Nine (Southern Cross)

So that’s where Nessie’s off to. What a pleasant surprise for someone to land such a big job after years of hardwork early in the morning at the ABC.

4 Likes

With SCAs terrible record with timing issues, etc. it’s going to be interesting to see how well they handle playing out different news segments in different markets.

On another note, with the enormous opportunity for cross-promotion across SCAs popular radio network, I can really see this being a big competitor to Regional QLD’s Seven News.

I’m also looking forward to the potential for more major regional stories being covered on Today, and the other national bulletins. They’ll certainly have news gathering staff in many more markets than 7 does currently.

4 Likes

Good to see Jo Hall back on newsreading duties - and great to hear some regional investment in news!

7 Likes

Do we know when all the jobs will be advertised?

It does have all the hallmarks of the 10 investment in news in 2010. I hope it turns out differently though this time.

3 Likes

Those wondering about different backdrops etc have either read too much into it or not thought enough. It’s Nine looking after this, not SCA, so basic things like consistency won’t be a worry.

No. The affiliation deal is funding this along with Nine seeing the benefit in revenue improving.

With the affiliation deal limited to the three aggregated markets, it’s a shame SA is left behind. A NWS journo who once worked for GTS could gain reading experience with the GTS bulletin brought back to within SA.

1 Like

SA isn’t really being left behind though? Unless you’re referring to the fact that the actual bulletin is broadcast from Canberra…

I guess SCA could move their local news to the Nine channels but while the ‘main’ station is under a Seven affiliation that won’t happen

Yes, can’t you read my mind.

In a one horse town… Define ‘main’.

In these areas where you are your own competitor, the main station can be whatever you want it to be. It doesn’t have to be the incumbent.

1 Like

I agree. What I’m trying to say is, is that I doubt SC would move their local news under GTS/BKN to the Nine channels they carry whilst they have their 7 channels known as Southern Cross, ‘just because’ SC and Nine are doing their regional news elsewhere

I’d say it would be the same as WIN in SA but we all know at this point all they carry on their branded channel is the WIN logo and not much else

2 Likes

In a one network regional market, you could probably show the local news bulletin on all three channels (eg - Ten affiliate at 6pm, Seven affiliate at 6.30pm, Nine affiliate at 7pm) if you really wanted to!

Not that such a scenario is likely to ever happen, of course!

3 Likes

I think WIN SA used to air news updates on all 3 of their primary channels.

It happens in the USA, a news simulcast on jointly owned channels (Hawaii and Guam channels do this iirc), or a separate bulletin on jointly owned channels eg in Los Angeles the CBS owned independent KCAL has local news at different times to CBS owned KCBS. A pity SC and WIN would never do this.

2 Likes

The 2 minute updates were on all 3 channels in the first ad break of each bulletin

Can’t recall if the full fledged WIN News ever did. Probably not because WIN only started carrying all of 7, 9 and 10’s digital channels (at the time) about 1-2 years before WIN News SA was canceled altogether

1 Like

But SCA may want to look towards consistency and streamlining their News setup. And what better timing would there be to remove the Southern Cross brand off their Seven Channels but to do so with a move of the news to Nine. Keep the same presenter and reporters but produce the bulletin under Nine.

The full fledged WIN News bulletin in SA was only ever shown on the main branded WIN channel, which before it was axed in 2013, was Nine.

Late removal of the “HD” add-on used on Today :expressionless:

2 Likes

Seeing a heap of 9Life promos during watching the highlights of the Third Test of the cricket from last night. Too bad viewers won’t be able to watch these as 9Life does not exist locally yet SCA. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I shouldn’t be surprised, but really??

2 Likes

Yep. Find it hard to believe these were mistakes as there’s been at least one every second ad-break so far. And to think they were doing so well in holding these back as this is the first time I’ve seen them being shown locally (excluding the dirty lineups from 9 Melbourne of course).

Wishful thinking on my part, but maybe 9Life is coming to the remaining regions this weekend?! :yum::wink:

Locally produced Ident/Promo for Planet Earth:

2 Likes