Nine (Southern Cross)

@AustralianAerial if they spend 50% of their revenue on programming, what are they spending the other $105 million on?

SCA reported a net loss after tax of $91.4 million in FY2018/19. It reported a net debt of $292.6 million. The impairment charges of the TV assets ($226.9 million) was higher than the revenue generated ($206.6 million)—so the theoretical value of their TV licences is higher than what they are currently worth.

I defer to any accountants here, but by my logic they’re running at a significant loss, at least with respect to television.

1 Like

Whats an impairment charge?

And If revenue was 206m and they lost 91m where on Estey did the $297 m go?

See below:

Am I the only one who wishes they’d just switch off SD channels once they have a HD version of the same? STB aren’t very expensive anymore, plus it would stop annoying people at work using SD channels (I usually try to delete the SD channel so they can’t use it) But I was fooled a few weeks ago, sat watching the news for about 5 minutes before wondering why the quality was so bad and realising someone had it on the SD channel :rofl:

5 Likes

This has been discussed widely in the HD Broadcasting thread.

There is mixed opinion on ceasing MPEG-2 SD on the main channel. If anything they should keep the MPEG-2 SD simulcast for the main channel at least but convert all multi-channels to MPEG-4 HD with no simulcasts.

3 Likes

Since the playout switch, 9Life in SCA areas has been airing the original 9Life ident (with bad audio cuts at the start and end) as opposed to the “life is beautiful” one. I tried capturing it although it’s not the best quality:

4 Likes

nah they started airing that just before the NPC switch, I guess they got sick of using the 9.com.au ID

2 Likes

9HD Spencer Gulf are now broadcasting the HD bug, since Friday last week.

2 Likes

Business Directory:

2 Likes

Fat Nine!

1 Like

If the 10 Darwin spotlights and other local business cards looked more like this they wouldn’t be half bad.

1 Like

Southern Cross Nine had the top right HD watermark yesterday in the NRL Greatest Program. Up until now the sport programs had the bottom right HD watermark:

4 Likes

It’s been inconsistent, I’ve seen it scheduled both ways. Don’t think they’ve worked out how to deal with this program (maybe if they actually watched TV?)

Two more billboards in HD:

Red billboard:

I did notice that in Wollongong also, I would say NPC was playing the wrong feed…?

5 Likes

More playout errors tonight during Lego Masters, with a 9Rush promo being played (for the Canberra region) before seeing the end second of the dirty feed.
Sunday night they aired the Lego Masters Tonight 7:30 promo instead of the correct Tomorrow promo.

Interestingly some of the ads breaks seemed to be SD (on 9HD), which I thought was gone with playout having moved from CTC9 (SCA) to NPC.

1 Like

Why are Nine supplying them to SCA despite (currently) having no plans to carry said channel?

Wouldn’t NPC (where the playout is happening?) already have them and be using them for the metro station playouts?