Nine (Southern Cross)

Oh lol no I was thinking of my parents who are glued in the evenings to watching all those US house/real esate shows .Dad doesn’t really know how to livestream without asking me a lot of questions.

Yeah but Ten HD seems inferior to WIN HD. Win HD really is crystal clear HD and nice and sharp. No wonder in the tv shops here they have all the sets tuned into that channel. I would hope with Win and Ten now we would see a better version of Ten HD considering how well WIN HD turned out.

2 Likes

[quote=“TV_Addict, post:307, topic:1198, full:true”]
Oh lol no I was thinking of my parents who are glued in the evenings to watching all those US house/real esate shows .Dad doesn’t really know how to livestream without asking me a lot of questions.[/quote]Haha, sure. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[quote=“TV_Addict, post:307, topic:1198, full:true”]
Yeah but Ten HD seems inferior to WIN HD. Win HD really is crystal clear HD and nice and sharp. No wonder in the tv shops here they have all the sets tuned into that channel. I would hope with Win and Ten now we would see a better version of Ten HD considering how well WIN HD turned out.[/quote]Either way, too bad their HD channel will be mostly wasted with Ten’s content airing on it in future. :grin:

Also wonder what the Lcn names will be on the tv with every statement saying nine branding. So Currently we have SC10 Orange so will it just be 9 Orange?

1 Like

[quote=“chuck, post:309, topic:1198, full:true”]
Also wonder what the Lcn names will be on the tv with every statement saying nine branding. So Currently we have SC10 Orange so will it just be 9 Orange?[/quote]Possibly. Of more interest will be the likes of TDT. What would that be renamed to I wonder. 9 Tasmania? TDT9?

1 Like

SC have stated in their FAQs “Viewers will need to turn to the 5 series of channels on their remote control to see their Nine programming” but nothing about the digital name. Some tuners will need a re-tune or some adjustment to pick up any change of LCN name.

1 Like

WIN absolutely blanketed the State of Origin coverage with the new promos for Ten programming July 1 - and it was the highest rated SOO ever.

SC really needs top start playing promos for Nine programming in it’s highest rating shows like Masterchef, Paying Attention, Masterclass and The Project.

1 Like

9 Tasmania has a nice ring to it. I guess there is still plenty to speculate about. :thinking:

2 Likes

Yep. TDT9 or 9 [insert region name here] on channel 5. That will take time getting used to after all these years. :smile:

Yeah for sure, I think I read somewhere last month that SC would not promote anything from 9 before July 1st. If true that seems like a weird decision.

[quote=“chuck, post:313, topic:1198, full:true”]
9 Tasmania has a nice ring to it. I guess there is still plenty to speculate about. :thinking:[/quote]Or perhaps by the city like it currently is - i.e. 9 Hobart, 9 Launceston etc.

Yeah that would make sense. It’s a shame they won’t use Lcn 9 sticking with 5. Channel 9 on 5

1 Like

I reckon SCA will follow 9’s branding but forget/not use the 9 for 9Gem and 9Go!.

My guess would be:
50 - 9HD Townsville
51 - NINE Townsville
52 - GEM Townsville
53 - GO Townsville
54 - 9Life Townsville
55 - eXtra
56 - AspireTV
59 - GO Townsville

Obviously with Townsville replaced with the respective city name, and with 9HD and 9Life not available at launch.

The problem here is, if SCA continue to not promote any Nine programming, viewers will only be aware of the change based on what they’ve seen from WINs advertising.
Meaning a lot of people will likely be scratching their heads wondering where NINE programs have gone after July 1. As WINs promos make it seem to the average viewer as if they’ll still have NINEs programs.

Secondly, SCA doesn’t rate very well on TV currently anyway, so I think they need to start a big advertising campaign across their TV and radio network ASAP.
Their radio network is the most popular in Regional QLD if i’m not mistaken, and I think is the exact platform where they need to be telling people “the NRL will be broadcast on channel 5 instead of channel 8 from July 1”.

Yeah, I was hoping they’d somehow manage to secure the 9 range of LCNs, especially with the name changing to NINE, but unfortunately that hasn’t been the case.
I’m not looking forward to having to go to LCN 5 to watch a channel called “NINE” (it’s not so much of an issue now with TEN as I barely watch TEN).
Not to mention, it’s going to take a while to get used to the multichannels completely changing LCNs when no aspects of their programming or presentation will be changing.
Especially channels like 9Go!, Eleven and One, which have consistently kept the same LCNs of 88, 55 and 50 since launching.

2 Likes

What about Ayr, near Townsville?

5 Likes

I’d also wonder if TDT even gets 9Life later on too and when. TDT is in a bit of a no-man’s land. It’s not in the SC-9 agreement and not in the WIN-10 agreement and being a joint venture both parties probably want to spend as little as possible on it to keep the viewers on their main respective channels. Is it worth the upgrade costs?

I’d say SCA have chosen to keep using 5 mainly because it means a retune won’t be required to view their channels. Since WIN aren’t changing, SCA would risk having some viewers unable to access their channels on July 1 if a retune was required. At least this way the worst case scenario is that LCN names won’t update, but their programming will still be available, still show up in the guide and the LCN names will mostly auto update in time.

As for TDT9, I’m sure they will get 9HD and 9Life eventually. Maybe not immediately, but ultimately it’s more advertising space to make money from.

From FAQ’s

Will viewers at home notice the change-over?

We do not expect that viewers will need to retune their sets to see their Nine programming.

The only way that viewers will not have to retune is if SC Nine keep the same broadcasting parameters have they have now, which means the Nine suite of channels will have to be on LCNs 5,50 and 55 (plus shopping on 54 and 56) on 1 July.

So it will look something like
5 - Nine
50 - 9GEM
55 - 9GO!

I think they will have to keeping shopping on 54 (currently TVSN) and 56 (Aspire) as some viewers might have deleted these from their channel line-up.

Would they not be able to have 9Gem and 9Go! on 52 and 53 respectively, and leave 50 and 55 as redirects?

1 Like

Would require a retune as new channels are being added.

1 Like

I agree that they’ll stick with 5, 50 and 55 initially, but will probably change to 9’s lineup using 51, 52 etc when they launch 9HD and 9Life.

While I agree with what you’ve said.
A retune wouldn’t really be necessary if they chose different numbers to 50 and 55 though.

When WIN added the new channels in March, every TV i’ve seen added them automatically without a retune required.

Nevertheless, I’d say you’re probably spot on with that theory.

Maybe for the short-term we might see:
5 - Nine
50 - 9Gem (back in HD)
55 - 9Go

The only reason I thought they’d avoid using 50 and 55 when switching to Nine is because they’ll have to change all the LCNs again in a couple of months when 9HD and 9Life come in.
I had assumed they’d put 9Gem and 9Go into the LCNs they intend to keep them in, and leave the 9HD and 9Life LCNs blank until they’re launched