Nine Tennis Coverage

Loving the commentary by Brenton Speed

2 Likes

Has he signed with 9? Looks like he has left FOX because he’s been doing NRL for 9 too

From what I can gather, he joined Nine in April and his first assignment (if that’s the right word for it) was calling the Cowboys vs Dolphins match that same month.

He could come in handy come next year’s Australian Open and Paris Olympics.

8 Likes

That Paris backdrop on the set is spectacular

3 Likes

Brenton Speed officially joined the Nine Network back in March.

10 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Stan Sport

note to mods: link is somewhat relevant

1 Like

5 Likes

The scheduling has been kind for Nine to show the Aussies this week

11 Likes

More well deserved praise for Brenton Speed, he’s going very well with Todd and Jelana tonight on the Kokkinakis match. He’s much better at this than AFL commentary by far!

7 Likes
1 Like

Maybe they’re not/weren’t contracted to broadcast the women’s doubles final?

1 Like

And why wouldn’t Nine air tonight’s Djokovic final on their main channel, 11pm, c’mon? And could’ve been well timed being a long weekend (extra late viewers) and with AFL finished and looks like cricket will be over too. I suppose as last two weeks have been on 9Gem for familiarity. Still time to change their mind… @TV.Cynic

6 Likes

10:30 start has been promoted all day and tonight.

5 Likes

Didn’t show the mens last night either. Its on Stan, thats enough

I enjoyed last night’s French Open final coverage, very nicely done. Impressed by Stosur too.

6 Likes

Same, the whole panel team has been really good and insightful this year.

4 Likes

Yeah, the coverage was fantastic throughout the fortnight.

Also, that will be the end of the 3 year deal they had. Hopefully they renew

4 Likes

Last night while watching the Roland Garros final, I was thinking about next Aussie summer, Nine should try to lure Ash Barty into the commentary bunker and/or try to get back John McEnroe or Kyrgios when he’s not playing, just for some extra novelty and ‘zing’ factor. And if Aussies get knocked out or there’s a match that’s not as high profile or exciting, could help lift the telecast and given TV ratings landscape is only going down further… Especially with a brand new half a billion dollar broadcast deal commencing in 2025. Since Nine got rights, they’ve had great success and done well rejuvenating the coverage, including more broadly acquiring the other slams and putting more effort into that too plus 9Now and especially Stan and had a lot of luck headlined by Ash Barty and capping off with last year’s incredible final… But just feel they’ll need to do something more now, that ‘next level’. Would be keen on any thoughts. We have to remember Seven wanted the tennis back, Warburton made no secret of that drip-feeding to media. No matter higher or lower viewerships, its power for Nine is its more balanced demographic appeal (i.e.) women and young and the partnerships they can lock-up, as well as having all majors, French Open just finished might’ve even paid for itsself in that regard and the reach across a 2 week tournament all day every night espeically the AO is crucial for not just ads but network promos, leading-in to Q1 the day after with Married launch. @TV.Cynic

2 Likes

Nine will want to renew Roland Garros and Wimbledon then get Davis/BJK Cup and Atp/Wta exclusively

6 Likes