Nine Sports Broadcasting

FOOTBALL ON NINE

Football fans have a massive week ahead with Nine broadcasting the Socceroos’ vital World Cup qualifier against Saudi Arabia, as well as head-to-head games with two of the world’s greatest football nations – Argentina and Brazil – beginning Thursday, June 8 from 7:30pm AEST on 9GO! and 9Now.

With the Socceroos versus Saudi Arabia on Thursday, it’s a must-win match for Ange Postecoglou’s team in their bid to secure an all-important top-two finish in their group – assuring automatic entry into Russia 2018.

Then, on Friday night, live and exclusive from the MCG in front of 100,000 football mad fans, it’s the blockbuster between Brazil and Argentina - one of the biggest rivalries in sport. The event will be headlined by one of the greatest footballers of all time, global superstar Lionel Messi.

And, on Tuesday, the Socceroos get their chance to take on the Brazilians as the MCG again hosts the five-time World Cup champions.

Socceroo legend Harry Kewell will join Nine’s coverage to provide his insight into the games, along with Wide World of Sports football expert and former EPL and A-League star Michael Bridges and renowned football commentator David Basheer.

Nine’s Director of Sport, Tom Malone said: “This is going to be a massive few days of football with Wide World of Sports the only place to see the Socceroos, Brazil and Argentina this weekend. There’s so much riding on the Socceroos’ clash at the beautiful Adelaide Oval, and then Messi at the MCG – what a sight that will be!”

** Please check local guides for details.

2 Likes

I’m confused as to why Nine didn’t air tonight’s World Cup qualifier on the main channel, at least in Adelaide?

Perhaps there was an agreement with Foxtel that they wouldn’t?

Surely it’d have rated higher than RBT & The Last Resort!

4 Likes

Maybe they thought a non-sport alternative would rate better, given the AFL and NRL competition in the same timeslot?

1 Like

Yes, I agree tonight was very split and convoluted with the AFL and NRL also broadcasting.

Ratings/shares will be rather interesting.

1 Like

Graphics are different than last night.

2 Likes

How can Nine call itself “Home of the Socceroos” (according to its promo of next Tuesday’s friendly between Australia and Brazil) when it is Fox Sports which holds the principal rights to Socceroos matches?

2 Likes

And especially when the 3 games (potentially 5 games if miracles happen) after it are on SBS (Confed Cup is a FIFA Tournament which SBS have the rights for)

4 Likes

when also TEN holds the rights to Socceroos from next year

They’re not going to say “Home of the Socceroos until Ten’s rights kick in” are they?

Sunshine Coast Lightning and Giants Netball, two of the new clubs of Suncorp Super Netball, will clash in the grand final next Saturday evening in Brisbane. The match will be shown from 7pm AEST on Nine in the east coast and 9Gem in Adelaide and Perth.

1 Like

Considering that the Lightning and the Giants are, to use an American term, the two smallest market teams in the competition, I wouldn’t be surprised if Nine moved the game to Gem on the east coast (or at least just Melbourne) to save themselves the embarrassment of low ratings.

The WCQ was a Fox production that Nine used, so its their scoreboard.
The friendly Friday was a Nine production, so a different scoreboard. I prefer the Nine one, I could actually read that one!

Different graphics from fox sports feed

2 Likes

Tonight’s netball from Brisbane

6 Likes

Clint Stanaway told viewers that the Netball tests will be held in August and September, which will be live on 9Gem.

Is it just me or is Emma Freedman a terrible presenter on this Sports Sunday show. Barely watchable sorry…Seems to start yelling at everyone in order to get things under control.

1 Like

Phew. I thought it was just me. I sadly feel the same about her. She has always seems to be yelling at people, especially at those who don’t share the same thoughts as hers.

I do like the format of the Sports Sunday show (I didn’t when it started a few months ago, but have warmed to it).

Some of those panelists deserved to be shouted over. :slight_smile:

She’s a bit bogan but I like her.

It was a great game, crowd and atmosphere even though it wasn’t close in the end. Thank goodness they went with Sue Gaudion in commentary and left out Anne Sargeant. The trophy for the new competition is awful.

1 Like

Netball Australia announced last week that the 2018 Suncorp Super Netball season will begin in April next year, following the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games in April, to allow for an uninterrupted season. That means the whole next season will overlap with the AFL and the NRL as well as Wallabies’ test season in June.