Nine (Southern Cross)

Yes sorry. My error lol

I think @TV-QLD’s question is still relevant though. Would some form of talk be happening this early? 12 months isn’t that long?

2 Likes

The current affiliation was announced at the end of April 2016, 3 months before the switchover so any new deal I’d assume would be finalized by April next year or possibly even closer to the 1st July if not a lot is changing.

I’d say Nine and SCA would be talking already about the current deal and could possibly amend it and even extend it (similar to what 7/AFL have done).

2 Likes

I would say SCA are concerned about Nine News Regional.

If Nine chooses not to return these bulletins, they will probably be looking for a reduction in affiliation fees in the next agreement or even now.

But SCA are suffering financially themselves which is why the bulletins are still off-air no doubt.

3 Likes

I just hope we don’t have to go back to these days…

2 Likes

It won’t look that bad because SC shut down news production in Canberra, if SC go back to producing in house it’ll just be sent to Launceston and be produced in the same manner as the Nine News Tasmania (TDT) updates.

Hard to say what will happen though, if SCA is in really poor shape financially it wouldn’t surprise me if Nine buy the relevant Nine affiliated stations out rather than strike an affiliation deal that might not be fully realised.

4 Likes

That is a good point. Nine might end up being forced to buy them out if SCA were to cark it.

2 Likes

I wonder if SCA are looking at where they can sell off their non-Nine stations - if there’s a long term thought to sell to Nine, they’d be better off realising a sale of the other stations beforehand - similar to how they sold off NRN, rather than have Nine need to offload them with a time limit.

Probably a really bad time to try and sell things - but getting something for their non-Nine affiliate stations might get them through until they could get a bit more out of Nine when they get out of television entirely.

6 Likes

Nine has indicated they have zero interest in buying SCA stations

Why would they want to sell 7 Tasmania? That is the most profitable and highest rating station they have

1 Like

And it’s not like 7 are in a position to buy it up…

2 Likes

I’d put a fiver on that happening.

I’ll put my superannuation + durries on that happening.

SCA’s Seven affilated stations: Tasmania, Darwin, Central, GTS/BKN are the “jewels in the crown” in their television empire, they make too much money and rate too much!

1 Like

almost as if they could move to radio with their success, hmm.

The signs at SCA’s new Canberra office at 24 Iron Knob St, Fyshwick. SCA appears to be occupying the back section of the first floor. Sign out the front:

The signs at the back of the building on Geraldton Cres:

7 Likes

Somebody didn’t get the memo…

7 Likes

That has been a common issue lately!

1 Like

Used to be a common problem for the first 6 - 12 months that they had the affiliation IIRC.

1 Like

Billboard

1 Like