Nine Radio (Talk)

https://radioinfo.com.au/news/its-now-john-paul-2gb-weekends

I will hope they can shift the rugby league to sports radio. Pigs might fly though. Or maybe shift it to 6pm then until 10pm.

2 Likes

It seems that Natalie Peters and Erin Molan did not work as well as they hoped. Personally I found the show just waffle. I would imagine John Stanley will give up Friday nights. It will be interesting to hear Chris Smith solo on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Five hours is a long shift on your own.

2 Likes

Tim Webster used to do it at 2UE. When you’ve got all week to plan I’m sure it’s easier.

1 Like

I assume heaps of guest contributors on lighter subjects too

1 Like

Some of the interviews/segments are pre-recorded which at least gives a breather but it will be interesting if Chris Smith can come up with 5 hours of entertainment.

2 Likes

3 days is a long time in media circles:

https://twitter.com/JaneBunn/status/1216973679688474629?s=20

8 Likes

Didn’t see this coming :roll_eyes: 7 talent on a 9 owned radio station was never going to last.

@KevinPerry’s source obviously wrong on this one, otherwise management have done one hell of a backflip.

3 Likes

She did the two days this week as far as I know. Management must have pulled the pin

1 Like

No surprises 9 did this. Probably a good idea. I doubt Quartermain will be filling in on the station in the future given he’s on 10.

9 doing a very good job integrating everything. Was always going to happen when you own tv, radio and press.

This is why all those years ago we had cross media ownership laws but in this day and ages it’s all about size and vertical integration.

3 Likes

If this continues, Jennifer Keyte will no longer appear on 3AW as a weekly guest. She had her segment during Denis Walter’s afternoons show.
This was something I feared when Nine had initial talks with Southern Cross Austereo on a possible merger (the talks failed though).
Will it mean that Nine will ban people from other networks from appearing on 3AW, 2GB etc. though?

1 Like

Who’s no longer host of Afternoons anyway, has Dennis’ evening segments/guests been announced?

I wonder how hard the negotiations were to allow Basil Zempilas to continue out west.

1 Like

Denis’ evening segments have not been announced yet, but one of his regular guests, Peter Hitchener, is now a weekly guest on Diane “Dee Dee” Dunleavy’s afternoons, still on Tuesdays.

3 Likes

Agreed. I have very little doubt that the parent company is eventually going to want all of their star talent on board “Team Nine” across every platform - TV, radio, print and online.

The future of Nine News 6pm TV news bulletin radio simulcasts could be quite interesting as well, since none of the stations which do those are NEC-owned.

You’d think it’d make more sense for the audio of Nine News’ 6pm TV news bulletins to be simulcast on the commonly owned 2GB (I can already imagine the “If you’re not home in time to watch Sydney’s #1 TV news, you can now listen to it on Sydney’s #1 radio station” type promos!), 3AW, 4BC and 6PR rather than Christian community stations and Grant-owned Ipswich commercial station River 94.9.

3AW simulcasting Nine News Melbourne could mean Sportsday being axed or dumped to MSR.

Unless Nine try and Newshub it, an audio simulcast of TV news just makes for bad listening, okay filler on community radio (and horrible filler for the few commercial stations that take TV news), but in its current form isn’t exactly good commercial radio content - making lots of references to the vision.

You’d need to rework Nine’s entire operation and reporting scripting to make Nine News on TV be a good simulcast for radio.

8 Likes

Probably not that hard. 6PR appears to be largely forgotten about. Also, as a permanent presenter of a show he’d have a proper contract that would make him harder to get rid of straight away.

5 Likes

Does Scott Ellis still have his weekly Monday 2pm television segment?

1 Like

Could this be why Steve Price left with his Project commitments?

Yes, that was one of the reasons he left 2GB.

Price, who has lost audience share since taking over the show from Chris Smith earlier this year, was reportedly offered an unspecified role at Channel 9 but turned it down as it would require him to quit The Project on TEN.

7 Likes

Several members of Nine’s NRL commentary team and the AFL Sunday Footy Show are currently signed to other radio stations like Triple M, SEN and Crocmedia. If Nine insists on exclusivity, can it force those people to break their contracts and join 2GB and 3AW instead? Conversely, can Nine do a purge of 3AW AFL commentary team of people who are signed to Seven (Leigh Matthews, Matthew Richardson, Cameron Ling, Tim Lane)?

2 Likes