Nine Radio (Talk)

Technically 2UE is Sydney’s oldest commercial station that is still on air. The station that is now known as 702 ABC first came on air a couple of years earlier.

Like you though, I wasn’t sure what the original comment was referring to!

2 Likes

Not sure if they’re still running it, but I’m guessing that it’s the more news-based “Wake Up Australia” (rather than 2GB’s main overnight program) that 4BC takes from 2GB.

Yes it is. Wake Up Australia starts on 2GB at 3.30, with 4BC joining at 4.00.

Michael McLaren is currently presenting both the main overnight program and Wake Up Australia

1 Like

You’ve mentioned this numerous times.

It’s not going to change. Nobody cares.

Find another radio station other than 3AW then :slight_smile:

With Macquarie in seemingly perpetual cost-cutting mode, you have to wonder how long they will continue with 2 overnight talk-based shows for. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if in the coming months we see that reduced to just 1, with 2GB providing the shows. Might seem odd for 2GB & 2UE to be simulcasting but I doubt Macquarie would worry too much about that!

I feel it won’t be long till we hear more music played across the day and night on 2UE.

the last time a radio station tried that the ABA (now ACMA) stepped in.

3MP had taken over 3EE and subsequently shut down 3EE and began simulcasting 3MP on the 3EE frequency (693 kHz). The ABA stepped in (I believe following complaints from other broadcasters) and forced 3MP to launch a separate station on 693, which became Magic 693.

4 Likes

Interesting, thank you. I just wondered whether, in perhaps a slightly more relaxed regulatory environment than was once the case, they might get away with simulcasting overnight between, say, midnight and 5am?

Simulcasting 24/7 and only overnight is a big difference, and sadly I doubt the ACMA would do anything.

1 Like

Macquarie management have been adamant that 2ue won’t move towards a more music-based format. But as this is Macquarie, who knows? There is still no real sign of any major format change for 2ue. We’ll see what the coming week’s ratings release shows but I wonder how much longer Macquarie will allow 2ue to carry on as a kind of 2gb-lite if it drops further in the ratings this time

Surely MRN would just simulcast NTS Digital (which I personally think is a near total waste of bandwidth in itself, but that’s another story) if they really wanted to stop producing a unique overnight program for 2UE?

Very to see Bruce Mansfield has passed away after a long battle with prostate cancer aged 71.
http://www.3aw.com.au/news/farewell-to-a-legend-bruce-mansfield-dies-aged-71-20160417-go86ye.html

2 Likes

So sad to hear this. Bruce Mansfield and Philip Brady were a perfect double act on Nightline and entertained listeners over the years. A huge loss to 3AW.

3 Likes

Just hearing the tragic news Bruce Mansfield has passed away.

What a lenend of Melbourne & Australian radio & TV!

Nightline with Bruce & Phil was one of the longest running radio programs, every Melburnian would’ve listened at least once during the evening.

I actually hope Phil might continue for a while, maybe solo or with Simon Owens

RIP :’(

(Stephen Quartermain tweeted on behalf of Ten Melbourne)

Very sad about Bruce Mansfield.

Take this video for example (many others if you wish to use one of them): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52LGmFVSGeQ

Who is Bruce and who is Phil in it? Trying to work out what voice is what.

1 Like

Details on a public memorial service for Bruce Mansfield in the Matches, Hatches, Dispatches thread.

1 Like

3AW will broadcast live the public memorial service for Bruce Mansfield today from 2pm to 3pm (AEST).

2 Likes

A lifestyle change at 2UE is closer. The Caravan and Camping Show is making the switch from 2GB and to a better time slot of 3pm Fridays.

Watch them all shift over… That 2GB wedding show and all.

3 Likes

Is Duck Creek still going to host?

A good decision.

Yes a good decision to get the show off 2GB. It’s ok to bury it on a Saturday night during the NRL season (so few people can hear it) but on a Saturday afternoon its awful to listen to.