Nine (Southern Cross)

Just heard a quick radio ad with Karl Stefanovic advertising that the Today show will be on 5 from July 1.

It’s great to see these changes being cross-promoted on SCAs radio network with Nine personalities.

[quote=“Mechsta, post:620, topic:1198”]
Canberra and Bendigo have been updated, along with the other locations?
[/quote]No change to signage in Albury yet.

[quote=“NQCQTV2, post:623, topic:1198”]
It’s great to see these changes being cross-promoted on SCAs radio network with Nine personalities
[/quote]yep, I’ve heard a few different versions on the Albury and Shepparton stations.

1 Like

I thought my mother understood what was happening with this change. She buys the local newspaper and has seen the television news reports. She just told me how much she “hates that bloody channel ten” and was upset about not being able to watch the football anymore. I noticed the number eight button on her remote is a little worn out and the five button doesn’t get used as much. I just told her to start pressing 5. She’s still not happy that she’ll now miss the local news because she insists on watching Nine News at 6. I suppose it’s hard to break a decades long habits when you’re 70.

11 Likes

WIN would be smart to replay their local news at 7pm on one of their multichannels.

7 Likes

In today’s Sunday Telegraph TV Guide, there’s this line between the listings for the main and multichannels from Thursday onwards:

I’m not sure if other newspaper TV guides are running with a similar disclaimer or if it will actually help viewers understand the change any better, but at least it’s something I suppose.

In any Sydney/NSW print guides (most of which are so bad at the regional listings that they’ve referred to SC10 as “North/South” or “South/North” for years, rather than the proper channel name!) I probably would’ve gone on to say said the affiliation change only affects Southern NSW/ACT and that Northern NSW won’t be affected, but that’s another story…

A similar event occurred with my mother. The first promo she saw was The Project team saying they are moving to WIN. So she ‘told’ me later about the change and I had to explain that The Project wasn’t joining Nine’s line-up and what was happening. Everyone up here in NQLD don’t ever refer to it as Channel 9 or Nine Network but instead WIN- which s why I think many are confused. Once she saw the Nine ads with the “Nine on 5” she understood better. As a result, Nine’s campaign is a little more simple to understand and more effective.

Ten’s audience has skewed towards the younger demographic for many years now so I don’t think the “nine on five” message is getting through to older viewers who don’t regularly watch Ten. Those viewers are only getting the information WIN wants them to hear and they’re hardly going to point them towards their competitor. I’d be interested to know if the campaign has included exposure in traditional media such as newspapers.

There was a half page nine on 5 ad in the Townsville Bulltein this week

If WIN and nine had agreed to paying arrangements and IF WIN had NOT sued channel nine over 9now, would the changeover still have occured this Friday, July 1 or not?

It’s funny hearing the confusion stories today I overheard 2 older men talking about it and there was a woman who said we are getting 9 from July 1. The two men said no WIN will be combination of TEN programs and Nine Programs.
Seems some will get a rude awakening come Friday. :grinning:

9 Likes

Obviously if WIN and Nine signed an affiliation agreement, then Southern Cross and Nine wouldn’t have.

Companies can have legal proceedings against each other without it impacting ongoing business relationships, using courts as arbitrators - companies act in their own financial interest, and not every legal battle is an all out war between the two sides.

I would expect Nine would have been insisting on wording in their new affiliation agreements explicitly allowing Nine to stream their programming. Indeed, I would also expect WIN have made agreements with Ten in their affiliation agreement, regarding Ten Play in their broadcast areas.

Might have been mentioned elsewhere, but the EPG for LCN 50 (ONE Wollongong) currently shows as “GEM Canberra & Southern NSW Transmission”

4 Likes

All this talk of confusion will take about 3 minutes of channel surfing to work out on Friday.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Similar on ONE Shepparton - program guide has been wiped for the rest of today, currently reading “GEM Reg VIC Transmission Commences 12mn”

Looks like some kind of error, unless SCA are actually testing things out at midnight tonight?

All seems very strange especially given the stated LCN arrangement where 50 = 9HD

Eleven has been showing a similar message after midnight for a few days now.

On LCN 5 that previously had 9’s line up of shows has also changed to something equally useless

It had previously looked like this

Makes it hard to program a DVR for shows after midnight Thursday.

4 Likes

is it showing actual programs though and from that picture it looks as though they got the date wrong. As it shows Nine on 5 at 12am and Friends at 12.30am

The Freeview EPG seems to be better

For 5 - showing the last part of “Stalker”

LCN for 50 and 55 are almost correct for GEM/GO

According to an earlier EPG there was supposed to be a 30 minute Nine on 5 intro on LCN 50 at midnight.

3 Likes

Just checked the EPG here in Mackay in Central QLD.

LCN 5 has:
“Southern Cross ten Reg QLD transmission” listed from 12am Friday morning through to 6am Sunday morning, and then lists Nine programs listed for Sunday.

LCN 50 is completely blank, it doesn’t even show a TV guide for today.

LCN 55 has:
“Southern Cross ELEVEN Reg QLD transmission” listed from 12am Friday morning through to 6am Sunday morning and is then blank from then onwards.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: WIN Television