Nine (Southern Cross)

I really doubt that Nine will go back to WIN, I don’t think anyone takes that seriously. Nine would have to justify that to their shareholders and I don’t think they can. I certainly can’t speak for Nine or WIN (or SCA really) but working at SCA until very recently the idea of giving up Nine and moving back to Ten was not entertained as possibility (again I can’t speak for Nine or SCA’s senior management)

4 Likes

Shareholders don’t care about hurt feelings

Also people keep forgetting that WIN and NEC still do business together!

1 Like

Nine probably don’t give a rats, but I hope IF (and it’s a big if) they do a deal with WIN, they ask that SNOW be replaced with some of Nine’s other multichannels.

2 Likes

They can ask, but there would need to be significant financial compensation for WIN.

1 Like

Would think a decision like that is at the sole discretion of WIN

4 Likes

From the SCA half-year results presentation this week. SCA managed to extend their current deal with Seven, but they are still negotiating with Nine.

9 Likes

this is from media week:
sca;s grant Blackley:Radio is the major source of revenue at SCA, with $173.3m in H1 FY21 compared to $84.9m from TV. Losing the Nine signal for 10’s channels would put further pressure on those SCA TV dollars.

When asked by Mediaweek last week if SCA might have to continue negotiations with a new CEO at Nine, SCA CEO Blackley said, “No, it is something we should be able to do before that happens.”

2 Likes

Sure but the actual amount would depend a lot on what percentage of revenue they actually have to pay Ten.

3 Likes

Both WIN and SCA don’t want to affiliate with Ten. They both don’t have confidence in their programming or a road to riches.

Nine and Seven’s programming is more family or national focused (IE - someone in both Sydney and Tamworth would love “The Voice”), while Ten’s programming better resonates with city audiences.

1 Like

Don’t know about that. I would’ve thought Ten shows like Im a Celebrity, Survivor and The Amazing Race would hold wider appeal to regional audiences. It is shocking to me that a show like The Voice and MAFS that is filled with superficial, self obsessed attention seekers has a wide appeal outside major cities.

7 Likes

Yeah, hard to see the logic in that statement.

Shows like MasterChef and Masked Singer also very popular with families and younger demos, along with the ones you mentioned.

1 Like

Bondi Rescue?

One just has to look at the ratings to compare Ten to WIN in the 4 key regional markets.

I personally would’ve thought that Married At First Sight (and most other shows in the genre like The Bachelor/ette) rates considerably higher in metropolitan Australia than it does in the regions.

Well OK, it’s likely that Newcastle & Wollongong have viewing habits which are reasonably close to the ones Sydneysiders have. But in places like Tamworth and Wagga which are further away from major population centres…

2 Likes

yes and WIN does business with all the networks and the WIN owned Mediahub pushes TV out for more than just WIN. I cant see it changing, even though people at WIN try to convince me otherwise, Bruce and NINE argued alot in the preceeding years of 2016. Alot of dummy spits which led to NINE exploring options in the first place, im not too sure that they want to get back into an arrangement with a network that has lost alot of drive and have been acting like a spoilt kid with the playstation taken away for being naughty. SCA will do whatever it takes to ensure they stay in the agreement with NINE. All that has happened is that the exclusive negiotiation period has passed, so NINE are taking to WIN. I cant see NINE throwing away a relationship with a like minded company with interests in both Radio and TV, Imagine SCA dropping all of the NINE radio content (RAY Hadley and others) if NINE goes with WIN… massive cost their as well.

4 Likes

This is not entirely true

Both SCA and WIN underperform NINE and 10

Mainly because Seven is so strong in regional areas

3 Likes

Southern Cross Ten to return?

2 Likes

See the full topic for discussion of this

1 Like

Southern Cross dropped most 2GB/2UE content many years ago. Hadley is all that’s left and he only on six Triple M stations.

2 Likes

OT but he’s also on Community radio in Hay, NSW. Seems random.

It’s probably stems from when John Laws was on 2UE. A lot of broadcast operations stations used to take John Laws but stopped taking it so some community stations started taking John Laws as there was still a lot of interest from the community.

When I was younger during my university holidays I used to be a panel operator for the local community radio station who used to take Laws.
It was annoying as we had to chop laws short when he was doing live commercial reads as we were limited to only having 5 minutes of ads in an hour.

I believe when Laws retired they took Hadley in he’s place.

1 Like