Nine Radio (Talk)

I would have gone

Breakfast - Millsy and Simon Beaumont or Oliver Peterson
Morning - Liam Bartlett
Afternoon - Simon Beaumont or Oliver Peterson
Drive - Gareth Parker.

Getting moved from breakfast to arvos is like going from a BMW to a Holden Gemini.

4 Likes

Apologies for dragging this up, but it didn’t get addressed previously.

There are 2 things that can be owned for DAB+ broadcasting.

1. Spectrum space. This is effectively the right to share space on the multiplex. 128kbits automatically allocated to each commercial analgoue licence, with additional able to be bought at auction (only the incumbents can bid). 2GB, 2UE and 2CH didn’t buy any additional spectrum, so they have nothing to sell as they cannot give up that first 128kbits entitlement. So in response to @SydneyCityTV this would have to be leased. However, since your original post, it now appears that SEN have sourced additional spectrum from Sky/2KY, and are using lower error correction to fit in their digital stations.

2. The joint venture company that owns the mutliplex licence and has responsibility to ensure the multiplex goes to air. There is a separate company for each market, and they are effectively managed by CRA (not 100% sure if this is true for the regionals). Each licencee has the right to buy an equal share in the relevant companies, but has no obligation or requirement to. Access fees are charged to all licencees and a cost-recovery basis, so these companies have no realy profit making purpose. The only benefit in owning shares in the company is to have (shared) control over how it operates. For example, not owning shares may increase the risk of poor managment resulting in higher expenses and therefore higher access fees.

In all markets except for Sydney, all licencees own an equal share of the JV company. In Sydney, each licencee bought the initial 7,000 shares in 2008. In 2009 more shares were issued, I suspect to raise funds to purchase all the gear etc. required to get the multiplexes to air. 2GB and 2CH refused because Singo decided that DAB+ was dead, 2KY got 335,425 new shares and all the other licencees got 409,964 new shares. Those shares remain attached their respectively licences, so ownership by network currently stand as follows:

SCA - 416,964 + 416,964 = 833,928 shares = 22.59%
ARN - 416,964 + 416,964 = 833,928 shares = 22.59%
NOVA - 416,964 + 416,964 = 833,928 shares = 22.59%
NINE - 416,964 + 7,000 = 423,964 shares = 11.48%
2SM - 416,964 shares = 11.29%
SKY - 342,425 shares = 9.27%
SEN - 7,000 shares = 0.19%

5 Likes

:eyes:

1 Like

Will 4BC’s jump in ratings for local programs Neil and Scott encourage Nine to input a local mornings and afternoons program?

1 Like

Or to put local programming on their music stations?

An interesting comment from Trevor Sinclair on Facebook.

If Trevor is correct, then 2GB and 2UE are moving to North Sydney, even though it was indicated by Nine that they would be staying at Pyrmont with only the newsroom moving.

Link from @SydneyCityTV 's post on the 2CH thread.

5 Likes

Not surprised. Would make sense for all of the Nine businesses to be in the one spot.

4 Likes

Of course while 2CH have severed their final ties with what was previously the Macquarie Radio Network, their new home is only a short walk away from Nine’s if I’m not mistaken!

Yeah, you’d think that all 2GB/2UE broadcasts will come out of North Sydney even if other operations move a bit after the newsroom does.

Can’t imagine Nine spending money on rent at both Pyrmont and North Sydney (both of which being locations which likely command multi-million dollar price tags) in the long run.

4 Likes

3AW breakfast EP and A Moveable Feast co-host Kate Stevenson has told the Sunday Herald Sun she is leaving the station after 14 years and moving to a media role in the Victorian Government. Her last day at 3AW is this Friday (November 20).
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/fiona-byrne/why-is-kate-stevenson-leaving-3aw-breakfast/news-story/ccd4e9dacc4c1fd2c8f31e84d63136a2
Big loss to 3AW.

7 Likes

Such a shame to see Kate leave 3AW after 14 years with the station, a massive loss.

3 Likes

Kate radiates warmth and is an engaging presenter. Always enjoyed listening to her when she fills in on Breakfast. I agree she is a big loss. If she had ambitions to have a more prominent on air presence, I wonder if her decision to leave was the realisation Nine intends to use their radio interests to promote their television talent?

Wouldn’t be surprised if Heidi Murphy is the next to go. It baffles me that they insist on using Tony Jones as primary fill in for Mitchell when Heidi is so much better in the role. I find Jones rather cold and patronising towards callers and can’t listen to him for any length of time.

11 Likes

Maybe she’ll pop up elsewhere? 3MMM?

who would be Kate’s replacement ?

Probably “Scorcher” Davidson or “Rex” Mossop?

At voicetracking.

5 Likes

Sporting greats join 2GB 873 for a hot summer of tennis

News Talk 2GB 873 has unveiled a line-up of sporting greats to co-host Wide World of Sports radio over the summer months, starting Monday, November 23.

Former Australian cricket captain Mark ‘Tubby’ Taylor will join the team each Monday night, tennis legend Todd Woodbridge will feature on Tuesdays, former ironwoman Candice Warner will appear each Wednesday, while the former long-time TV host of Wide World of Sports, Ken Sutcliffe, will continue as a special guest each Thursday night for “Kenny’s Corner”.

James Bracey, Peter Psaltis and Tim Gilbert have also been announced as fill-in hosts over summer, while regular host Mark Levy takes a short break before filling in for Ray Hadley on Mornings from mid-December.

“Wide World of Sports radio has been a popular addition to our 2GB line-up in 2020 and we’re thrilled that Mark, Todd and Candice are joining our line-up as we head into the summer of tennis and cricket,” said 2GB Content Manager, Luke Davis.

“The show gives Sydney listeners the unique opportunity to speak directly to some of the biggest names in sport and with the experience of Brace, Psalty and Tim at the helm, we’ve got a cracking summer of radio ahead.”

Airing every Monday to Thursday 6pm-7pm, WWOS is a must listen for sports fans, with the expert opinions of treasured sporting icons giving the most up-to-date and informed news about everything happening in the world of sports.

2 Likes

What is interesting is that oversight for the 4BC sports show between 6 - 7pm weeknights is from Sydney.

There was a mention in the past week or so of a Sydney staffer with oversight of this. Which seems strange considering 4BC has a content director and three on air talent slots of breakfast, 2 - 3pm and drive.

It seems there will be no local fill in over summer for the 4BC sport show.

1 Like

Well, as long as the fill in hosts will only be on air between 6 and 7 I suppose I can put up with them…just

2 Likes

Tomorrow is Kate Stevenson’s the Executive Producer of 3AW Breakfast last day.

3 Likes
3 Likes