Nine Sports Broadcasting

Both games should really be on the main channel - a ‘do or die’ WC qualifier is more important than Weekend Today

4 Likes

A little bit about why the Women’s test match isn’t on free to air:

sign of the times for 9 there. Hmm…

The last line of the article, ABC grandstand is broadcasting the game online.

Well I wonder if we see an article by the ABC outlining why it didn’t boardcast the game on the main ABC radio station in each state?

That is a cheap shot at a poke at nine for not showing it on the main while they don’t even have it on main radio, again another rubbish article by the ABC!

The game will be on the main ABC radio station in each state this Saturday and Sunday afternoon.

Nine aren’t showing it at all which I can understand. Must admit I only listen to digital radio now and it’s on Gransrand, not sure about analogue.

I found it not so much a dig at None but a behind the scenes looks at a four day OB and the costs involved.

Unfortunately, Perth viewers had to watch the match live on 9Go! Because at 4:30PM, it will clash with Hot Seat, and news at 6pm.
Two reasons why the Socceroos v Honduras match was screened on 9Go! in Perth:

• Western Australia does not observe daylight saving. WA is 3 hours behind NSW/VIC.
  • With limited appeal in soccer for Perth, Nine will prioritise schedules accordingly.

DUring the first 5 mins of the game there was a technical problem with the commentary. Clint Stanaway and the team from Sydney studios did the commentary. After the technical problems 9Go viewers listened to Andy Harper and Simon Hill.

2 Likes

Noticed that, bizarre, you’d think it wouldn’t me that difficult.

Saturday morning itis?

But surely the soccer would rate better than whatever shit they normally have on at that time (Perth viewers hate Nine News).

Socceroos should be on Nine in Perth with news at 7pm replacing ACA.

2 Likes

SOCCEROOS’ WORLD CUP FATE ON THE LINE THIS WEDNESDAY

The stage has been set for an epic winner-take-all World Cup qualifying showdown between the Socceroos and Honduras this Wednesday from 7.30pm* on Nine’s Wide World of Sports.

After a nil-all draw in the away leg in Honduras, the Socceroos return home in a situation similar to Australia’s heart-stopping win over Uruguay in 2005, which sent the nation into raptures.

All hands will be on deck for Ange Postecoglou on Wednesday night as the Socceroos, spearheaded by stars Tim Cahill, Mile Jedinak and Aaron Mooy, face their final hurdle to qualify for Russia 2018 and their fourth consecutive FIFA World Cup.

The Socceroos have taken the long route on the road to Russia after missing out on automatic qualification, but have fought bravely to keep their World Cup dream alive in this final two-leg showdown.

A packed ANZ Stadium will spur on the Socceroos who need to win to avoid the tricky away goal rule where one Honduras away goal counts for two on the goal aggregate if the match ends in a draw.

Socceroos legend Craig Moore again joins the Wide World of Sports commentary team for this exciting encounter, alongside WWOS football expert Michael Bridges and host Clint Stanaway.

Nine’s Director of Sport, Tom Malone, said: “It doesn’t get any bigger than this. One match. Must win. Home crowd. The pressure on the Socceroos is intense and we’re expecting a huge television audience to get right behind them.”

Wednesday, November 15

Sydney 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 7.00pm LIVE on Nine pre-show from 6.30pm on 9GO!
Adelaide 7.30pm LIVE on Nine pre-show from 7.00pm on 9GO!
Perth 4.30pm LIVE on 9Go!

*check local guides for details

Aggregate score explained

• One away goal scored equals two goals on the aggregate score only if the match ends in a draw
• If the aggregate score is tied at the end of normal time, the match will go into extra time, if it is still tied at the end of extra time both teams will enter a penalty shoot-out.
• Any win by the Socceroos will send them to the FIFA World Cup 2018.

2 Likes

Good to see such a crucial match given main channel treatment (and says a lot about how FFF has been performing).

Though given soccer’s niche supporter base in Australia, not quite sure how it’ll rate, can it get another ~300k+ on top of what it has been averaging?

Nine will be hoping it beats Instant Hotel.

Socceroos’ world cup qualifiers aren’t niche. A League yeah sure.

7 Likes

Yes, well, I was talking about soccer in Australia holistically, if the sport were popular, it’d be reflected in the regular / domestic code(s).

Aussies get behind any international event, as they should.

I’ll never forget 2005.

This could also be Nine’s final non-news program to rate massive.

2013 match that qualified the Socceroos scored over 1.1m and that was on SBS + against House Rules, The Block and MasterChef!

Good Doctor will be the only program to rate similar this week.

1 Like

2 Likes

Is this the ACA Studio?

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

So does Clint Stanaway now work for Nine Sydney? Or do they get him to fly every time?

I like Clint, but boy Nine’s sport presenting cupboard must be empty? I know Ken Sutcliffe retired and Ray Warren is approaching retirement.

Not really a presenter.

2 Likes