Nine Sports Broadcasting

The full fixture was released today as promised. The marquee games to look for include the Round 1 derby between the NSW Swifts and GIANTS Netball, a Round 2 Grand Final rematch between West Coast Fever and Sunshine Coast Lightning, the Round 3 showdown between Queensland Firebirds and the Lightning, as well as the local derby between Melbourne Vixens and Collingwood Magpies being held on Queen’s Birthday for the first time (the match will start at midday AEST before the AFL clash between the Demons and the Pies at 3.20pm). Matches will also be played in regional areas for the first time, in Bendigo and Launceston. More details can be found here

1 Like

I missed this at the time.
Collingwood have played the Queensland Firebirds in Launceston the past 2 seasons.

The 2019 Suncorp Super Netball fixture was recently updated with venue and telecast details. From the start of this season, the Queensland Firebirds will play all their matches in their brand new home court at Queensland State Netball Centre in Nathan in Brisbane’s south east, adjacent to QEII Stadium.

9Gem will broadcast next week’s Netball Quad Series, to be held in Liverpool and London in England, as a warm-up tournament to the Netball World Cup in Liverpool this July. 9Gem will only broadcast matches involving Australian Diamonds who are the defending champions. The times are:

1 Like

Not hopeful, but would like to see if Nine can do something about the picture quality of sports on 9Gem.

Some of the Sydney International tennis recently has looked dreadful, probably as bad as I’ve seen sport look on a secondary channel.

3 Likes

why cant the netball games be on the main channel in HD. The Quad Series games were played in the middle of the night yet only the games were on gem in shit quality

This morning’s Game started at 5am on the eastern seaboard and finished around 6:30…

I thought it was 4am?

Well if it was 5, at least the other 2 games could have been on nine or they could have made Gem HD for sporting events (like they should)

It may have been delayed because the first match ran 20 minutes over due to extra time. Either way it was never going to finish before Today. And it’s niche content nonetheless.

1 Like

Former netballer and last year’s contestant on The Block, Bianca Chatfield, is joining Women’s Footy panel show this year, replacing Clint Stanaway. Chatfield will join former Crows AFLW player Abbey Holmes (also part of Seven’s AFLW and VFL commentary team) and Herald Sun’s Lauren Wood.

Women’s Footy returns next Sunday, February 3 at midday on Nine.

1 Like

I wonder if Nine will use her for the Netball coverage?

Nine’s Super Netball commentary team is pretty full at the moment, so who knows?

Netball Australia has unveiled a Pre Season SSN tournment ‘Suncorp Girls Can Cup’ to be held at the new Brisbane Arena.

Teams are placed in 2 pools with both winners facing off in the Grand Final.

All games are on Telstra TV with the Grand Final to be broadcasted on Nine

1 Like

The pre-season tournament will be held on March 8-10 (same weekend as the opening round of 2019 NRL season) which means the grand final will probably be shown live on 9Gem.
The full fixture can be found here

Coverage is due to finish at 4pm EDT, not sure why it wouldn’t be on 9 instead of 9Gem outside of NSW/QLD.

1 Like

The 2018/19 NBL semi finals line-up have been decided.

EDIT: 9GO! will show game 2 of Perth Wildcats v Brisbane Bullets semi-final on the Saturday, and game 2 of Melbourne United v Sydney Kings semi-final on the Sunday. Broadcast times as follows:
Saturday 2 March: Brisbane v Perth, 2.30pm AEDT (tip-off 2.50pm AEDT)
Sunday 3 March: Sydney v Melbourne, 2.00pm AEDT (tip-off 2.20pm AEDT)

3 Likes

NBL owner Larry Kestelman hopes to convince Nine to broadcast the games on the main channel in high definition next season, with one night game and the other late Sunday afternoon, he has told The Australian. He also expects the Boomers matches against the USA later this year to be on free-to-air, and is hoping to convince Fox Sports to extend their deal and to actually hand over some money.

Saturday night?

Gee, you think Larry has finally worked out that Viceland is at least HD and that main channel on SBS is at least a better option than blur-o-vision on 9Go…?
Yes, would be great if LK could convince Nine to show some HD games where possible, not holding my breath though. Good luck getting money out of Fox!
I see 9’s finals coverage stinks too. Had 8 of 9 finals on free to air last year (3 delayed on ABC), getting 2 of possibly 6 so not sure how they’re getting a better deal?

6 Likes