Nine Radio (Music)

Following on from the above regarding the music on 4BH. My alarm just went off to You Give Love A Bad Name / Bon Jovi. Come on 4BH, it’s 7AM! There’s nothing wrong with playing Bon Jovi at other times but at 7AM?

4KQ would never have spun that one at breakfast.

The harder rock songs on 4BH still jar a bit at times given the station’s easy listening heritage over decades. They need to put a bit more thought into it.

2 Likes

Magic 1278 promoting being in stereo from 8.05am today.

2 Likes

On DAB or AM?
2UE have been promoting being in Stereo on DAB for some time now.

2 Likes

Not sure. I just stepped out of the shower and heard the tail end of the break.

2 Likes

Yes same as 4BH. They promote being in stereo on DAB quite often.

2 Likes

It looks like some lineup changes in Melbourne.

Shawn Cosgrove now weekdays at Magic1278, meanwhile at 3MP I cannot find any mention of Jon & Julie’s breakfast show (Jon is actually hosting afternoons/drive on Magic).

Plus Len Johns & Livinia Nixon are no longer mentioned on the Magic1278 website (I always wondered by ACE kept Livinia on - obviously just to see out her contract).

Does anybody know anything else?

1 Like

Jon & Julie’s breakfast show ended quite suddenly about a month ago. They said it was their decison. Julie will be swapping with Dave Ferguson to nights. Jon is now doing afternoons at Magic. Not sure what happened to Len Johns. I didn’t hear him mention he was ending his show. Livinia finished up in December. Shawn has been doing sunday Night 70s on 3MP. Not sure if that will continue.

1 Like

Were Jon & Julie ever live? Or voicetracked? And did they ever do caller segments?

Since ACE took on 2UE, Magic and 4BH, I always found it interesting that they retained a breakfast duo at 3MP but not at the other stations.

Greg Allen has also moved across to 3MP from Magic.

Magic also adding the 5 O’Clock Top 10 Countdown feature from Monday.

1 Like

If it wasn’t live it was near live as they would talk about topical news from that morning and do occasional time calls. I think there were call in segments but they’re often pre-recorded on music stations aren’t they?

1 Like

Jon & Julie show had a trivia segment where they asked for callers if I remember correctly

1 Like

According to a Facebook 4KQ fans page, it has been confirmed that 4BH will be doing an Easter Countdown over the Easter long weekend.

4 Likes

They had a quiz daily, with hints earlier of answers, so must have been live.
Not any more.

Greg has been replaced by Jon.

2 Likes

Looks like 4BH has decided to not air JAM Nation at 6pm weeknights this year. It was always a bit of a surprise to me that they bought that over from 4KQ. I kinda understood why 4KQ had it, they were technically part of the same company and same network so I assume they were told to air it, but 4BH chose to bring it across when 4KQ shut down (and I assume they’d have had to pay for the rights to air it?).

I personally didn’t mind the show* (I know some disagree), but it didn’t really fit with the rest of the station being a fully music station with no other talk shows, so it makes sense for it to not be on air this year. Around that 6pm mark the announcer has even been making a comment about 2023 having even more music which I think is a subtle reference to listeners that JAM Nation is gone.

*I think I’ve said this before but, in my opinion, of all the Sydney Breakfast lineups on music stations that have a “team” (so excluding things like 2GB/ABC on the talkback end and Smooth on the pure music end), from a high level view, Jonesy & Amanda seem the most similar to something you’d hear on Brisbane FM Breakfast.

3 Likes

It’ll probably pop up on River94.9.

3 Likes

Saw an ad promoting his show in today’s Herald Sun.

2 Likes

Amazing. Obviously targeting the old 3MP listeners who’d remember him.

Well done ACE.

Worth noting though - isn’t Magic1278 available on iHeart? They always promoted 3MP as being on iHeart in their promos. Interesting it is not mentioned here.

The “1278” at the bottom looks a bit simple. But I guess that’s what you get when you choose a logo with an absolutely miniscule frequency mention (at least they have their frequency unlike Nine Radio Talk stations).

Also - wouldn’t it be smarter to promote Gavin Miller (even though he’s on Workdays) as he’d probably be a more popular announcer at the station over Shawn?

yea to to the people who used to listen to Gavin Miller on Gold 104.3. They probably do not know where he moved to after leaving Gold 104.3 at the end of 2021

2 Likes

and 3KZ listeners, and 3UZ listeners, and the old Price Is Right viewers… :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes