Nine Radio (Talk)

Change is afoot this week with SEN produced Sportsday ending on 3AW.

SEN Sportsday with Gerard Healy and Kane Cornes starts tomorrow, and 3AW Wide World of Sports with Sam McClure starts Wednesday. Tomorrow night on 3AW will be a Melbourne Cup wrap hosted by Michael Felgate.

@JohnsonTV, I know you’ve been a big fan of Sportsday, have you chosen between listening to either Sportsday or WWOS going forward?

5 Likes

I am planning to listen to both shows given they are available as podcasts.

7 Likes

Around 2pm Thursday, 4BC on air software systems crashed/hacked.

No 2pm news, headlines at 2:30 read in Studio. 3pm bulletin from Sydney.

Programming had no commercials, no callers, only music for breaks, this soaked up the final hour of Sofie Formica and onto Neil Breen’s drive show.

Similar to 3AW.

2 Likes

The Weekend Break with Peter Stubbs will broadcast live from Flemington Racecourse tomorrow (Saturday) from 12pm to 6pm AEDT as part of TAB Champions Stakes Day, the last day of Melbourne Cup Carnival.

4 Likes

3AW’s Wide World of Sports will broadcast from Qatar in two weeks’ time, said Sam McClure at the start of tonight’s show. He added he would broadcast live from the country for the duration of the Socceroos’ World Cup campaign.

4 Likes

Neil off again tomorrow “due to some commitments” seems to be happening more and more regularly.
TJ to fill in.
Today he broadcast from home, which usually front end of the week he has been in studio.

One would hope Neil’s health is ok… seems to have been a rolling thing for a while…

3 Likes

Commitments doesn’t have to mean it’s a health related appointment. I really don’t think his absences have been more regular than usual, I only seem to recall TJ filling in very occasionally apart from the survey breaks and long weekends for the Cup last week which are planned in advance.

3 Likes

He’s probably got meetings at Victorian Liberal Headquarters to get his directions on how to handle the rest of the election campaign. :slightly_smiling_face: He is after all one of their chief campaigners!

1 Like

Heidi filling in for a Neil this morning despite Neil saying TJ would be… he hoped he was available.

I get what’s said above but it seems last minute considering TJ not being available .

4 Likes

This morning Nova 100’s Chrissie Sam and Browny made fun of a gaffe on a 3AW news bulletin recently. In the clip, Tony Tardio mentioned a report by Nine News US correspondent Jonathan Kearsley on a man sentenced to life in prison for a mass shooting in the US. After Tony’s intro, the first few seconds of The Blind Factory ad (“Ohhhhh the Blind Factory…”) aired in mistake before Jonathan’s report was played.

The clip was broadcast at least four times during today’s show and everyone in the studio laughed each time. Anchor Dino said the gaffe happened during one of the 3AW bulletins yesterday.

EDIT 11/11: the clip was played again on the Nova show this morning, so I did another web search and found the relevant article. It was about Nicolas Cruz, who was sentenced to 17 life terms without parole for the February 2018 massacre at a Florida high school.

2 Likes

Jim Wilson has announced he’s quitting 2GB Drive. His last show will be tomorrow.

Jim’s staying with Nine to work on television.

5 Likes

Jim Wilson to replace Tracy Grimshaw on ACA :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

That’s a sudden announcement and departure.

4 Likes

Big week for Jim with him stepping away from this role and his father in law (Chris Bath’s father) dying yesterday. Hopefully Nine finds him something substantial to do and we get to see him at the desk with Overton at 6pm from time to time.

Wish 2GB would get Jason Morrison back for the Drive slot.

7 Likes

Sounds to me like he’s been given his marching orders for continual poor ratings. Jim said he “decided to leave at the end of last week”, so it’s definitely very sudden.

I reckon either Chris O’Keefe or Luke Grant will replace him.

8 Likes

Absolutely he’s been pushed. No questions asked.

7 Likes

I thought he’s show was improving in the ratings or was there a big dip in the latest ratings? 1. 3 percent drop compared to last survey doesn’t seem that significant. But he was up in a few surveys this year.
He never rated number one in the slot. But neither did the person Jim replaced. I think people prefer to relax on the drive home so prefer music to talk which is why you see Byron Webb on Smooth rate so highly in Sydney.

1 Like

Maybe an opening for Michael McLaren, return of Stuart Bocking (I guess not), Jason Morrison seems to be locked in with 7. Perhaps time for a complete re-hash of afternoons and drive. Time is running out for 2GB maintaining the No 1 position.

1 Like

Yes! I would love Jason Morrison or even Paul Murray to make a comeback to drive radio.

Even better, put John Stanley there.

3 Likes

How about Mike Carlton or Peter Fitzsimons? Time to lean a wee bit to the left. :grin:

2 Likes