Nine (Southern Cross)

Yeah you are right, I was just looking at the guides that show the Nine multichannels in Griffith, Mildura, SE SA and WA have made no changes to their schedules. It will be interesting what’s WIN’s excuse is considering their JV in Tasmania will meet the quota but their other JVs and fully owned channels seemingly won’t.

1 Like

Can confirm, GTS/BKN viewing area now has 9Life “coming soon” card on channel 84.

5 Likes

But what about 9HD in GTS/BKN? Are there plans to have the 9hd in Port Augusta Spencer Gulf and Broken Hill Regions?

I think if SGS/SCN is any indication, in terms of channel numbers, none of the others will be changed. 9Gem will logically stay on 80 since that’s the number for the HD channel (unless they launch 9HD), but I don’t reckon they’ll move 9Go to 83.

2 Likes

Yep they kind of did this in NNSW. Retained older numbering scheme while launching new services in between. Not a fan. They should take this opportunity and do a 8/5 swap and mirror other regions.

1 Like

Exactly! Outside of NNSW where resolution is more complex, Spencer Gulf/Broken Hill is the only other region with Nine and Ten different to the rest of the country. SCA could probably fix it with the flick of a switch and the launch of a new channel would be the perfect opportunity to realign and refresh their numbers.

To those that say “but they’re on the correct numbers, everyone else is wrong and they should change back,” Nine on 5 and Ten on 8 are the norm now, deal with it.

2 Likes

I still agree with that.

Although this is even less likely to happen, the commercial network LCNs really should be the 7x range, 9x range and 1x range for their respective networks everywhere except the Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, NSW Central Coast, Wollongong/Illawarra and other such regional markets where both metro & regional TV reception is common due to either official availability or well known fortuitous reception.

2 Likes

Doesn’t that make the LCNs even more complex then? Half the market is on one channel and the rest completely different?

I actually think it does, yeah. It means every regional network would then have 2 sets of LCNs. And the overlap areas that require the 5/6/8 numbering would have a lot of viewers being so close to metro markets. They may as well stick to the existing scheme, but remain consistent across the board.

Don’t ABC and SBS use the 3xx LCN range for when signals overlap? The strongest signal goes to the main numbers and the weakest signal is bumped. This method would probably be easier instead of giving the networks two sets of LCNs.

All networks go to the 3xx range when their LCN is taken by another network. I imagine the regional networks would prefer to use the existing 5/6/8 scheme to keep their positions in the EPG instead of being shafted to the bottom.

1 Like

I have an even better idea - change the LCNs to match the metros. ABC and SBS do it.

Technical reasons my arse.

4 Likes

SOUTHERN CROSS AUSTEREO TO OUTSOURCE TELEVISION PLAYOUT SERVICES

Southern Cross Media Group Limited (ASX: SXL) (Southern Cross Austereo or SCA) today announced it will transfer its Canberra broadcast playout operation in 2020 to NPC Media, a joint venture between the Nine and Seven Networks. NPC will provide SCA with playout services for an initial period of seven years.

The decision comes after SCA sold its Canberra site in 2016 with a four-year lease-back, and at the end of the capital expenditure lifecycle for SCA’s current broadcast playout equipment.

The new playout solution allows SCA to collaborate with peers Nine and Seven to create an industry leading back-office solution, in a facility that will be developed to include full technical back-up.

SCA has program supply agreements with the Nine, Seven and Ten Networks and broadcasts 105 television signals into regional Australia, covering all states and territories other than Western Australia. This extensive television footprint will mean that SCA will be NPC’s largest customer.

“With almost identical playout requirements, it makes sense for our businesses to pool resources”, said SCA Chief Operating Officer, John Kelly

“Given SCA already broadcasts Nine and Seven programs and uses their brands, the move is a logical step to consolidate back office functions. It will not only enable us to reduce operational costs, but also to streamline processes, promote collaboration and increase productivity”.

SCA will lease a new office facility in Canberra to house the employees unaffected by the change. With playout operations transitioning to NPC, some current roles will become redundant.

“We are working closely with affected employees to maintain operations during the transition and to support them in identifying new opportunities as the transition is completed”, said John Kelly.

SCA aims to complete the relocation of its Canberra broadcast operation by 30 June 2020.

7 Likes

So, no shift of SA and noodle news to Tasmania I guess…

That was really only mentioned by one person on Mediaspy, and I didn’t see it anywhere else.

1 Like

Any progress on the launch of 9Life for GDS/BDN? And I doubt it, but any channel reshuffles?

9Life is now broadcasting on channel 84 in Spencer Gulf/Broken Hill area. No other changes.

Current channels listings for upper Spencer gulf are:

5 - SC10 Port Pirie
6 - 7 Port Pirie
8 - SC Nine
50* - ONE
54^ - SBN
55 - ELEVEN
57^ - TVSN
60* - 7mate
62 - 7TWO
68^ - RACING.COM
80* - GEM
84^ - 9Life
88 - GO

*= 1080 HD
^= MPEG4

5 Likes

Recorded off SC9

Some simple production music to back the classifieds would help make them less bland. Doesn’t have to be much, nor loud, but something to get rid of the silence.

2 Likes

Based on my research, it seems SCA is using the “International” feed of SBN as noticed by the watermark and on-screen branding. Plus, SBN have live streams on their website, and that includes Domestic, International and Global!