Nine Sports Broadcasting

The Ashes coverage coming out of GTV9 tonight.

6 Likes

Last night the NRLW game went into Golden Point overtime. The game finished in time for the start of the NRL coverage at 7.30pm. In Syd/Bri it was on 9Gem. The NRL started on main channel at 7.30 with Ashes on 9Gem. Had the game gone longer would it have been moved to 9Go or would it continue as part of the NRL coverage?

4 Likes

Caps?

See cricket topic.

1 Like
4 Likes

Possibly parts of Olympic hype/coverage?

2 Likes

I assume that refers to the four nations tournament in Melbourne later this month involving Australian Boomers?

1 Like

Yep, that’s the one.

9Now airing the World Para-Swimming Championships but the 9Now bug is on the bottom-left of the screen during replays

4 Likes

Boomers vs World International Basketball live and free on Nine

Boomers vs World International Basketball live and free on Nine

Australia’s best male basketballers will take on the world when the Boomers start out on their road to the 2024 Paris Olympics, live and free on the 9Network and 9Now, from Monday, August 14, at 7.30pm.

NBA STARS PATTY MILLS, JOSH GIDDEY AND JOE INGLES
4 GAMES FROM AUGUST 14 – FREE TO STREAM ON 9NOW

NBA stars Patty Mills and Josh Giddey will be front and centre as the Boomers play three games in one week against Venezuela, Brazil and South Sudan at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne.

Joining them in the squad are fellow NBA players Joe Ingles, Jock Landale, Dyson Daniels, Matisse Thybulle, Matthew Dellavadova, Josh Green, Jack White and Xavier Cooks.

The squad will then travel to Japan to play France on Sunday afternoon, August 2, at 2.00pm, also on the 9Network, as the French flavour warms up for the Paris-bound Boomers, who are striving to go better than the Olympic bronze medal they won at Tokyo in 2021.

In commentary for Nine’s Wide World of Sports will be Boomers legend Andrew Gaze, caller Brenton Speed and program host Tony Jones.

BOOMERS VS WORLD
AUGUST 14 – 20
WATCH ON THE 9NETWORK
STREAM ON 9NOW LIVE AND FREE

3 Likes

I wonder if this means they will broadcast the FIBA Basketball World Cup?

Nope, (sadly) ESPN has all the rights and no FTA component.

1 Like

I wonder why Nine suddenly shows its interest in basketball again? Could it bid for FTA rights to the NBL when it comes up for renewal in a couple of years?

3 Likes

Or Olympics hype for next year.

But I can see NBL keeping ESPN but do something like they have with the WNBL but the opposite where everything is on ESPN expect 1 game a week on a 9 multichannel & 9now

2 Likes

Good to see the Basketball Warm-Up matches on Nine/9Gem. A shame that the actual World Cup will be on ESPN.

Didn’t 10 have the NBL last season? They even telecasted a match on the main channel on Christmas night. Do 10 still have the rights for the upcoming season? Or has that expired?

Not sure what the rights are for the WNBL though. But would be nice to have Nine/multi-channels having at least a game a week on them.

2 Likes

I’d say this would be a solid factor, just like with FINA swimming recently.

1 Like

Ten have had the rights for the last two seasons, and will again for this season. I believe the whole broadcast package is up after this coming season, so it will be interesting to see where that goes. The rights have bounced around FTA for the last few years, so it really is anyone’s guess where they might end up.

Nine and ESPN signed a two-year deal last year, with 68 regular season games and select finals streaming on 9Now. No FTA broadcast presence as far as I know, only streaming.

4 Likes

Thanks for all that info.

It would be nice to have both NRL and WNBL packages together.

I can see, in a way, why Nine want to push some content for 9Now (with the WNBL). But it would only be for the die-hard fans of the game. For the casual fan, it would be nice to air the odd game on one of Nine’s multi-channels, like what they do for the NRLW, Sydney’s Rugby Shute Shield, etc.

1 Like

WNBL deal is that all games on 9Now with 1 game a week (Wednesday) on ESPN.

The NBL deal is with mainly with ESPN having all games with 10peach & 10Play having 2 Sunday afternoon games. Before that, it was ESPN & SBS.

NBL FTA has swapped around a lot, it was with 10, then 9 then SBS and now back to 10. So FTA could change again when the current deal ends

5 Likes

I’d note that the NBL is seperate from Basketball Australia and the WNBL is under BA, which might explain why BA has links with 9 (or the deal could’ve been done at the same time). FIBA also does their own deals for all the international competitions (excluding these friendlies), which is currently with ESPN exclusively.

Had a late night replay on ABC for a season too (I think SBS had a couple games live). Was changing from year to year for a while there.

2 Likes