Nine Radio (Talk)

It’s very rare to have a press release boasting about the stations’ NRL and AFL ratings.

Given 2GB and 3AW’s domination in the recent survey, it makes it even more puzzling by not covering Thursday night games.

1 Like

The simple answer is they don’t want their weeknight evening programming to only run 3 nights a week. Traditional weekend games probably a different listener profile.

2 Likes

For 2GB, they don’t have the rights to Thursday night games. They do score updates though. I remember when Steve Price was doing evenings he didn’t seem too happy about having to do that.

3 Likes

I suspect they can fit in more ads on a normal night’s programming than they can if they are airing the footy.

1 Like

Denis Walter’s producer Marnie Reid is leaving Denis’ Nights program to produce Tom Elliott’s Drive show.

Interestingly, Marnie’s sister Shannon used to be the producer for Derryn Hinch back 10 years ago, and I think she stuck around for Tom’s first year in the role, so now Tom will have had both of the Reid sisters produce his program.

5 Likes
1 Like

From Midday Today AWST, 6PR Football are re-calling the Historic 1992 AFL Grand Final with three of the Premiership Winning Eagles from that Side doing Commentating. Listen here: Teammates re-call West Coast's historic 1992 Premiership

Glen Jakovich and Karl Langdon will Commentate the Eagles Now Famous Premership, they’re maybe a Tribute to Teammate, the late Chris Mainwaring who died in October 2007.

They’d have to do something to forget about the WCE this season. :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

Fiona Byrne reports in the Sunday Herald Sun that Jacqui Felgate will host 3AW Afternoons during the survey break from June 27 - July 8 whilst Dee Dee Dunleavy is on holidays.

Meanwhile, Elise Elliott will co-host Breakfast with Stephen Quartermain, and filling Neil Mitchell’s chair will be Tom Elliott for the first week and Heidi Murphy for the second week. On the Drive program, Heidi Murphy will host the first week, and Shane McInnes the second week.

3 Likes

Slim pickings to have Shane on again… really?

It’s great to see Jacqui has these new opportunities on radio since leaving Seven Melbourne.

5 Likes

3AW analogue signal is down, Neil just announced they are working to bring it back online . Not sure how long it’s been down for, but still on air via Digital and streaming.

1 Like

I wonder if Eddie will continue to be a contributor to Neil’s show after the little tiff they had this morning?

2 Likes

Didn’t Eddie say (when he signed up for the guest role) that he and Neil would have the occasional disagreements on air?

1 Like

They’ll be loving the attention/clickbait and will probably double Eddie’s involvement in the show now :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

According to the Nine Radio Syndication website:

• Tony Pilkington is filling in 4BC Afternoons for two weeks from Monday while Sofie Formica takes a break.
  • Bill Woods is filling in for Chris Smith on both 2GB Weekends and also the nightly Wide World of Sports show (2 weeks straight).
  • Clinton Maynard will fill in for John Stanley on 2GB/4BC Nights for two weeks.
  • Luke Grant will fill in for Jim Wilson on 2GB Drive for two weeks. Interestingly it also says he will take over the Money News slot for those two weeks as well. Not sure if it’s an extension of the Drive show or if he will follow the Money News format.
  • Mark Levy is in for Ray Hadley for two weeks.
2 Likes

And who’ll cover 2GB Breakfast?

I’d imagine Chris Smith will move into the slot.

1 Like

Alice Coster of Page 13 of the Herald Sun has spoken to John Burns, former 3AW Breakfast co-host, who says that Russel Howcroft’s time is up, with the writing on the wall he will be replaced when his contract expires. He says that Mark Allen will be the heir apparent.

As long as the breakfast program keeps bringing in massive ratings, I can’t see them risking a host change, because of a potential loss in ratings and dealing with negative press. John Burns should stay out of it - he’s just bitter he got replaced. Personally I think Ross and Russ are great on-air together and work well, but I really enjoyed the program too when Mark filled in.

3 Likes