Nine Radio (Music)

Except enough fools will vote for Clive to disrupt and influence results in electorates where the race is tight. So he has a huge impact.

2 Likes

MSR drive co-host Mark Allen has revealed he has stage-four bowel and lung cancer. He will undergo a third major operation this Thursday to cut out 70 per cent of his bowel, and will take three weeks off from the drive slot to recover from the operation.
https://au.sports.yahoo.com/popular-radio-host-reveals-shock-cancer-diagnosis-095503022.html
Best wishes to Mark.

2 Likes

Is he one half of the duo that were on SEN?

Indeed - Allen and Mark Schwartz host drive together on MSR

2 Likes

After listening to the interview with Ray Hadley this morning I am phoning my Gastro guy today for a Colonoscopy

2 Likes

Essendon v Fremantle this Saturday night will be heard on MSR 1278 instead of 3AW due to Federal election coverage.

According to 3AW website, Essendon v Fremantle coverage will start at 5pm AEST (after live NRL) with two hours of pre-match interviews and discussion, overlapping with 3AW’s call of Geelong v Western Bulldogs (4.35pm AEST start).

Will 2GB take the Second Half of the Giants vs Carlton Match?

I doubt it. They don’t broadcast Swans games, why would they broadcast games of the Greatest Wankers (in) Sydney? That’s what 954 is for.

954 won’t broadcast the second half of Giants v Carlton as it is covering the A-League grand final between Perth and Sydney.

Is Macquarie Sports Radio even still on?

How much longer can it survive with next to no listeners?

2 Likes

Agree. When I saw a notification of 7 unread messages on the topic, I wondered if there’d been an announcement of ending the format.

Exactly. Plus how can it survive being such a drain on the balance sheet?

High cost format, multiple presenters per shift and producers.

Realistically, it will continue until NEC complete a full acquisition of MRN or exit the business. There’s a matter of saving corporate face.

The director list surprised me, Hywood still on MRN board, no NEC representation either.

MRN have been lucky to have self interested investors filling up much of the share register such as Singo and his associates first, then Fairfax and now Nine. MRN’s luck may have run out if Nine exits, a minor write off for Nine.

As we always write when the question is posed here, three individual music formats to fit the niche in each east coast capital would be the lowest cost and likely generate a profit in time. Specific staff costs across the three would be less than $1M, closer to $500 000/yr.

3 Likes

Here we go agian!!!

We’ve now had more than a year of Macquarie Sports Radio. Aside from contractual obligations, I personally can’t find any compelling reason for the station to remain on-air.

Results of the most recent ratings surveys would suggest that the vast majority of radio listeners in Melbourne, Brisbane and especially Sydney (954AM is currently getting some of their worst ratings ever - absolutely appalling when you remember just how much of an institution 2UE used to be in this city) don’t want it.

4 Likes

It’s a forum and it’s a fair question when you’re talking about a station as consistently poorly performing as MSR. When they start doing well then we can start talking about that.

5 Likes

What was the great Major Network is now KIIS Melbourne, HIT 105 Brisbane, Mix 102.3 Adelaide and 6PR Perth which are all in at least reasonable shape, and Macquarie Sports Radio Sydney which is in the gutter.

3 Likes

Yep, another month, another 10 posts from the same 3 or 4 people complaining that MSR exists. It’s a tiresome argument zzzzzzzzz

Yep, another month, another 10 posts from the same 1 or 2 people arguing why MSR should exist. It’s a tiresome argument…Considering the stations ratings…

5 Likes

MSR is as useless as 1377SEN+.

The problem is, it ain’t going anywhere.

1 Like

Pretty sure it will go if and when Nine get full control

4 Likes