Nine Radio (Talk)

Probably worth including Lewis Martin’s response to that statement by Beers:

“When Nine Radio told us yesterday they were happy to continue to take our advertising spend but that Jane’s services were no longer required – without notice or a call to Jane after five years on their network, I might add – we elected to review our position,”

The full article is published here - https://www.theage.com.au/culture/tv-and-radio/seven-s-jane-bunn-told-she-s-no-longer-required-on-3aw-breakfast-20200115-p53rkz.html

6 Likes

So if you believe Martin’s version of events, 3AW did indeed axe Bunn. Interesting…

1 Like

Given all this Nine News brand synergy they are trying to bring to the radio network - it does make sense they don’t want “Jane Bunn from Seven News” (which is how she introduced herself) doing the weather on radio.

I think I now believe Martin’s version of events!

2 Likes

I think theres a bit of truth from both sides here but ultimately, it is because she is not a channel 9 identity.

We all know that Mac Media was notorious for doing ANYTHING as long as there was a spend attached, and while I understand that is the commercial radio way, the content they would take money for was at times questionable at best! Hell, they had a whole network based on what clients wanted to throw money at. Talking lifestyle was completely client based. We all know how that sounded and how that ended.

Here is hoping that a bit of radio sense is coming with the new management.

1 Like

Mediaweek did say Alan Jones would be be a reasonably controversial choice as voted by its readers.
RN breakfast with Fran Kelly was second, and 3AW’s Ross and John was third.

1 Like

John Stanley interviewing The Parrot’s faded carbon copy.

https://www.2gb.com/chris-smith-raring-to-go-for-the-kick-start-of-his-new-show/

The Parrot :joy::joy:
What a nickname. I love it

The Weekend Break on 3AW has returned to its normal timeslot of 12pm-6pm.

2 Likes

I did not mind the John and Paul show. Shame it will stop when the footy season starts. Chris Smith show not really my cup of tea.

2 Likes

Nine Radio boss Tom Malone told Mediaweek that the company is still talking to Ross Stevenson about the replacement for John Burns when he leaves 3AW breakfast mid year, but there was no existing plan about a younger broadcaster or a woman to fill the role.
Malone also said 6PR’s Basil Zempilas was a terrific radio broadcaster and was not concerned that Basil works for Seven.

We need the best broadcaster for the audience. The coming together of radio and television is not about trying to get lots of Nine TV people on radio. Hugh Marks is very clear it has to be audience led and what’s best for the audience and the market.

I am pleased Tom Malone made that statement. This should also ensure that AFL commentary teams on 3AW and 6PR, many of which also work for Seven, will remain intact.

2 Likes

We’ll see how long that lasts.

3 Likes

From that Mediaweek article:

The owners of 2CC Canberra have a different opinion, obviously, as they love taking almost 90% of 2GB’s programs.

2 Likes

4BC: Exists
Nine: “We want to be as local as we can.”

Hmm… Could they really be on the path to actually restoring a fully local Brisbane station? The Sydney stuff hasn’t lowered the low ratings further.

3 Likes

Looks as though the new management under nine is doing much better than the morons that use to run the place.

5 Likes

9Radio must not know that 4BC is its own station.

I think MML management sold it as a “+1” to 2GB.

1 Like
1 Like

Marko has been hosting sport on 3AW’s Ross and John this week. I think he may continue in the role until regular panellist Jon Anderson (from Herald Sun) returns.
Not sure about Ox.

3 Likes

Alan Jones will be broadcasting live from Club Catalina in Batemans Bay on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Jones talking to his fill-in Chris Smith:

https://www.2gb.com/alan-jones-to-return-to-radio-with-special-bushfire-broadcast/

1 Like

Haven’t those poor people suffered enough?

7 Likes

https://www.3aw.com.au/were-off-to-gippsland-ross-john-take-up-ministers-invite-to-struggling-tourist-towns/

Maybe Ross and John problay broadcast from Gold1242 Studios in Traralgon