Nine Sports Broadcasting

Crocmedia production/time buy like Future Stars and the state based footy programs are over the winter.

Tiffany Cherry has written an opinion article in the Herald Sun, describing Nine’s decision to replace her with Clint Stanaway as the host of Women’s Footy magazine show as a backward step.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/aflw-show-being-hosted-by-a-man-welcome-to-womens-footy-on-nine/news-story/e0adb16ac16aee91c41d82f07d38d426

The 2018 Australian Boardriders Battle Series Final, featuring Australia’s best boardrider clubs, was held at Newcastle Beach yesterday afternoon and shown on 9GO! (live in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide, and on 1-hour delay in Perth). A 30-minute highlights show will air on Nine on Sunday April 1, at 1pm in Sydney and Brisbane, and 1.30pm in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth. Culburra Beach narrowly beat Merewether in the surfing contest to win the national title.

1 Like

Why would they wait 6 weeks to show a 1 hour highlight show?

I also note 1st April is Easter Sunday, smack bang in the middle of another non ratings period.

Nine has applied for the trademarks 100% Netball and 100% Cricket, in addition to 100% Footy which is the new name of the NRL program on Monday nights. Maybe the Cricket show will get a new name next summer?

1 Like

By the same token, will there be a new panel show called 100% Netball? When Fox Sports had netball rights it did not have a discussion program related to the sport.
(During the 1990s there was a fictional panel show called The Netty Show, a parody of the AFL Footy Show. It appeared inside Full Frontal on Seven)

4 Likes

I was just thinking of The Netty Show !!

Can’t remember who played “Sam” in that though? I don’t think it was Magda Szubanski?

I think it was Kitty Flanagan

Just saw a promo for next month’s US Masters golf, which will be shown live on 9Gem and streamed live on 9Now on all four days of play. This was similar to last year when the tournament was shown live on 7mate. It means fans will need to subscribe to Foxtel to see the golf in HD.

9now is HD albeit not as good as Fox Sports HD.

2 Likes

The Masters

5 - 9 April on 9Gem and 9Now

Australian viewers will watch local heroes Jason Day, Adam Scott, Marc Leishman and Cameron Smith vie for the prestigious green jacket on free-to-air TV, as well as three live streams on 9Now.

Nine’s Director of Sport, Tom Malone, says it’s a huge win for golf fans. “The Aussies are playing well, and Tiger Woods looks to have his groove back. Between 9Gem and 9Now, viewers will have four different channels to choose from.”

Coverage of The Masters, one of golf’s four major tournaments, will commence on Thursday, April 5, with the traditional Par 3 Competition where wives and girlfriends, children and grandchildren all caddy in a family affair for Masters competitors.

Day 1 of The Masters commences on Friday, April 6, from 5.00am AEDT through to 9.00am nationwide on 9Gem. There will also be three live streams available on 9Now: Amen Corner, Holes 15 and 16, and Featured Groups.

Nine sports reporter Neil Breen will provide round-the-clock coverage from Augusta National on Nine News, Today, Today Extra and the Wide World of Sports web and mobile platforms.

Broadcast Times

Par 3 Competition
Thursday 5 April

Sydney 5.00am – 7.00am LIVE on 9GEM and 9Now
Brisbane 5.00am – 7.00am LIVE on 9GEM and 9Now
Melbourne 5.00am – 7.00am LIVE on 9GEM and 9Now
Adelaide 4.30am – 6.30am LIVE on 9GEM and 9Now
Perth 3.00am – 5.00am LIVE on 9GEM and 9Now

Day 1 and 2
Friday 6 April and Saturday 7 April

Sydney 5.00am – 9.30am LIVE on 9GEM and 9Now
Brisbane 5.00am – 9.30am LIVE on 9GEM and 9Now
Melbourne 5.00am – 9.30am LIVE on 9GEM and 9Now
Adelaide 4.30am – 9.00am LIVE on 9GEM and 9Now
Perth 3.00pm – 7.30am LIVE on 9GEM and 9Now

Day 3
Sunday 8 April

Sydney 5.00am – 9.00am LIVE on 9GEM and 9Now
Brisbane 5.00am – 9.00am LIVE on 9GEM and 9Now
Melbourne 5.00am – 9.00am LIVE on 9GEM and 9Now
Adelaide 4.30am – 8.30am LIVE on 9GEM and 9Now
Perth 3.00pm – 7.00am LIVE on 9GEM and 9Now

Day 4
Monday 9 April

Sydney 4.00am – 9.00am LIVE on 9GEM and 9Now
Brisbane 4.00am – 9.00am LIVE on 9GEM and 9Now
Melbourne 4.00am – 9.00am LIVE on 9GEM and 9Now
Adelaide 3.30am – 8.30am LIVE on 9GEM and 9Now
Perth 2.00pm – 7.00am LIVE on 9GEM and 9Now

ON 9NOW

Featured Groups: Follow each shot of the two groups chosen as featured groups.
Amen Corner: Full live coverage of the action at holes 11, 12 and 13.
15 and 16: Full live coverage of the action at holes 15 and 16

3 Likes

Left the following info off the above Masters’ release

ON 9NOW

Featured Groups: Follow each shot of the two groups chosen as featured groups.
Amen Corner: Full live coverage of the action at holes 11, 12 and 13.
15 and 16: Full live coverage of the action at holes 15 and 16.

Huge if true. Good news for viewers. Hopefully seven won’t have any sports to broadcast in summer.

3 Likes

Cameron Williams just announced on Twitter that Channel 9 have won the rights to the Australian Open and will broadcast from 2020.

1 Like

I wonder if this means Foxtel will get a slice of the action now? Hard to see 9 giving equal to or more coverage than 7 have the past few years.

No confirmation yet from the Twitter accounts of Tennis Australia or Australian Open.
Nine seems to have a habit of ending long run of sport on Seven: first the AFL, then the Australian Masters golf, and now seemingly the Australian Open.
But if confirmed this will be the start of a pretty long rotation of summer sport rights. Even though Nine’s current deal with Tour Down Under still has a few years to run, I can’t see how it will juggle tennis and cycling either.

None does have four channels, and 9Now.

Wouldn’t Tour Down Under organisers want the event to be shown on the main channel and in HD though?

That crossed my mind. Could we see a 9Gem HD simulcast by then maybe? (Off topic, but I am hoping the datacasting channels will all soon fade into oblivion which would free up space).