Nine Sports Broadcasting

Good purchase for Nine. You’d think Fox Sports would’ve been all over these recently removed anti-siphoned events.

They are all over this, the Nine blurb states: “FOX SPORTS, who is the STV broadcaster, will also screen the Tournament.”

I meant exclusively. Fox Sports can now buy these events to broadcast exclusively without FTA.

The second the Masters was removed from the anti-siphoning list, Fox Sports should’ve been on the phone with Augusta doing an exclusivity deal.

2 Likes

Foxtel has rights too with Fox Sports and Fox Now.

This event has been missing from FTA for some time, hasn’t it?

I remember Ten used to broadcast it years ago, with Tim Webster / Brad McEwan hosting.

I believe it’s during the morning (early) our time from memory. I try and watch a few holes.

Last couple of years it has been on Seven.

1 Like

7 have had it since 2014. It was on ten for 6 years before that and nine before that again

Not surprised Nine has regained the rights to the US Masters. Seven is in costcutting mode so it is not renewing the rights. Besides, this year’s tournament clashes with the Commonwealth Games anyway.

Wonder how much Nine pay, for little value?

It is fantastic for FTA and golf fans though.

I’m pretty sure Augusta National regulates the amount of ad content allowed on broadcasts.

Certainly they have an agreement with CBS to do so and having watched coverage internationally, while there is no World Feed as such, the amount of ads is reduced from other tournaments.

Seems a bit of a dud purchase to me given lack of exclusivity and the ad-restriction, but could pay dividends if an Aussie wins like Scott in 2013.

1 Like

A particular point I agree with.

Like, even if an Aussie wins, instead of Seven and Ten being forced to flash Nine’s watermark on their network (for credit), they’ll (as always with AFL / NRL) just use Foxtel’s.

Because clearly that’s the most important part of having exclusive sports, obviously.

3 Likes

You’ve attempted sarcastic humour. And failed. But I forgive you
seXr43ZS-7d3EbhyOKJEtIpMc6HyNKYs3vfTbMgEvueTYhcddJZrM1yycVSbSlYMZ-y6dO_5oZEN68wLmTLXCdDMigwGs8YudA=w500-h211-nc

Uh, it’s only a burn when a third party identifies it as such.

I’m a third party, and can confirm that it was most definitely not a burn.

5 Likes

seXr43ZS-7d3EbhyOKJEtIpMc6HyNKYs3vfTbMgEvueTYhcddJZrM1yycVSbSlYMZ-y6dO_5oZEN68wLmTLXCdDMigwGs8YudA=w500-h211-nc

10 Likes

Touché

Do Nine have a systemic look for their sport? I know they have an opener / closer.

Seven do, re-launched in 2012 and tweaked along the way.

Ten have an opener, but apart from that their presentation looks nothing alike among their sports.

I’d argue ten barely have sport.

The only sport they produce is the bbl. the rest is simulcast rubbish that no one watches

2 Likes

Australian Grand Prix, Bathurst and the rest of the V8s all rate?

It’s 4 minutes per hour, and in the US only 5 companies pay big money to be a sponsor with next to no advertising allowed.