Nine Radio (Talk)

2UE should broadcast ALL Sydney Swans and Greater Western Sydney AFL Home and Away and Finals Fixtures and The AFL Grand Final.

1 Like

2UE already airs international cricket & the Big Bash during the Summer so adding the NRL (whether itā€™s exclusively or a simulcast of 2GB) along with a decent lineup of sports shows/presenters might not be a bad idea at all

one SLIGHT problem gents - Sydney isnā€™t Melbourne, and we arenā€™t sports nuts because thereā€™s nothing left in our boring, pathetic little lives, like the Mexicans are.

Sport wonā€™t rate in Sydney.

2UE is now broadcasting out of MRNā€™s studios in Pyrmont

Interesting that 2UE are in what looks to be the old 2GB studios. It would have made more sense to update all the studios to have a consistent setup across all the stations under the same roof.

as opposed to what 2UE is doing now?

1 Like

I would have expected that as wel. In saying that they may just be upgrading the studios in a staged approach.

This is correct, towards the end of his show Trevor mentioned that in a few weeks they would be in a new hi-tech studio down the corridor.

what? Being treated like some offshoot of the family that no-one likes or cares about?

Hows about it gets treated like a serious radio station with serious news and issues that arenā€™t full of rabid right-wing nutcases but actually seeks out opinions from all sides and treats the listener with respect?

But whilstever the idiot Singleton owns it, that will never happen.

1 Like

Youā€™re right and I agree it should be a proper news format but as you say itā€™s never going to be treated like a mainstream news outlet as long as itā€™s being owned by 2GB. So I donā€™t think itā€™s a bad idea to go for an alternative sports-leaning format that at least gives the station some purpose and clear focus rather than as you say have it treated like some unwanted family member.

Sydney might not be as sports mad as Melbourne but Iā€™m sure sport still has potential in Sydney radio and would synergise well with 2GB without necessarily cannibalising it.

2 Likes

The Australian reporting that Macquarie Radio does not have commercial radio rights to the Rio Olympics, Seven apparently is asking for too much money. Jones and Ross & John will broadcast live from Rio but will not have live coverage.

1 Like

thatā€™s because SCA bought them.

1 Like

I would doubt it. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s been war-gaming from stations doing sports 24/7 previously and nothing has been able to come from it.

2UEā€™s superior signal strength is ideal for a baby-boomers talk/music format frankly. Its signal is stronger than 2CH and if done correctly could really stand out in the market.

1 Like

Exactly @MarkHD, maybe they could copy Melbourneā€™s 3MP. Was in Sydney a few weeks ago and you have NOTHING nearly as good. Melbourne radio is far superior. And we have lot of interests beside sports. We just have a sports radio station because we follow the best code, AFL! :grin: Only kidding both cities are wonderful and Iā€™ve lived in both.

But SCAā€™s coverage is mostly limited to Triple M stations in Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney and Adelaide (Triple M doesnā€™t have a physical station in Perth). Perth viewers will be left with ABC Radio coverage only.

Not true - the coverage is for the entire Triple M and LocalWorks networks, which includes regional markets and Perth (via Mix 94.5)

I have re-read the media release of SCA gaining Olympics radio rights. As I understand it, the coverage on Triple M and LocalWorks networks are for selected events and similar to Macquarieā€™s coverage at London 2012. The difference this time is the pop-up digital radio station ā€œ7 Rio Liveā€ (simulcast of Sevenā€™s live telecast) but it can only be heard in some capital cities only.

1 Like

IIRC only the ā€œFMā€ rights.
ā€œAMā€ rights are still up for grabs. Iā€™m sure Seven and Macquarie will work out a deal. Not sure where the ABC fits in all this? Maybe they will miss out.

1 Like

Any word on how the AFL radio rights negotiations are progressing.

Anyone know why 4BC would have a narrowcast licence on the north east of Fraser Island? Or is the ACMA database wrong?

http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/site_search.site_lookup?pSITE_ID=403291