Nine Radio (Talk)

I’ve pretty much given up on the new 4BC breakfast. I find myself listening to less and less of it each day; there is just not enough music - news and advertising seem to dominate overshadowing the breakfast team. It’s probably a good fit for someone wanting a good dose of news to start their day, but I’d rather ABC’s radio news to Nine’s. I might listen to about 30 minutes or so but switch to 4BH where there’s the same news by 4 times the music content.

3 Likes

The Sportsday split is the news I have been dreading about. It is one of my favourite radio shows and I always listen to the first hour on my drive home from work, and the full version as a podcast in my home later that night. Worse, the new Sportsday on SEN (5.30pm-7.30pm) will overlap completely with the new Wide World of Sports radio show (6.05pm-7pm).

I wonder if the current regulars on Sportsday like Matthew Lloyd, Leigh Matthews, Matthew Richardson, Melbourne Storm football manager Frank Ponissi, tennis tournament director Peter Johnston etc. will move across to SEN.

2 Likes

Behind in what sense?? Its horses for courses. To each their own. The biggest Sydney talkback names e.g. Hadley deliver what their major market wants. Feuding (real or pretend) between Sydney talk personalities has worked here since talkback began in the 60s. Laws v Rogers was legendary and both were huge stars. Every other week in the Sydney papers for decades it was "Laws feud with … " (whoever). Laws or Hadley would never succeed in Melbourne. Fortunately in Sydney we don’t have to listen to a Neil Mitchell or a Jon Faine here in the Harbour City. Amen to that.

2 Likes

The first three names you mentioned probably won’t feature considering they’re contracted to 3AW.

Apparently it was an interesting afternoon on 4BC yesterday with relocated bfast host Neil Breen in Drive a late scratching due to a positive covid result.

Afternoons host Sofie Formica (yes, former Brisbane children’s TV talent as her first media job) seems to have stayed on until 4pm. Regular fill in and 9 Brisbane journo Peter Fegan made his way to the studios for 4-6pm.

6-7pm sports host Peter Psaltis has covered Drive and his show at times during previous absences of then Drive host Scott Emerson.

Laurel, Gary & Mark opened their show mentioning RATs on their desk and ‘Breenie’ off air, joked of Sofie filling in for the whole station.

Might be a useful idea to give the breakfast team home kits to broadcast?

Whilst typing this, studio mics were left on during a traffic break, nothing interesting in their conversation. On this day segment featured a grab of a Powderfinger song played on 4BC, one of their albums (who knows which one, all more of the same) topped the charts some years ago. Mercifully, the Powderfinger song was not played in full on 4BC.

4 Likes

Looks like I got a screenshot of some comments (seems many had been hidden) before the whole post promoting the Birthday Wheel got removed just a short time ago. Facebook comments aren’t necessarily gospel as to how things are going, but they have really haven’t let up on negative comments in the last couple of weeks.

Hmmm. It’s for this reason I’m feeling that 4BH will be the real winner here.

They’re at least a full blown classic hits station. Not a hybrid.

4 Likes

Can you imagine 2GB doing something like this? The best comparison I can think of is Grubby and Dee Dee going from Gold 104 to 3AW, but they embraced the format of the station they arrived at, not tried to replicate what they had been doing there.

Can’t help but think if 4BH was still a Nine O&O station LG&M might have ended up there and it could have been a big success…

6 Likes

They presented a weekend Magazine program when they both arrived at 3AW and successfully carried on a weekend summer format 3AW have run over many years. Dee Dee is a journalist though so her transitions to weekday afternoons came easy. As for Peter Grubby Stubbs, the man could talk the leg off a kitchen table, so it came as no surprise that they took to 3AW like a duck to water. Makes it so easy when the presenters are adaptable.

4 Likes

Behind in how they report and present news stories. Thumping the desk, levels of assumption, ranting and raving dispersed with stings of dramatic music played after dramatic quotes, which Smith and the taxi driver, ooops, Hadley are both good at, just doesn’t cut it in most other states in 2022 . If that sort of nonsense is still what floats NSW boat, then you are right it is horses for courses. When you take the ratings into consideration people obviously listen to them.
I am neither a fan of Mitchell (why?) or Faine, far from it in fact, but they are both in a different class to these two clowns.

1 Like

I’d be interested to know who you are a “fan” of on AW.
I get Neil can grate on a lot of people but it’s very clear why his program has been number 1 for so many years.

Tom filling in for Neil on mornings has made me warm to him a little more. But I do feel the call ratio when he hosts Drive is much less.

3 Likes

I think that Laurel,Gary and Mark are wasted on 4BC,the next ratings will reflect if their former listeners from 4KQ have followed them over. I’m sure they were well paid to go there but they should be on 4BH instead :confused:

4 Likes

During the weekly segment with AFL Record editor Ashley Browne on the second hour of Sportsday last night (which is only heard in regional Victoria), Gerard Healy said he had a good relationship with all of his co-hosts, and it became obvious to him that he would struggle to host a sports program alone at 3AW in the AFL off-season. Gerard said Sam McClure was a better host than himself and wished Sam all the best if he was offered the hosting role of the new WWOS radio show by 3AW.

Listen to the chat about Healy officially moving to SEN via the podcast below (starting at 52:16 mark)
https://twitter.com/SportsdayRadio/status/1550058754112110592

2 Likes

This is the essence of Sydney talk radio. Always was, always will be. That’s my point … Hadley, Smith, Lawsie, Jones before, et al … all know their main target market beautifully and deliver. Thats not behind anything. Can’t wait until Kyle takes on mainstream Sydney talk radio. He is so successful and will make a further killing …

2 Likes

Who’s replacing Brooke Corte on Money News now she’s off on maternity leave. She does a brilliant job of that program

3 Likes

Likely Scott Heywood. Although i wouldn’t mind hearing Chris Kohler host (from a non Money News listener).

2 Likes

Brooke said at the end of last night’s show that Luke Grant will fill-in for her. Someone might have to fill-in for Luke on Weekend Overnights again, unless he wants to do both.

2 Likes

Simon Owens might fill in for Luke from Melbourne.

1 Like

Luke Grant isn’t a finance journalist. That’s disappointing

1 Like

He might not be a finance journalist, however, the Money News website says that Luke studied economics at university, and went on to work as a senior manager in the insurance industry.

2 Likes