Nine Radio (Talk)

Same content on SEN and MSR at the same time, really what’s the bloody point? Sell the frequency.

3 Likes

I think he models himself very much on Alan Jones and get the feeling that he has never really had much input from a Program Director as such, (which is a shame as he is a decent broadcaster). Purely a business decision given the amount of money mid-dawn generates, (minimal).

2 Likes

Tony Moclair and Bianca Johnston have posted on Australia Overnight’s Facebook page in response of their show being replaced by Michael McLaren from next Monday.

Dear Listeners,

In the ever changing landscape of the media, We are sorry to say that we (Tony and Bianca) will not be returning to Australia Overnight this year.

As of Monday, Michael McLaren will become the new host the show.

Most importantly we want to thank you for your company and for allowing us into your homes, cars, trucks and workplaces- wherever you may have been listening to Australia Overnight;

We’ve valued your loyalty and contribution to the show. You’ve been a wonderful audience and as we all deal with this change together, we sincerely hope you extend the same warmth, generosity and passion that you have shown us to Michael McLaren and his team.

The Overnight audience is a family whose support is essential to the fabric of the show.

Wishing you all the best.
Thank you.

Tony and Bianca
PS. We’ll be around the station in the New Year.

1 Like

That means Jane will continue to present weather on 3AW on weekdays after the 7am and 8am news.

2 Likes

Yes, because Seven pay for her to be on there. It’s advertising.

5 Likes

Question from an outsider, does she read this from the studio or is it a phone/ISDN/Tieline cross and for how long?

Yes, but in this scenario - Seven are paying Nine to advertise a Seven product and appear on a Nine product.

She does these crosses via phone and usually for about 3/5 minutes.

4 Likes

It was mentioned in an interview with Herald Sun last year, Jane does the weather crosses via phone from her home, often in her pyjamas.

3 Likes

You’d think that if Seven wasn’t paying to have a Jane Bunn weather segment on 3AW Breakfast, it would’ve been quite quickly dumped for a Livinia Nixon one?

2 Likes

Great observation

1 Like

Please explain? (and please picture Pauline Hanson in your head saying that would you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

1 Like

Nothing particularly new in that. Back in the old days, the Herald and Weekly Times owned Channel 7, 3DB and the Herald and The Sun newspapers. The two newspapers frequently carried ads for opposition channels to Seven.

And The Age which owned radio station 3XY used to also carry ads for other radio stations. Then when The Age came under Fairfax control in common with Channel 7, it still carried ads for other TV channels.

Sales $$$ can sometimes override network rivalries.

4 Likes

Wikipedia is your friend:

ISDN is commonly used in radio broadcasting. Since ISDN provides a high quality connection this assists in delivering good quality audio for transmission in radio. Most radio studios are equipped with ISDN lines as their main form of communication with other studios or standard phone lines. Equipment made by companies such as Telos/Omnia (the popular Zephyr codec), Comrex, Tieline and others are used regularly by radio broadcasters. Almost all live sports broadcasts on radio are backhauled to their main studios via ISDN connections.

2 Likes

Well Pauline…

@AustralianAerial’s links pretty much cover it but it is (near) studio quality over a phone line in the case of ISDN via a broadcast unit. As the link points out, a lot of sports broadcasts use it although Telstra is phasing is out. Wondered whether Jane might have a unit at her home that she could use to do her weather segments.

Tieline is much the same but over internet. It’s a newer form of technology and due to to the poor internet in this part of the world, more prone to occasional dropouts. The best part about Tieline (if you don’t have a dedicated broadcast unit) is you can do it over the phone through an app and connect to a studio.

3 Likes

Would this be what the ATN traffic reporters have always used? Always wondered how they sounded just like they were part of the station / in the studio… Except of course they’re not.

ATN Melbourne’s studios are at Essendon Airport for example (where there chopper hanger also is) and their admin/sales in the Rialto Towers.

1 Like

unsure. years ago, I saw an old video from an ex-Hi5 singer who was working for ATN in Sydney (Link now below) and it appeared they had studio equipment that he could record his reports onto and they would be FTP’d or otherwise digitally sent into the radio station log. I suspect most would be pre-recorded before time and transmitted back, but for a station like 3AW they may do live via ISDN. I’m not really sure.

EDIT: here’s the link. I can’t really be bothered watching it cos it’s getting late but I flicked through and it looks like he does have an ISDN sorta set up. 8 years ago mind…

2 Likes

What if Livinia Nixon doesn’t want to do it?

1 Like

There is a important key difference between Jane Bunn and Livina Nixon. Jane Bunn is a Qualified Meteorologist where as Livina Nixon isnt

2 Likes

Not sure that is correct. She usually does weather on 3AW after the 7am and 8am news only and it’s only about 90 seconds.

It’s not via phone either, the sound quality is much higher quality than that. Discussion above on ISDN/tielines but I actually think she pre-records them from home and then sends the audio reports via email/FTP. Something simple like that.

2 Likes

Well look at the 2gb website (for the weekend show), it will be the Chris Smith show. No more “Paul”. No official retirement or farewell for Paul. Its a shame, they should of said something when George was leaving that Paul will be back but only on a part time basis or as a guest. Although I don’t think Paul may not suit Chris’s style. Its probably good to have a fresh start.

Will George and Paul pop up somewhere else?

2 Likes