Nine Radio (Talk)

datacast channels can’t carry radio programs, it seems?

Each datacasting licence is subject to the condition that the licensee will not transmit matter that, if it were broadcast on a commercial radio broadcasting service, would be a designated radio program.

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2023C00068/Html/Volume_2#_Toc130911627

1 Like

Fair point, but you needn’t transmit it at full HD. 480p would probably suffice. Let’s face it, who wants to see Hadley’s face in HD, his head looks like a beaten favourite.

That can be changed if you suck up to the communications minister enough. :wink: :rofl:

1 Like

TBH I don’t think it’s worth anyone’s time or effort. There’s enough radio apps and streaming available that people can already listen to radio stations from wherever.

2 Likes

I know, but I’m just putting it out there. It could be a goer if someone were so inclined and if you could justify it in the right way.

1 Like

They’d have to justify it enough like 2GBTV or something with visualised radio and probably some exclusive content to make it work with licensing.

2 Likes

Neil Breen announced on air that he’s leaving his 4BC show in June.

3 Likes

Breen, who was doing an outside broadcast from Suncorp Stadium, told his audience just after 4pm on Friday (May 5) he’d given the job three of his best years, but it was time to return to his family in Sydney.

He then played the song My Home Town by his favourite artist, Bruce Springsteen, stressing afterwards that Brisbane would always be home to him.

3 Likes

So the big question… will 4BC remain local? Or will Bill Woods or even Scott Emerson takeover?

2 Likes

Surely not Bill Woods, it has to stay local

4 Likes

Peter Fegan is my guess.

3 Likes

I’m certain it will. Drive is a key shift and to network it would totally undermine the much talked about ‘local’ strategy that Nine promotes for all its talk stations. There are several possible replacements around - or it could be somebody completely unexpected

1 Like

**whoops, I meant Bill McDonald.

1 Like

I’m not from Brisbane but would Greg Cary be a possibility?

4 Likes

Not a bad option considering he’s made several appearances in recent times.

2 Likes

I’m sure 4BC would be ecstatic if he said he was interested. And yes, he would be excellent as he always is. However, my sense is that he regards himself as being semi-retired now and his interest in being back on the radio, after several years away from it, doesn’t really extend beyond doing some fill-ins, like he did on afternoons over summer

4 Likes

Will be very interesting.

1 Like

Kerri Anne Kennerley is cohosting/anchoring Healthy Living on 2GB and network stations this evening.

Is this her first time in a while back at Nine Radio? … and now back at Nine after “I’m A Celebrity” on 10?

1 Like

Aren’t the 2GB listeners lucky. :crazy_face:

1 Like

I dare say it’s probably the first time KAK has hosted a show on 2GB since she hosted afternoons for a year in 2001, the year prior to Alan & Ray jumping from 2UE to 2GB and Chris Smith moving from behind the scenes to hosting afternoons.

2 Likes

I think it was just an hour of the show, with Kayley Harris returning for hour two.

Either way, it was somewhat refreshing and I think KAK sounds great on 2GB.

2 Likes