Nine Radio (Talk)

Their obsession with the Royal Easter Show is massively over the top I am very thankful that it has just about finished. I wonder how much the Show Society paid to have all working day programs broadcast from the show plus multiple segments within the shows promoting the show. I thought that having the Continuous Call Team broadcasting from the show was weird. Why not have their OB actually at the ground for the game they are broadcasting?

1 Like

It has been this way for years and I’m actually glad they brought it back the way they did.

IIRC 2UE used to broadcast from the show for its entirety back in the day. Brilliant. But it was also business as usual, as it was somewhat at semi-permanent facility set up.

2 Likes

I am sure Murray Wilton would have had something to do with it. Throughout the 1970s, possible the 1960s also 2UW were broadcasting from there also.

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Nine Radio (Music)

Bill Macdonald is terrible. In fact all of 4BC is terrible with the exception of Peter Psaltis. Breen is ok.

They need to punt Hadley and replace him with Greg Carey. Punt Spencer Howson on weekends and bring in Gary Hardgrave.

1 Like

Wasn’t Spencer successful when he was at ABC Brisbane? I’m probably wrong in trying to remember that…

1 Like

You remember correctly, he rated really well on ABC Brisbane Breakfast, number 1 a lot (he had 15 point shares in some surveys).

2 Likes

I’m watching 2GB’s live video stream - a few things:

• The position of the camera on Ray’s show makes him look like he’s in a fishbowl.
  • I’m surprised that they haven’t put their radio stations on the DTV multiplex.
  • They need to fix the sync - Ray’s mouth and the words coming out of it are not in sync.
  • I thought they were meant to move in with the rest of Nine at North Sydney? Because having the cars in the background is not a good look
  • Just a tip, they might want to sell the ad space where the logo keeps animating. And on the screens in the studio.
2 Likes

Although ABC and SBS do this, I don’t think the commercials are allowed to? Someone may correct me on that.

2 Likes

Given how much both sides suck up to the media proprietors in this country, I wouldn’t be surprised if they are allowed to, but don’t to please the country stations who take their shows. But since a lot of stations are not taking the syndicated 2GB shows like they used to, I’m surprised they haven’t gone down that route. Just say they’re datacast channels. :rofl:

1 Like

I don’t believe there is any such licence available that would allow commercial radio to broadcast outside their licence area on DTV

2 Likes

Then explain internet streaming? I could listen to 2GB in Scone if I wanted to.

Nine would love to expand 2GB’s reach one way, and this would be an easy way to do it.

1 Like

Internet streaming is not broadcast over the “airwaves”.

2 Likes

I normally watch the live stream for Ray Hadley’s show as it generally doesn’t have the pre roll ads and insert ads that the main stream has which is a far better listening experience. Sometimes there arent any issues with the sync sometimes there is.

As far as the ads go don’t give them ideas the pre roll ads are bad enough not to mention that the ads as a whole on commercial radio need reforms as ad breaks are too long which impact on the listening experience.

2 Likes

IIRC the broadcasting regulations do not permit commercial DTV services to include radio or audio-only channels.

2 Likes

Even if they attach vision to it? Surprised Nine hasn’t tried to have it over turned.

1 Like

I don’t know the rules as such but I am not sure whacking a live webcam over a radio feed constitutes any more than a glorified radio service which (AFAIK) is not allowed.

1 Like

I wonder if they’d be able to get away with it if they bought back the Nine Guide with 2GB in the background xD

3 Likes

Could they put the live stream on DTV? Isn’t it called datacastint or something ?

1 Like

But if they do include video that significantly reduces their capacity to carry additional channels. I can see the additional revenue from getting handful of new listeners being any better than they get from the existing multichannels, especially when it’s shared with WIN in many regional areas

1 Like