Nine Radio (Talk)

Heard a bit of Ben and Darren this afternoon, wasn’t that wowed by what I heard to be honest, although it’s early days I know. Shame about John C. He still has the 2ue reference in his Twitter bio, so perhaps he’ll turn up again sometime soon. As this is Macquarie though, who knows!

Is anyone expecting any announcer changes at 2UE because we are nearing the end of March and still nothing has been said.

2UE is now doing a line up promo including Tim Webster and Bill Woods. Woods has made reference to a few segments that are going to be regular on his show, I wouldn’t expect that from someone just there temporarily.

I’d say things will continue with the same presenters and maybe more additions of those 1 hour infomercial type shows (such as real estate and the betting show with Woods).

Justin Smith and Dee Dee Dunleavy will host 3AW breakfast from the Royal Children’s Hospital this Friday morning for the Good Friday Appeal. After the 8.30am news, regulars like Neil Mitchell and Denis Walter will broadcast their shows from Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre.

2 Likes

Just heard a promo that Neil Mitchell will broadcast live from New Zealand from April 4 to 8. The timing is interesting given NZ had just held a referendum on whether to change its national flag. 57% of voters wanted the country to keep the current flag with the Union Jack.

Also, today’s Herald Sun says there is a rumour that a 3AW presenter was hauled before the station’s board for continuously whinging against the House of Wellness (which the paper dubbed "the House of Dullness). Of course the paper can’t say too much given the show’s sponsor Chemist Warehouse also publishes the House of Wellness magazine in the Sunday Herald Sun every three months or so.

1 Like

Another interesting move at 2UE with Bill Woods presenting AFL Today (not related to Croc Media) each Friday night with Brad Seymour.

Lifestyle? Maybe with a touch of AFL (maybe games from 3AW?)

^ That’s weird, given 2UE has access to AFL matches via 3AW.

1 Like

Jason, to your left of your keyboard you’ll find a key labeled “Caps Lock”. Press it before typing your messages.

6 Likes

Had Gerorge and Paul on 2UE this morning in the background and caught them saying something about they will have their own studio on their own floor. Could a 2UE move to Pyrmont be imminent?

1 Like

May 1 is the mooted date but who really knows. They have been renovating the Pyrmont Studios for months so it will be squeeze, that unless 2CH moves out.

I listened to Ray Hadley between 10 and 10.30am this morning. The only phone calls he took were from listeners reporting traffic conditions.

The whole 30 minutes was:

• ads
  • traffic updates
  • Ray reading news reports from the Daily Telegraph, The Fraser Coast Chronicle etc and making a few comments on these stories.

I know that Ray is an entertaining personality and that his show is No. 1. I just wonder how much higher the show would rate if he interviewed someone or took a few more open line calls.

With him reading news reports the show is starting to sound like 1224 2RPH - the station for the blind - that reads out newspapers. Admittedly Ray’s show has ten times more personality than 2RPH. But five times less content.

3 Likes

By the sounds of that they should move Ray to Vision Australia Radio and Network Neil Mitchell from 3aw. If Ray just wants to read out the Newspapers that is

Breaks between each commercial on 3AW overnight. Are they panelling their own commercials etc?

The networking overnight it is a pathetic mess, MRN just doesn’t have a clue and it would seem they don’t have the manpower in any case. The worst is the crap that comes up the line from 3AW on weekends. It is no wonder that 2GB are not networking overnights (at the moment) but it will be interesting when both overnight programmes come from the same studio next month. Will this continue, I seriously doubt it.

Obviously listeners still like Sydney’s oldest radio station 2UE? I don’t know and don’t care.

Anyway Breakfast with Ross & John is back next week on 3AW (like most shows I guess) :slight_smile:

Fill-ins Justin Smith (who IS liked across Melbourne/VIC) & Kate Stephenson (senior producer, no relation) are also really good.

God, can’t stand that crap from 2GB Ross Greenwood. Yes it’s a great show for Melbourne & Sydney. Yes the ratings had a big jump in Melbourne’s last survey (although probably more like Nightline with Bruce & Phil).

But I’m not a fan. Sports Today should at least be 2 hours (6-8pm) during Footy season!

No, it isn’t Sydney’s oldest radio station. Even if it was, what does that have to do with anything?

1 Like

In all fairness Melbourne should have their own overnight show to deal with callers sending cheerios and prayers to one another, the abominable woman from Knill and the woman from TV Week that goes on and on and on, just as long as it is not inflicted on listeners in Sydney and Brisbane. Maybe I should be listening to 2SM!!

4BC takes the networked overnight show during the week (until 4am when it opts into Michael McLaren/ 2GB) but at weekends takes overnights from 2GB (Susie Elelman on Saturday mornings and Mike Williams on Sunday mornings). So Brisbane misses out on the delights of Alan Pearsall’s callers!