Nine/Stan Rugby Union Coverage

Yeah they’ve done this for a while :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for that :slight_smile:

I only really watch Crusaders games and the timeslot for most of them means I’m usually flicking between that and domestic sport, so I miss a lot, sadly.

1 Like

Sounds like Stan had Sky NZ’s Jeff McTainsh doing on air interviews for them tonight, despite no Australian involvement.

2 Likes

Or were they just taken from the Sky feed?

Na, he was using a WWOS/Stan mic (spotted him in the background of one of the Sky shots watching locally)

1 Like

Karl Stefanovic’s chat with new Rugby Australia CEO (and former Wallaby) Phil Waugh will stream on Stan Sport later this week.

Stan Sport has also released the broadcast schedule for the upcoming Rugby Championship and Bledisloe Cup.

Only three matches will be shown on FTA: Australia v Argentina (July 15), and both matches between Australia and New Zealand (July 29 and August 5).

1 Like

Why isn’t the South Africa game on FTA?

I’d think it’s because Nine’s main channel is showing cricket and 9Gem is showing Wimbledon at the same time.

3 Likes

Last season the Australian away games, apart from v NZ, were exclusive to Stan too.

1 Like

This never happened when 10 had the rights

But Ten only had the rights to Wallabies games, they didn’t have the rest of the rights like Nine does. Putting them behind a paywall does affect the FTA viewer, but it creates the incentive to purchase a Stan Sport subscription.

1 Like

I’m sure there were occasions Ten didn’t show the tests in South Africa.

3 Likes

Even if they want to keep that live exclusivity to Stan, I think Nine should put the game up delayed on 9now, or show a Sunday morning replay on Gem.

I dont think keeping a national team game entirely paywalled is doing rugby, therefore Nine any good. The balance just isnt there

But it’s not/

Comments above say otherwise. Where can I watch the Wallabies vs Springboks game for free then?

But that’s an incorrect statement. “A national team…entirely paywalled” is not true. The Wallabies do feature on FTA.

Also, no one will be watching at past midnight anyway.

2 Likes

They also have 9GO!

1 Like

What’s the point though? No one will be watching they’d be watching the cricket or the tennis in HD.

Very cheeky foxyrover. Why … when the only word youre omitting is ‘game’. The very word which makes it a true statement.

Having any Wallabies game behind a paywall isnt good for the sport. I understand trying to entice viewers to their subscription option, which is why I suggested they allow a delayed viewing option

2 Likes

So you’d rather they then go “oh, ratings for the delay were alright, let’s just delay them all”?