Nine Radio (Talk)

Don’t forget Chris Ilsley’s highly successful evening shift, by far the best of the station, was also cut and replaced by a crony of the then new Nine management.

1 Like

I had forgotten about Chris but yes the decision to send him packing made even less sense than the other changes. I can’t understand the thought process at all.

Hopefully they will learn from their mistakes but history suggests they won’t.

1 Like

Monday 3 October and Tuesday 4 October -
Shane McInnes filled in for Ross Stevenson on 3AW breakfast.

Ross was back on air on Wednesday.

Mark Allen filling in for Herald Sun’s Jon Anderson for sport this week.

2 Likes

3AW summer weekend afternoon schedule, now that The Twilight Zone has been dropped:

Saturday
12pm-6pm: The Weekend Break with Grubby
6pm-12am: Simon Owens Show

Sunday
12pm-6pm: The Weekend Break with Grubby
6pm-9pm: Healthy Living (extended to 3 hrs)
9pm-10pm: Great Australian Lives
10pm-12am: Remember When

2 Likes

Dead set you’d expect a station as big as 3AW to be a bit beyond the old 6hr weekend shifts.

That’s very 2000’s of them.

Leigh Matthews inks new deal with 3AW

Aussie Rules legend Leigh Matthews has signed a new two-year deal to continue his association with 3AW.

Matthews will feature with his special comments in AFL matches for 3AW on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons.

In addition, he will be a regular contributor to the all-new Wide World of Sports radio program to be hosted by Sam McClure and set to launch in November.

Leigh Matthews said: “It has been my privilege to be part of the AW Footy Team for many seasons and I look forward to continuing my involvement with the crew for the next two years.”

Stephen Beers, 3AW Station Manager, said: “Leigh is the voice of footy. When he talks, everyone listens. We are delighted that Leigh will be continuing to set the agenda on Wide World of Sports and 3AW Football”

Matthews played 332 games for the Hawthorn Football Club from 1969 to 1985. He would later go on to coach Collingwood from 1986 to 1995 and Brisbane Lions from 1999 to 2008. He played in four Grand Finals and was named in the AFL Team of the Century.

2 Likes
1 Like

Nine Radio launches round three of internship program

Following the success of Nine’s pioneering Radio Internship Program earlier this year, Nine are now taking applications for the program’s third round, which will focus on building new talent within its radio newsrooms.

The paid internships run for six weeks at each of Nine Radio’s newsrooms – Sydney’s 2GB, Melbourne’s 3AW, Brisbane’s 4BC and 6PR in Perth – and provide candidates with the chance to gain invaluable experience while learning from the best talent in the industry.

Successful applicants will spend time with our industry-leading journalists in Nine’s radio newsrooms to learn how to chase stories, create fast and accurate news bulletins, and even create content with our producers and on-air talent. They will also be provided with hands-on training in not only journalism, but also radio producing and broadcasting.

Tom Malone, Managing Director of Nine Radio, said: “We’re delighted with the talent we’ve been able to uncover and nurture through the first two rounds of Nine’s Radio Internship Program. In fact, the program has proven so successful that all of our interns from the last round are staying on to work with the stations!”

“I’m proud of Nine’s commitment to helping build the next generation of radio professionals in Australia and looking forward to welcoming the next cohort of budding radio journos who will be trained up ready in time to get hands-on during the busy summer period.”

Applications are open now, get in quick so you don’t miss out! To apply for the Nine Radio station in your city, click on the link below:

Radio News Intern – 2GB Sydney

Radio News Intern – 3AW Melbourne

Radio News Intern – 4BC Brisbane

Radio News Intern – 6PR Perth

For further information, please contact:
Caitlin Lynch
Senior Communications Manager – Nine

1 Like

I like the weekend break. It’s a nice change to the usual weekend on other stations and it has enough variety to stay fresh over each day.

I’m not a big fan of Simons show though. I like the guy, but there’s just something about the show that is boring .

1 Like

It’s a pity because I really like Simon, but his show is incredibly niche and boring.

3 Likes

Denis Walter started at the earlier time of 7PM tonight on 3AW to cover floods across Victoria.

2 Likes

Great Australian Lives is coming to an end at the end of October. Program host Laura Turner is also leaving Nine. This program has been produced by SEN/Crocmedia, so I think the program finishing has something to do with the SEN distribution deal finishing at the end of October (because that’s when Sportsday is also finishing). So from November, all of 3AW’s content will be their own from Nine Radio.

As for filling the gap on Sundays from 9pm-10pm, I reckon they’ll either extend Remember When to three hours (9pm to midnight), or maybe Emily Power will host a one-hour program, if this is what the rumours in the Herald Sun a few weeks ago were actually about.

3 Likes

What about The House of Wellness radio show on Sunday mornings? That’s not an in-house production is it?

1 Like

Oh yes, I forgot about The House of Wellness. It’s presented out of the 2GB and 3AW studios but I’m not sure who produces it.

1 Like

The House of Wellness is (unfortunately) not produced by SEN.

2 Likes

Jo Hall was sacked as host of that show over a drink driving incident wasn’t she?

1 Like

Correct. Not sure why she’d want to go back as a guest.

2 Likes

A disastrous 7pm bulletin on 3AW just before.

Presenter Alex Riddell just read an emergency alert verbatim instead of re-scripting it for the news bulletin and then it sounded like she was having trouble pressing the button to cue the next story so we got 5 minutes of complete silence before 2GB simulcast of Luke Grant and money news kicked in.

3 Likes

3AW was just playing elevator music and is now taking 2GB news. Must be big issues.

3 Likes

Alex Riddell read the weather at the end of the news report from inside the main 3AW studio as the news booth isn’t working.

Technical issues and the phones are down too. Grubby called in last minute to host Nights so he can talk on the line to Denis Walter who is back home in Geelong, in the absence of calls.

3 Likes