Nine Radio (Talk)

Ray’s not scared to give it to people in the same organisation and it’s got him in hot water in the past.

4 Likes

Yeah I know it’s well documented. I kind of wish he learnt from it. I wonder if it an element of this is intentional to get people to listen.

On a more serious note his approach to work did greatly contribute to mental health issues to some past staff members at GB. Hopefully he has adjusted his behaviour behind the scenes this latest episode is just a bit of theatre. Chris is pretty thick skinned.

1 Like

Herald Sun’s ‘Page 13’ reports that Jacqui Felgate has caught the eye of Nine’s Sydney bosses who want her in a more permanent position at 3AW, “much to the chagrin of their jumpy on-air talent. Watch this space.”

1 Like

Afternoons surely. Dee Dee back to weekends.

8 Likes

Expect the gossip pages to be in overdrive in the next few days. Chris Smith pretty much told Ray Hadley to go jump this morning on air without naming him.

4 Likes

I think that seems to be the goal…

Maybe Grubby and Dee-Dee could host Breakfast on Magic 1278

3 Likes

Surely people are taking the pi55 with Jacqui Felgate. Woeful is being kind based on her recent fill in.

1 Like

Haha she was a hall of a lot better. Actual conversations with people on the show as apposed to the “norm” of opinion and editorial and opposition to things…

1 Like

The ‘feud’ between Ray Hadley and Chris Smith seems to have escalated. With newspaper reports saying Smith has now brought in Lawyers.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/entertainment/confidential/2gb-feud-escalates-smith-calls-lawyers/news-story/c498a1df49183fe1152d2173c07aa700

Chris Smith says he is speaking to lawyers over his ongoing feud with station rival Ray Hadley.

“I have actually engaged two media defence lawyers and will work on that very closely on Monday.”

He added: “I will not be bullied, even by lifetime bullies. I love a good rumble and I look forward to further disagreements and I look forward to standing up for myself each and every single time.”

1 Like

Gotta love Sydney talk back, it is about 20 years behind the rest of the country. Did they include the incidental short sharp stings of music in between each statement that normally sound like an angry upper inflection concluded with an exclamation mark!

3 Likes

Childish word games and behaviour from two men with huge egos. If I were 2GB, I wouldn’t be allowing Chris to fill in on Breakfast again if he doesn’t any potential legal action against one of the station’s biggest names in Hadley.

Personally I’d like to see both of them drift off into oblivion sooner than later. Wishful thinking but they’re both passed their expiry dates. Chris Smith in particular is nauseating to listen or watch.

2 Likes

Hadley must pinch himself every morning as he enters the studio. He wouldn’t even get a gig doing a warm up at a Sportsman night.

1 Like

I miss George and Paul. Chris doesn’t do it for me on the weekends. RIP Paul.

The problem should be taken offline with Nine management.

2 Likes

Sounds like management are doing the old 2UE exercise… shock jocks arguing.

2 Likes

That competiveness (of KQ & BH & BC) was just as strong up to 2014 as you would recall.

3 Likes

I still can’t work out how to create a new post in this discussion.

What I would write though is. Over the last 5 surveys, the Cume averages are:

BC: 106
BH: 33
KQ: 159

BC in putting LGM show on are doing so on a “calculated” risk/benefit of being able to lose a lot of ‘talk/news only listeners’ for the LGM exclusive listeners. A 53,000 difference. But as the LGM listeners are anchored by the music format of Hits/Memories what factor does the pre-sampling of 4BC before LGM started and since has that played in converting KQ listeners to BC LGM Breakfast and how many will go to familiar personality Bob with lots of familiar loved tunes on BH?

Consider the BC listener who could have chosen LGM at KQ. That listener didn’t want that style of show before, now they have it lock, stock and barrel on BC. Has that listener (despite complaining on BC pages) stuck around, switched off or gone somewhere else till 9am?

Eight days into the new landscape, I think BC is looking at a weakened ratings position with let’s say over $700,000 added to their wages bill (5 x ex-KQ hires).

The next four surveys will give time for the market sampling to occur and settle. Watch the survey trend line, it will show what sort of Christmas everyone can expect.

Will 2023 be LGM on BH Breakfast and Bob on BH Drive with the rest of the pre-recorded line up coming from interstate as it does now? For that, BH would need a bricks and mortar base in Brisbane and with the extra wages and facilities that adds costs to the bottom line. Is that in the ACE business plan?

3 Likes

I think you hit the nail on the head in that 4BC listeners would have been listening to L,G&M already if they wanted to. I think 4BC is just hoping they’ll stay because the only other option is ABC. The L,G&M listeners are classic hits listeners. While the show sounds much the same they won’t stay beyond 9am and they’ll get sick of having to switch stations after the breakfast show. I think most will drift off to 4BH or Breeze or community radio.

2 Likes

Herald Sun’s Media Street column is reporting that Sam McClure will be the host of Wide World of Sports, starting on 3AW from November.

As mentioned in the SEN thread, the Sportsday program shifts to SEN with current host Gerard Healy, and his new co-host Kane Cornes.

2 Likes