Nine Radio (Talk)

Fiona Byrne reports in the Sunday Herald Sun that Eddie McGuire is joining Neil Mitchell’s program in a fortnightly “ideas factory” segment. Neil says they will throw ideas around and agree or disagree.

Another new addition to Neil’s program will be a fortnightly debate between Fiona Patten and Bernie Finn, two of the most polar opposite politicians in Victoria.

2 Likes

A couple more reasons why I wouldn’t listen to Mitchell’s garbage program.

4 Likes

Ok. Cool

2 Likes

I disagree. Neil has had great rapport with Fiona Patten in the past and Bernie Finn’s recent expulsion from the Liberal party makes this even more enticing.

Fair enough it’s not for you but I think this will resonate well and be provocative radio and Nine Radio knows it too!

2 Likes

Seb Costello filling in for Nick McCallum on Sunday Morning and doing a very good job.

2 Likes

Nick was absent after he tested positive to COVID-19.

5 Likes

Fiona Patten is ok, Mitchell is not and Finn is an ultra right wing ratbag. And you’re 100% correct, nothing on 3AW is for me. :smile: :smile:

1 Like

Maybe 3mp might be for you…oh wait you bag the crap out of that.

2 Likes

Funny… :stuck_out_tongue: Yes I’m an oldie who doesn’t like talkback or sleepy music! Prefer a bit of classic rock or even good new rock.

1 Like

Then why are you posting in this thread? You’re just shit stirring for the sake of it and not adding any value to the conversation.

Fair enough if you listened, but if not,
it’s hard to constantly stomach your criticism when you don’t even listen.

7 Likes

It’s such a shame we don’t have another commercial talk network.

3 Likes

Nobody is challenging your right to an opinion. If you listened for more than five minutes and didn’t take the selective views of the “outrage machine” as gospel you’d know Neil’s show isn’t in the same category as Sky News After Dark. I wouldn’t categorise him as a shock jock in the mold of Hadley or Jones, either.

He’s an old school journo who does allow debate, hence the inclusion of politicians from both sides of the political spectrum on his show. His views no doubt reflect somebody of his age but he does invite discussion from opposing sides on issues and makes a contribution to the community by highlighting social problems and exploring solutions. The show is regularly involved in charitable causes and does seek to help those who are ignored by the system. I’d hardly class the man as a “ratbag”.

7 Likes

100% agree. Neil actually can’t stand Sky… ha

Also, this segment with Fiona and Bernie is a shit show. They keep talking over each other. They need to have a bit of order, but the issue is that Bernie loves to waffle and shout, so I can’t see how it will happen.

Also the intro to the segment I believe used to be used on another show on 3AW back in the day… I’m trying to find it.

2 Likes

Have to agree. As much as I think Neil’s annoying at times with his old folk grump over some issues I’d say he’s pretty moderate with his views. Not to mention advocating for big issues and important causes.

I remember when he was up against Pauline Hanson on Today years ago over Uluru and Neil kept pushing back at her which I thought was admirable as many would just let someone like Pauline walk over them.

7 Likes

It’s been tried in Melbourne, e.g. Talk 1116 3AK and then MTR, but the audience has generally been disinterested.

2 Likes

I respect all your views but I still hold mine. Neil will always put his Liberal slant on his views! If I wanted to listen to talkback and informed information I’d listen to Virginia Trioli. I prefer my music (Tidal) or Magic 1278, so I’ll go and leave you AW listeners in peace and enjoy your day.

4 Likes

Was it explained why TJ was filling in for Neil this morning? Only reason is Neil was emailing in on topic and I missed the start of the show.

1 Like

Don’t think so, all Neil said at the end of yesterday’s show was “talk to you Thursday”.

Will be interesting to see who hosts Mornings when Neil takes his two week survey break because TJ will be in London covering Wimbledon.

3 Likes

Maybe Eddie Mcguire might fill in

1 Like

This is a very big chance I reckon.