Nine (Southern Cross)

No more confusing than 10 on 5 or 7 on 6 or 9 on 8 as it’s been for years. It’s different but in a week or two people will have forgotten.

5 Likes

That’s not what I meant. I’m saying NBN and SC10 should change to 5 and 8 respectively while the have the opportunity.

In an ideal world, the regional stations should just use the same set of LCNs as the metro markets aside from overlap markets where metro TV reception is possible!

7 Likes

Absolutely agree.
It’s insane living in Townsville, over 1300km away from the nearest metro market, and having “Nine” on 5 and WIN (Ten) on 8. It’s insane, and a heap of people in the general population find it stupid, rather than “Logical” like Logical Channel Numbers were meant to be. Especially when we do actually have Seven on 7.

3 Likes

It should be that NBN moves to LCN9 and 10NNSW moves to 8. :yum:

Agree on all points on how it should be done. Shame that’s not happening though. If majority of regional areas are making the (stupid) change, then it should be the same change everywhere.

1 Like

why doesn’t NBN just do it? I can’t see SC10 advising much about Channel 9 programming.

Well people might see “Nine on 5” stuff and look for Nine on 5, and find SC10. They could do it in a generic way, pointing out that there’s no changes to television in NNSW, rather than citing Nine directly.

I don’t think there’s any need for anything in Nth NSW.

I don’t see that the changes affecting other regions causing any confusion here.

3 Likes

No-one up here in NNSW watches SC Ten anyway, so it’s a moot point.

Tasmania currently gets ten local news updates for 3 minutes, similar to southern cross ten news updates.

If TDT is rebranded as channel nine is it likely to receive Nine news from Melbourne? I suppose there’s no plans for a local Tasmania nine news bulletin? I would think it would be too small to justify 3 local news bulletins?

When TDT takes on Nine affiliation, it will absolutely be a direct copy of 9 Melbourne, just as it is now a direct copy of 10 Melbourne.
Hence, Nine News Melbourne would be aired.

Rather than being too small, I think the main reason there won’t be a Tasmanian Nine News bulletin, is because TDT is a joint venture, where both parent companies equally share the revenue.

Why would SCA or WIN want to potentially lose some of their current news ratings by driving viewers towards a new news bulletin on a channel where they have to share 50% of the profit with the other company?

3 Likes

Nine Melbourne could deliver some Tasmanian specific stories in noodle updates.

Or as it is currently, SCA will produce Nine branded noodle updates the same as they will be doing for all their other markets.

3 Likes

10 Second ‘The Voice’ Promo:

5 Likes

Still no deal in Tasmania - Nine helpfully suggests streaming to access products

Nine Network fans in Tasmania facing broadcast blackout

… Tasmanian television broadcaster TDT said it remained confident a deal could be struck with Nine by Thursday, the Sydney-based entertainment giant admitted Tasmanian viewers may have to rely in the short term on streaming content via the 9 Now app.

A spokeswoman for Nine said the network was awaiting a response from TDT, and could not say when a deal would be reached.

But she admitted there was a prospect that Nine’s signal would be lost across Tasmania from Friday until such time as an agreement was signed.

In the meantime, the Nine network suggested, internet technology was available to ­access its products.

[quote=“TVHead, post:675, topic:1198, full:true”]
Nine Melbourne could deliver some Tasmanian specific stories in noodle updates.[/quote]Unlikely IMO. It would be left up to SCA to continue doing the local news updates, probably in the current “2 minute noodle” style but with Nine News style graphics instead of Ten News. And there’s no doubt Nine News from Melbourne will air at 6pm on TDT.

Not that I think it would happen, but I’d laugh if Nine News on TDT at some stage started rating equal or better to WIN’s News. That would truely be a total embarrassment for WIN.

[quote=“NQCQTV2, post:674, topic:1198”]
Rather than being too small, I think the main reason there won’t be a Tasmanian Nine News bulletin, is because TDT is a joint venture, where both parent companies equally share the revenue.

Why would SCA or WIN want to potentially lose some of their current news ratings by driving viewers towards a new news bulletin on a channel where they have to share 50% of the profit with the other company?
[/quote]Pretty much. Unless by some chance the JV ceases due to the ongoing dispute between WIN and SCA.

[quote=“TV.Cynic, post:678, topic:1198, full:true”]
Still no deal in Tasmania - Nine helpfully suggests streaming to access products[/quote]And how utterly useless that will be for the majority of the viewers. Imagine the outrage if no deal is done. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that.

3 Likes

No really new information here

Southern Cross gears up for big switch

4 Likes

An odd question I’ve just thought of that I’m not sure if anyone can answer or not.

The switchover from Ten to Nine at midnight tomorrow night.

Is that likely to be simultaneous around the country (i.e 12am AEST, 10pm AWST).
Or is it more likely to be at midnight in each respective market?

Of course it’ll be at midnight in each market.