Nine Sports Broadcasting

I wonder when Nine’s new tennis broadcast deal commences, if they’ll persuade TA to let them keep Hot Seat at 5:30pm?

As Nine News consistently held up well, if not outperformed Seven News, during the Australian Open (where Seven rest The Chase - viewers don’t seem to agree).

I remember Seven kept The Chase during Rio 2016 (albeit time zone differences with no live sport at the time), but rested it again during Winter Olympics and Comm Games this year.

The Chase Australia still aired during the Pyeongchang 2018 Games.

I think that Hot Seat will probably rest during January period. A Current Affair will be on hiatus during the summer holidays.

NINE SECURES RIGHTS TO MELBOURNE WORLD CUP OF GOLF

Nine today announced it will be the official Australian broadcast partner for the 59th Melbourne World Cup of Golf to be held in Melbourne at The Metropolitan Golf Club on 22-25 November 2018.

The PGA TOUR and Nine will partner together when the world’s best golfers return to Melbourne’s famed Sandbelt, to battle it out with each other and for national pride, in a bid to be named World Cup champions.

Tom Malone, Nine’s Director of Sport said, “Nine and Wide World of Sports are delighted to be partnering with the PGA TOUR to broadcast this terrific event. With the world’s best players competing for their country and against each other in a thrilling format, the World Cup of Golf will be the focus of the sporting world in late November.”

The agreement provides Nine with live broadcast rights and replays, with five hours of competition broadcast each day as well as a one-hour highlights program for use on broadcast, social media and 9Now. The TOUR will also provide other video clips and features as part of an overall partnership with Nine.

“The Melbourne World Cup of Golf is one of the most unique and historic events in golf with a truly global field. As a team event where teammates represent their countries, there is compelling competition between nations and team patriotism,” said Robyn Cooper, Executive Director of the World Cup of Golf. “We are thrilled that Nine will be our domestic partner to help capture the exciting competition on the course while bringing the stories of our global and diverse competitors to life.”

Very few professional golfers get to embrace the opportunity to compete for their country while joining a collection of golf’s biggest names who have made their mark on the World Cup of Golf. Australia’s own Peter Thomson and Kel Nagle were winners in 1954. Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer won four titles. Tiger Woods, Ernie Els, Lee Trevino, Gary Player, and Seve Ballesteros have all been winners, as have Adam Scott and Jason Day who won at Royal Melbourne in 2013.

1 Like

Some sporting content on Nine to fill in the gap between the NRL Grand Final and tennis.

Nine should secure more golf content and become the FTA home of golf and tennis.

Seven still has the rights to Australian Open and Australian PGA Championship. I guess the World Cup of Golf is a separate deal?

I wonder if Nine might try and pick up the rights to the Australian Open/PGA golf tournaments after the current agreement with Seven ends though?

Probably, although I do wonder how Australian Golf would feel about potentially having coverage of the Open/PGA relegated to a multichannel this year with Seven (understandably) likely to prioritise the cricket over the golf for the main channel?

Are the deals done with Golf Australia? Golf Victoria / individual states? Or individual tournaments?

Also, isn’t Australian Open and PGA under PGA Tour Australia? But Masters (on hiatus, now “World Cup of Golf”) is separate - which may explain Seven’s rights and now Nine’s rights?

Both events won’t clash with the cricket - aside from three women’s international T20s in late September (to be precise, AFL GF day) & into early October, the men’s tests don’t start until December 6

1 Like

Ahh, good to know. I remember there being days last year when the golf & cricket overlapped so just presumed the same might happen this year.

1 Like

So Nine is becoming Seven and Seven becoming Nine? :thinking:

3 Likes

Gold Coast Marathon - highlights Saturday at midday - no info received but mentioned on Nine News

Heard Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy take a swipe at Channel 9 Melbourne for cutting the coverage of the 3rd Origin game on Wednesday Night to go to The AFL Footy Show. Claimed it was disrespectful to Billy Slater who was retiring from rep footy.

Have to say it wasn’t unexpected. Being in Tasmania through the week it was the same story down there. So I was filthy that I didn’t get to see the Blues lift the shield

4 Likes

Good on him. Someone has to call them out - I was filthy

2 Likes

Has GTV ever shown it?

Within the last week the FA Cup broadcasters Wikipedia article has been edited to say the Nine Network has the rights.

Can’t find any evidence to back it up.

Wikipedia is often wrong. I think ESPN still has the principal Australian broadcast rights.

Surprised Nine aren’t all over this if it is true - BUT then there was a lacklustre promotion of the Netball rights

Nothing here either - it still says SBS - in fact no mention of Nine in relation to soccer (nor ABC for that matter) - also lists Ten and Seven for FTA broadcasters of Soccer

I believe the previous ESPN deal was six years and signed in 2012 so i think it would have concluded now.

Indeed, that’s why I’m interested in chasing it up. Optus would be keen to add to their soccer portfolio, Ten might also be interested, along with BeinSports.