Nine Radio (Talk)

ABC yesterday started promoting its radio coverage of the Olympics.

1 Like

Not sure - one anomaly is that the other “Radio 4bc Brisbane Pty Limited” [sic] (which is listed with the actual 4BC 1116AM license) is listed as registered in Pyrmont, NSW. This with the LPON is registered to Cannon Hill.

1 Like

It probably hasn’t been updated because it hasn’t been used for a long time. It was used for a major fishing competition that 4BC were closely involved with. This was back when 4BC had a local fishing show from at least 5am on weekends that was very popular.

Not sure about the radio rights negotiations, it’s even more secretive then the TV rights negotiations (maybe it’s worth a topic down the track). Herald Sun mentioned last week that radio networks wanted to be able to interview AFL players on the field at the end of the match under the new rights, just like rugby league.

I get the feeling this December 2015 Facebook post from Professional Audio & Television, Lawo’s distributor in Australia is the new Macquarie Lawo system under testing.

Via Facebook

www.2gb.com has been given a makeover.

I wonder if other MRN stations will follow?

The new look 2GB website looks great IMO, hopefully the other MRN talk stations eventually adopt the design.

I wonder when they’ll just give up the old Fairfax identities and go with:

2 Likes

No chance 2UE will go with the rest. I shared a link to a document which has now been removed that accidentally featured the new 2UE logo.

My bet is they’ll keep 2GB’s logo the same. Not sure about the others.

2 Likes

2ue dab quality is now poor. It has static in the background on the Mike Jefferies show. It is also mono. On the weekend the signal was breaking up every now and again.

It seems the static is on AM too but not as obvious.

Edit static is now gone. Temporary issue it seems.

I listened to a bit and although the bitrate might be “80kbps stereo” the audio sounds about half that to my years. Dare I say it, 2SM almost has better sound quality…almost. :confounded:

2gb is still in stereo. You can notice when the steve price show is from Melbourne. The sound quality is poorer. The ads are still in stereo. 2ch magic suffers a similar issue maybe a bit worse than gb when the networking from magic is from Melbourne. Even magic also dont really seem concerned on sound quality despite its a music station.

It seems the fm stations dont suffer as much. Do FM stations invest more in networking equipment?

To me a nice crisp sounding talk station is worth having. The jingles sound better and the occasional tune sounds better.

1 Like

The current audio quality of 2UE is a lot worse than that of Magic 2CH (even during networked programing) IMO!

[quote=“Laoma, post:258, topic:108”]
It seems the fm stations dont suffer as much. Do FM stations invest more in networking equipment?
[/quote]Not sure about MRN’s setup, but SCA, ARN and Nova have invested significant amounts of money in setting up and maintaining their network links.

TBH, a simple tieline setup over ADSL would deliver better audio quality than what MRN appear to be dishing up on their link out of Melbourne.

If I were to hazard a guess it sounds like Steve is coming over a legacy G722 ISDN codec.

Just heard a promo on 2UE for election night coverage. Anyone know who will be hosting this? The obvious would be John Stanley and Stuart Bocking but I just wonder if we will see a simulcast between 2GB and 2UE on Saturday Night with personalities from both stations.

Would make more sense.

I wonder what will 3aw will do this Saturday Night regarding the Election night coverage and their call of the AFL Carton and Collingwood game

Mistake made Moe, known in Brisbane as 4GB.

From what I’ve heard this morning John Stanley is going away from Friday and according to the 2GB website they are doing there normal NRL Coverage so who knows who will be hosting on 2UE on Sat Night.