Nine Radio (Talk)

Obviously someone in Brisbane would know more, but unlike the situation when 3AW/Magic swapped, 882 is now essentially a clear channel with 3YB switching to FM, and the only other 882 being 6PR - which might indeed also switch to FM…

So less likelihood of interference would be a plus point I’d expect. Can’t imagine it’d be on the level of how bad 1278 is/was.

1 Like

4BH is the only Brisbane commercial station on just 5kw ATM.

4BC’s location and signal isn’t that good but it does have a higher power output. It is 17kw during the day and 6,300 at night. If 882 went to 10kw it would probably give a better signal than 1116.

2 Likes

3RPH in Warrnambool is currently broadcasting on 882 kHz. When 3YB converted to FM, they swapped frequencies with 3RPH.

1 Like

I wonder if 4BC would then adopt 6PR’s open line number of 133 882… I doubt it, but it’d be cool.

They should use the same number in every city. Such as 13 13 32 which is already used on 3AW and sometimes on 4BC for local shows

3 Likes

It also meant that 3AW was next to ABC and Magic was next to 3MP. While that wasn’t the primary reason, it was a nice coincidence.

4 Likes

Source

3 Likes

Sunday Morning extending into the afternoon to cover the Roadmap on 3aw.
Currently branded as “Sunday Afternoon” - the newest program to 3aw. (a bit of tongue in cheek)

Weekend break with Grubby to follow the announcement

4 Likes

They should consider extending Sunday Morning to around 1pm or so on a permanent basis I think.

Darren, Nick and Heidi are one of the best trios on talkback radio IMO. Always look forward to their show every Sunday (and to see the callers rip into Nick :rofl:).

6 Likes

It’s one of the few really good programs to listen to on weekend radio

3 Likes

8am October 8th apparently for the 4BC/4BH switch over.

1 Like

6 Likes

3AW roster this week (Mon 20 Sep - Fri 24 Sep)

Overnights
Richard Stansbury (Monday)
Simon Owens (Tuesday - Friday)

*Richard stepped in for Simon this morning because Simon was isolating at home after attending an exposure site and awaiting test results.

Breakfast
Stephen Quartermain & Emily Power

Mornings
Neil Mitchell (Monday)
Tony Jones (Tuesday - Friday)

Afternoons
Elise Elliott

Drive
Heidi Murphy

Nights
Andrew McLaren

3 Likes

4BC moving to new home on 882AM

Nine Radio today announced 4BC will swap frequencies with sister station 4BH, moving to 882 AM to give the Brisbane audience a clearer and better overall listening experience.

This is the first time a radio station in Brisbane has ever swapped frequencies, and 4BC’s new, easier-to-find position on the dial is effective from Friday, October 8, at 8.08am.

From October 8, 4BC will be giving away $882 a day to lucky listeners in a daily Breakfast competition.

4BC Content Manager, Max Dudley, said: “We have made the decision to move 4BC down the dial to 882 AM to enhance the listening experience of our loyal talk radio listeners. Whether they’re on the move, at work, or listening from home, audiences right across the south-east will now have better access to our live and local programming throughout the day.”

The move comes just weeks after 4BC announced it was expanding its on-air lineup with the appointment of Brisbane’s Sofie Formica as the new Afternoons presenter.

4 Likes

Suggesting they think the 882 signal is better and that listeners are using radios that have dials. 4BC will sit between Radio National and News Radio - hardly ratings powerhouses, but closer to 4KQ the number one AM station in Brisbane. Seems a bit old school thinking.

Of course, 4BH did move from 1390 to 880 - “between 4IP and the ABC station 4QG” - at a time when dials were far more common. At the time it also changed from 2kw to 5kw directional so there was a huge signal improvement:

3 Likes

I still don’t see how the 882 move is for wider signal. I find it’s the weakest of all Brisbane AM stations.

2 Likes

It’s Like 2006 when 3AW and Magic swapped Frequencies.

Either way, it’ll ease confusion.

Years ago it was because I was trying to find 1116AM on my analogue radio that I discovered i1197 playing non-stop dance hits.

Maybe this way, they might grab some confused 693AM listeners.

Good thing there’s no local jocks on 4BH because they’re clearly getting the short straw.

1 Like

This is incorrect.
Neil is only working today. Tony Jones filling in for the rest of the week.

Ahh okay, my bad. Just assumed he would be on all week. Richard on Overnights last night mentioned at the start something along the lines of “Neil’s not taking the week off like the others”.

Just checked Nine Radio Syndication too and noticed they’ve adjusted the dates accordingly.

1 Like