Nine (Southern Cross)

That looks so amateurish.
How difficult would it be for SC9 to put it lower down (just covering the weather bit), and maybe yellow or red?

4 Likes

I get that these tickers are running as a community service for viewers, but at least display them in a way that doesn’t greatly interfere with program/news bulletin On-Screen graphics!

This example of the ticker covering up information in the supers on Nine News Now looks a bit dodgy IMO, the size of the ticker text could probably be lowered a bit as well.

5 Likes

Isn’t that the point of the ticker, to make people notice…

18 Likes

I doubt that SC would be creating different tickers for different programming. So it might be on and interrupting the news at the moment but later on it will be just normal programming and not over the top of anything.

2 Likes

Kind of defeats the purpose of having an emergency alert ticker. Make it even bigger if anything

8 Likes

It didn’t look very emergency-like.

2 Likes

I agree that in this case it SHOULD cover the Nine News ticker, as you don’t want viewers to be potentially reading information that is much less important.

It wouldn’t hurt them to make a design that fits in with the Nine’s Breaking News theme.

2 Likes

I don’t think it particularly matters if a bushfire alert message looks amateurish. In fact, it might even be better because it draws attention to the message and conveys a sense of urgency.

Compare that to the American one which fills the entire screen…

5 Likes

How old is that 4:3 slide?

A more recent US example :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That one I posted is the actual warning being issued from the government over the Emergency Alert System. The one you’ve posted is a supplemental thing generated by the broadcaster following the initial warning.

2 Likes

Just noticed Nine News Illawarra weather report tonight was a repeat of last nights (Wednesday).

4 Likes

That’s my problem with it. Light blue is a calming colour.

An emergency warning is almost always different mixes of red, yellow and black. That’s because humans are hardwired from millennia of evolution to distrust/be more alert around those colours (see the most dangerous spiders - they’re often those colours to scare away potential predators. They want to be left alone.)

3 Likes

Yeah I’ve heard about those. American governments of varying levels can disrupt the feed of local channels in times of emergency. Apparently it has also started happening lately in instances of child abduction too.

1 Like

So you would rather people panicked when they see an orange ticker, rather than remain calm with a blue one?

2 Likes

If the point of a ticker is to draw the attention of viewers toward an emergency, then yes I would say the colour choice is important here.

5 Likes

Is it an emergency or an information ticker? An information ticker can have the calming colours and shouldn’t need to distract to the point of the WIN watermark but if it’s a full on emergency evacuation then the bigger and more colourful the better.

2 Likes

Yeah but it’s not a news ticker, it’s to relay a public warning, therefore shouldn’t look like a news alert.

1 Like

Why not?
Nine Brisbane popup a normal 9 News super on normal programming with scrolling text whenever there is a Severe Thunderstorm Warning for that area.

2 Likes