Nine Radio (Music)

Surprised the ad didn’t tell listeners to ‘Come on Down’ to 1278AM

2 Likes

Grundy/Fremantle probably still has that trademarked :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I noticed that Magic 1278 has stopped airing the news from 7pm-5am weekdays

Strangely Magic 1278’s sister station 3mp still air the news between 7pm-5am

4 Likes

That matches what 4BH did last year. I guess they’ve decided Classic Hits format doesn’t need news at night, while the Easy Music format on 3MP and 2UE does.

2 Likes

Wish they’d do it during the day.

2 Likes

According to Herald Sun’s Alice Coster, it was supposed to be hosted by Mark Allen and David Schwarz, however issues with ACE Radio over arrangements with their current employer Nine meant the idea was cancelled at the last minute. This came after the duo’s sports show The Twilight Zone was axed by 3AW last year.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/page-13/page-13-new-david-schwarz-mark-allen-breakfast-show-cancelled/news-story/587126a5e2896b493f61d0739146527c

1 Like

And thank goodness it was.

It’s scary knowing this is ACE’s real intentions for Magic. Please don’t destroy it.

I didn’t really get the gist of that article at all. So the problem was with Nine? Yet Nine own 3AW and Magic (leased to ACE). I think the writer of that article could use some tips on how to actually write an understandable piece. Unless there’s other detail I’m missing.

1 Like

It’s the Herald Sun, a lot of their articles don’t make sense. Specially those by Panahi and Bolt.

Why would Ace put these two on a music station? I enjoyed them long ago when they were on SEN. They are good when talking about sport but I didn’t enjoy their “social” chatter. Please Ace keep Magic music only!

3 Likes

https://www.4bh.com.au/win/4bh-easter-500/

2 Likes

Just 500 starting Good Friday, voted by listeners, so it won’t be the same.

Obviously don’t have the IP property to know what the actual top 1,000 was without copying 4KQ’s previous lists. I suppose using a voted list is one way around it.

Magic 1278 is also doing an Easter 500. What’s the betting they’ll both be the same?

Edit: I filled in my top 5 songs on the Magic1278 site and 4BH comes up at the bottom of the page when the form is submitted. I am sure they’ll be the same!

7 Likes
7 Likes

4KQ listeners with nowhere else to go turned to 4BH. Lucky for them. Magic and 2UE continue struggling, so nothing for ACE to congratulate themselves about.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say 2UE is struggling. A 4.5 share for an AM station in a highly competitive market is not a bad result considering it took 2CH over 3 years to get to a 5 share before it was blown up.

Melbourne is a different story, it’s very competitive and the dominance and Smooth, Gold and AFL would be a contributing factor you’d think.

3 Likes

Fair enough but both magic and 3MP have gone backwards this year, despite adding people like Shawn Cosgrove.

It’s disappointing as the music on Magic and 3MP is good.

It’s incredible to think Magic was on a 6 share when Macquarie blew it up and launched Talking lifestyle back in 2016. It’s never recovered.

At least ACE can look at Brisbane as a success and Sydney closing in on a 5 share.

6 Likes

I wonder how 2UE would go if they took the Magic log?

2 Likes