Nine Radio (Music)

Think we’ve had this discussion before. Maybe come back to me in another 12 months and let me know how the 6-8 month on air axing is going.

1 Like

The Continuous Call Team is on sportsradio.com.au for Melbourne Listeners While 1278am takes the Essendon Fremantle Clash As 3AW is Focusing On the Federal Election.

1 Like

What is saving MSR, for now at least, is less to do with the programming but more the risk of embarrassment if there was yet another relaunch of those frequencies and the new station fared no better than TL or MSR. No station boss can be happy that the station on the frequency that was home to the once mighty 2UE for so many years is now getting 0.5% in Sydney. They won’t say that publicly but it’s the truth of the matter.

4 Likes

It’s a secondary channel to 2GB. Radio, just like TV, has changed. Outside of the callsign, 2UE (whatever that is, I’m not from Sydney and I’m also under 40) is dead, move on. Macquarie definitely have.

Although far from the glory days, 2UE was still alive until the merger of the Fairfax & Macquarie Radio Networks essentially killed the station bit by bit.

I even think there’s a space in the Sydney radio market for a decent sports radio station. But no NRL = fail.

I agree. They’d be even more embarrassed to admit that the Talking Lifestyle format (with at least some familiar ex-2UE programming) was probably killed pre-maturely in Sydney. OK, so the TL ratings were awful in Melbourne/Brisbane but at least hovering around the 3% mark in Sydney was better than being at 0.5%!

…which was phased out in Early 2017 as Talking Lifestyle replaced Magic in Melbourne & Brisbane.

1 Like

So, like I said, outside of the callsign it’s gone. Move on. Macquarie clearly aren’t interested in it, otherwise they’d have kept it.

I’m not suggesting bringing back the callsign and I agree that is definitely a secondary issue bordering on the irrelevant now. Ultimately people will listen if a station is offering something they want to hear, regardless of the callsign. It seems that only 0.5% of Sydney radio listeners want to hear what 954 is currently offering. I can’t think of any CEO in any business I’ve worked, inside and outside of radio, being happy about going to the Board and telling them the news that the share of the market was a whopping 0.5% and presenting that as a positive. I can think of one CEO who needed a very stiff drink before appearing at a Board meeting to explain a market share that was better than that.

I think however we can both agree, albeit for maybe different reasons, that MSR will not be disappearing for the time being.

5 Likes

You call it moving on, I call it owning 3 nil rating radio stations that are costing money every day. As a Macquarie shareholder I am underwhelmed.

8 Likes

Are they making a profit?
Is this a more cost effective method of utilising the spot than Talking Lifestyle or whatever it was before was?
There’s a lot more to things than a ratings number. The share price is one, for example.
Personally, I only want to listen, not own some of the company. If you do, good for you. You seem rather negative about their position and I have no idea about their share price/history (not something I remotely care about). Maybe it’s time to sell them?

Nope, never worked in any area of the media, not that that’s anyone else’s business anyway.
I’m merely an interested listener of live sport and sports talkback. Actually followed Mark Allen and David Schwarz across to MSR from their SEN axing. Used to be solely an SEN listener (which is online as I don’t live in a state Macquarie airs content into) but these days I tend to flick through SEN, MSR, RSN, do a bit of ABC, Triple M and 3AW when listening to AFL too. Didn’t mind EON back in the day either.
So, yes, lot more things than purely a ratings number in my opinion.

Hilarious. The potential audience for 2UE has not. The unserved audience of Sydney is waiting for a useful format on 2UE that is successful.

As a public company, any other without the near illiquid register that MRN has would be questioned as to why three out of their seven assets are being left to waste like this.

4 Likes

Excuse me?
What I’m finding hilarious is the constant attack on me because I enjoy listening to a radio station.
Like I’ve said, 2UE is purely a callsign- it’s dead, move on. Outside of the 3 or 4 people here I’m sure no one cares.
As a public company, I’m sure if you wanted to you could buy enough shares to make a difference.

Here let me fix that for you…

“Like I’ve said, Macquarie Sports Radio - it’s dead, move on. Outside of the 3 or 4 people here I’m sure no one cares.”

All your arguments for Macquarie Sports Radio can just as easily be applied against it.

We’re not attacking you but the insurmountable truth of it all is as a commercial radio station it’s ratings are pitiful in all 3 of its markets ergo no one is listening.

That’s a fail in my book.

I admire your enthusiasm for the station but if you really want to help them can you please encourage another several thousand people (preferably ones with rating books) to listen to it!

4 Likes

But it’s actually on air, so the complete opposite of the statement I made previously.

All my arguments?
Secondary channel to 2GB/3AW/4whatever? That’s true.
2UE outside of callsign is dead? True.
Macquarie being a publicly listed company? True. And, I’m not sure why disgruntled shareholders would be actively seeking to hold a stock if it is behaving so poorly.
More cost effective than Talking Lifestyle? I have no idea and never claimed to.
More to it these days than ratings? True. Things such as streaming as easy and hard at the same time to track. Example: I don’t listen to MSR through their website, I listen through an app that has the ability to play it. I’m not sure whether they can track that and count me as a streaming listener or whatever the lingo is.
Yes, I’ll agree 0.5 is reasonably ordinary. Maybe they should just remove themselves from the survey like so many other stations do?
In the meantime, I’m looking forward to their World Cup coverage.

1 Like

Me too but I wish they did more live cricket. I also believe they should have all the rugby league and afl in Melbourne. Also they should use nts more often. Although for rugby league I wish Macquarie would go to the games.

I do miss the old 2ue. However happy we have another cricket station.

Yep, MSR Melb has NRL. I know they have the continuous call team, I assume they use Crocmedia as well. No idea.
See, this is why I suggested they’re a secondary channel. 3AW gets the AFL, MSR1278 gets the NRL. And vice versa in Syd and Bris.
Agree, would be nice if they had more cricket.

Roy & HG join MSR Saturday mornings.

https://www.sportsradio.com.au/roy-and-h-g-join-macquarie-sports-radio/

2 Likes

gee can it get any worse… them 2 blokes are soooo friggin annoying, anytime i see them on the TV i change the channel

3 Likes

2SM as a call sign was dead and buried in Sydney yet it was resurrected. There’s still hope.

1 Like

I’ll give them a try, but their peak was in the mid nineties doing State of Origin

1 Like