Nine Sports Broadcasting

Yes I think Liggett is exclusive to NBCSN

Way too many ads in this Tour Down Under coverage. Appears like itā€™s 4 mins of ads, 3-4 mins of racing and 2 mins of unnecessary puff piece.

2 Likes

So do ITV in the UK.

Iā€™m astonished that Nine would get this. I thought Ten would get it because The Masters is shown on CBS in the US.

I donā€™t know how many times this needs to be said on this forum but just because CBS shows/has rights to something doesnā€™t mean Ten will also show/will get rights to said thing

7 Likes

3 ODIā€™s will be played over the next week and a half.

Just seen that the ODI in Perth at the new Optus Stadium will go head-to-head with the Australian Open Menā€™s Final. WTF!? Have CA got rocks in their head? Did they not learn anything from scheudling the BBL final against the Womenā€™s Final last year?

I want to see the new stadium, but I am not going to be watching on the Aus Open final night, nearly all viewers would agree Iā€™m sure :grimacing: Great way to alienate viewers, itā€™s not Nineā€™s fault.

Last year, I recall Nine were thumped by Seven on each occasion due to the Australian Open (to be fair, it would depend on the match, which unfortunately were all big names and close).

So will be interesting to see how they perform this year. I guess both sports also cancel each other out a little too.

ā€“

Wondering if some of Nineā€™s crew will be there early, to test their camera positions / systems at Optus Stadium?

Am I wrong to say that nearly every year there is International Cricket going up against Menā€™s Open Final whether its ODI or T20. Well if it is, its not new. Not all cricket fans would want to watch the tennis.

4 Likes

I canā€™t recall there being another sport event against the Menā€™s Final in recent times, certainly not last year?

Regardless, itā€™s one of the biggest TV events of the year.

You wouldnā€™t schedule another sport against an NRL GF or SOO (both of which rated lower than the Aus Open final last year).

Hence my point.

Very annoying for fans of both codes.

If an Aussie and/or a Federer/Nadal/Djokovic makes the final, expect a max. of ~400-500k for this ODI (which would be terrible).

SEVENā€™S TENNIS: 2016 AUSTRALIAN OPEN - MENā€™S FINAL Network Seven 1,619,000
TWENTY/20 - AUSTRALIA V INDIA GAME 3 Network Nine 1,026,000

SEVENā€™S TENNIS: 2015 AUST OPEN - MENā€™S FINAL Network 7 1,881,000
ONE DAY CRICKET - FINAL SESSION 2 Network 9 991,000

SEVENā€™S TENNIS: 2014 AUST OPEN - MENā€™S FINAL Network 7 1,661,000
ONE DAY CRICKET -AUSTRALIA V ENGLAND GAME 5 SESSION 1 Network 9 942,000

5 Likes

Okay, thank you for that Cynic. I wasnā€™t unequivocal, Iā€™d just forgotten, given last year.

But still, both those ratings are below 1m.

Last Sunday nearly 1.2m for ODI at the MCG.

So at least 250-300k cricket fans, go to tennis (not an exact estimate, but good enough).

Iā€™d be interested to see the last time an ODI went up against a high 2m+ Aus Open final (itā€™d be 2006 or earlier). Iā€™d guess cricket would rate lower than 900k.

For many years it coincided with Adelaide test match.

2 Likes

Used to be 6 tests

Adelaide was traditionally Australia Day during the 80s and 90s, possibly earlier. Test cricket being done an an dusted by the first weekend of January is relatively recent.

3 Likes

Depends whoā€™s playing. Thereā€™s 6 next summer 2 v Sri Lanka and 4 v India, stretching into January. In 70-71 there were a whopping 7 tests against England. Thereā€™s been a couple of 6 test series against England and the West Indies off the top of my head but usually a 6 test summer will be split between two touring teams.

1 Like

With the weather temp in the low 40ā€™s in adelaide tomorrow again; the TDU has been moved forward by an hour. Nine yet to up date officially, but Tim did mention during the coverage, expect the boardcast time to start earlier on GEM than advertised.

It was hell out on the roads of South Australia today! 43 in the shade.

Update;
9Gem will show the stage LIVE across Australia from 10:30am (ACDT).

1 Like

Womenā€™s Footy starts its second season this Sunday at 10.30am on Nine in Melbourne and Adelaide, with Clint Stanaway replacing Tiffany Cherry as host. Clint will be joined by Herald Sun reporter Lauren Wood and this weekā€™s guest, Carlton AFLW captain Lauren Arnell. Due to the one-day cricket from Optus Stadium, Perth will miss the first episode and will join the following Sunday.

2 Likes

There was actually 6 tests in 70-71. The reason there was a 7th test was because the 3rd test was washed out without a ball being bowled.

The abandoned test still counts as a test. Indeed, the seventh was only arranged along with the ODI in Melbourne after the third test was abandoned. No doubt Badman wanting to recoup some money at the gate.

WVFL? Did Nine pick these rights up from Seven?

Itā€™s a magazine/ review programme. Like the Sunday Footy Show.

1 Like