Nine (Southern Cross)

When does the GDS/BDN (Nine-Southern Cross Austereo) agreement in Broken Hill, and the Spencer Gulf, expire?

We all know that the Network 10 and Southern Cross Austereo agreement, on all the former Nine-affiliated stations, owned by SCA, in Southern NSW, the ACT, regional Victoria, and regional Queensland, expires on 30 June 2023,

1 Like

Being a monopoly market, what does it matter, there is no-one else Nine can turn to in that market to get a better price anyway. Either SCA buys the content or not no matter what service it is aired on locally, there is nothing compelling them to do so. The ball is in the monopoly operatorā€™s court in these rather small markets. It could be a case of scenic loops until SCA agrees to a price that they can beat NEC down to.

4 Likes

We will soon find out the outcome. But honestly they look like.continuing for a few more years at least because thereā€™s no other choice

1 Like

Will TEN last that long?

1 Like

I have no idea. Time will tell.

2 Likes

SCA are trying the hardest to offload the TV arm of the business, they so want to concentrate on radio only, but no one wants to pay for the TEN signal, its costing $$ with very little or no return, TEN should just take it back off themā€¦ (i know this is nothing new)

1 Like

It doesnā€™t work like thatā€¦ TEN would have to buy the Southern Cross TV assets, which they donā€™t seem to be interested in doing so presumably for the very reasons you mentioned.

Iā€™m wondering if in this day and age, and maybe soon, if three regional commercial broadcasters are still viable, and whether we might see TEN programming/channels having to be split by 7 and WIN/9NBN (unless the government does something to help improve the situation).

2 Likes

Well given tenā€™s current position SCA might not be able to sell the TV assets in the short to medium term and it might have to sign a new agreement with ten network. While itā€™s not ideal but this scenario would avoid a far more messy scenario of seeing either WIN / NBN or 7 picking up the ten network signal in regional areas.

1 Like

what i meant is that TEN should buy the SCA regional assests like 7 did with Prime SCAn dont want it and then at least TEN could 100% of any ad revenue no matter how little that amount may be

2 Likes

Youā€™re suggesting they pay up to buy a regional affiliate for a return of ā€œlittleā€ ad revenue?

And as well as 100% of the revenue, Ten would also get 100% of the costs and liabilities and 100% of any losses. SCA would have to almost give it away for petty cash.

3 Likes

Network 10 MIGHT get some synergies out of the sale (meaning they could operate it for a lower cost than what SCA could) eg using existing sales and management staff. But I guess it still wonā€™t make much if anything at all.

SCA selling it for whatever they can get for it will mean they wonā€™t incur any future losses at their end, which may be likely in light of dwindling ad revenues for traditional mediums.

1 Like

SCA might not budge from its current position. Again they might be left with little or no choice but to accept any offer ten might give to SCA. But given both SCA and tenā€™s current position I canā€™t see anything achieved other than a renewal of the current agreement.

1 Like

The problem with SCA position is they keep holding off but the value of the assets keep deteriorating. Theyā€™ve written down the value so many times. Theyā€™ll be virtually worthless at some point. Theyā€™ve really got to have a look at getting heat value and cutting your losses to take what you can get.

3 Likes

Back on topic: Is GDS/BDN still played out at NPC, and where at NPC is the station played out?

NPC is at Frenchs Forest in Sydney, I think?

Is That what you were asking?

1 Like

Yes, that was what I was asking, but where specifically at NPC, is the GDS and BDN stations played out? I personally think it is in the same play out area as the O&O Nine stations, as previously mentioned in this thread.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know if anyone here can answer that question. I assume the 10 affiliate playouts would have their own desk, and the Seven and Nine affiliates would be mixed in with the O&O desks? Just a guessā€¦

1 Like

Hmm didnā€™t SCA used to have a playout facility in Canberra but was since closed?

1 Like

Presentation for the Spencer Gulf stations is at NPC.

2 Likes

I do wonder what SCA actually have to sell to TEN or Nine or Seven.

I mean they have a few sales reps, yes, they sold there TX assets to various entities years ago.

Whatā€™s there for the networks to buyā€¦I reckon it would be a hard sell to the various boards to approve a purchaseā€¦

I can imagine SCA handing back their licences to the ACMA and then the metro networks stepping in (out of the goodness of their heart) stepping in to provide a ā€˜serviceā€™ā€¦

1 Like