Nine Radio (Music)

4BH have grabbed most of 4KQ’s audience, rising from 1.3% in the last survey to feature 4KQ (10.2%) to 8.6%.

4 Likes

I’ve just completed a 4BH Music Panel survey. I’d forgotten that I’d applied on their website that I’d be interested in participating, they sent me an email not long ago. Had to listen to snippets of about 480 songs all up ranging from early 60s to late 80s , I said which ones I’m sick of,most songs that pop up in the “Oh No Not that Song Again “ thread.There wasn’t any I didn’t know , I would be in their target audience, the over 55 year olds.
It would be great to win the $1000 too but as I never win anything I won’t get my hopes up :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Yes. I have completed several of these for Magic 1278 in Melbourne. Yet to win anything though and the songs I said I disliked are still being played.

1 Like

So it’s all for nothing,they’ll still play all those songs that I’m sick of and don’t want to hear anymore :confused:

There are songs “we” may be sick of but are the favourites of others. So just because “we” don’t want to hear them anymore doesn’t mean others don’t. Personally I never want to hear anything by The Police or Sting (makes me turn off the radio)ever again but I believe they are very popular with some people. For the life of me I don’t know why. :laughing:

Ace should use the same music format they use on Gold 1242 on Magic 1278 as well.

I can’t see why not.

Use the Slogan from 3ne

Melbourne’s Magic 1278 Playing the Hits you love

2 Likes

Could do with 2UE and Magic 1278 a Bit More, But give 3MP some More Diverse Programming.

Most listeners would be listening through the app or on DAB radio.

So today 4BH started doing a top 10 countdown at 5pm each day (apparently 7 days a week, so also the weekends). The countdown is themed or year based (today’s was transport themed - so it had songs like Big Yellow Taxi, Bus Stop, Drive etc.).

So little by little they’re adding the types of music features that 4KQ had (this is basically the Classic 9@9 when they do themes, except 10 songs instead of 9 and at 5pm instead of 9am). They’ve now got double shots, songs from the vault, 70s and 60s shows on the weekend, Jukebox Saturday Night, JAM Nation at 6pm weeknights and a Friday night show (Totally 80s instead of Friday Night Fever).

The only major differences now are not having a typical breakfast show with talk hosts (instead focusing on a More Music Breakfast as a differentiator), not having 70s hours twice a day and not having the themed weekends. Oh and of course they don’t have that iconic 4KQ news theme😥.

Anyway, they’ve certainly built up the station quite a bit since the July 1 switchover of most of the 4KQ listeners.

8 Likes

And to think they’ve done all this without a local studio. All local staff (there’s 7 apparently) work from home including home based studios for local announcers.

7 Likes

I don’t think the interstate announcers realise that 4BH doesn’t do news after 6pm weekdays. Many of them are saying back after the news when there is no news. I know they’re not sharing the back announcing with 2UE/3MP because they specifically say 4BH, but yea, kinda weird.

3 Likes

4BH should take the news from 4BC at least until they stop producing local news which is around 8pm local time. After that time they take 2GB’s which usually has more Queensland stories than normal from that time.

1 Like

This is what they used to do until 3 or 4 months ago. They used to have the news every hour all through the night like you described, but they stopped taking it past 6pm a few months ago (possibly to mimic what 4KQ used to do with no news past 6pm).

Oh and I do find it amusing that if you listen really really carefully straight after the 4BH news intro, sometimes you can hear the very end of the 4BC news intro very faintly for a second before the newsreader starts the bulletin. Not every time, but sometimes. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I’ve noticed of late, that in the short break between the TOH news & the sport, on 2UE there is a ad for SEN1170.
WTF is going on there, it’s not like they’re stable-mates/sister stations, they’re 2 entirely different companies/operations now, why are ACE advertising a competing (I use that term loosely) station, I think hell would freeze over before say Nova had an ad spot for KIIS after the news.

3 Likes

It’s a commercial agreement between SEN and Ace Radio. Ace Radio’s regional Victorian stations (along with syndicating a lot of SEN programs) also air SEN-produced sport updates and SEN podcast highlight snippets such as Gerard Whateley’s show at various times too.

3 Likes

Just. Wow.

Completely different target audience. A bit of an insult to the ex-2CH (and 4KQ if it also airs in Brisbane) listeners who lost their favourite music station to SEN.

6 Likes

I listen to a bunch of 4BH during the day at work and I’ve yet to hear an ad for SENQ - just ads for funeral homes and aged care and decking etc. That’d be super weird especially on 4BH since that’s where a bunch of the ex 4KQ listeners went and most of them aren’t too happy with SEN for what happened to 4KQ. So there probably isn’t much point advertising SENQ on 4BH, most of those listeners would know exactly what SENQ is and deliberately chose to switch away from it to 4BH (or 4BC) as soon as it launched :sweat_smile:.

5 Likes

At our neighbourhood street party, people were still lamenting the loss of 4KQ (unprompted by me!). “What do you listen to now?”. In short everyone said that 4BH was their go to local radio station now, but that it wasn’t as good as 4KQ. I have thought the same thing, that when 4BH switched to the 4KQ format they played a bigger range of music than now. Also a lot more rock; they have became very mellow and safe. The neighbours seem to mostly use smart speakers get 4BH rather than just DAB. Their other choices seem to be on-line classic hits stations presented by Sonos speakers. A few didn’t know that the breakfast team was on 4BC. I am supposed to help some who want to know how to get Breeze and Rebel!! Obviously scintillating discussion at our party :smile:

7 Likes

Interesting comments but I’m not surprised 4BH is the go for most of them. I’ve had similar conversations (also not prompted by me). Most are now listening to 4BH but a few I know are on Breeze.

I find 4BH ok overall but a few issues with the music at times. I like how there’s more music at breakfast (even though I also miss Laurel) but I do find that sometimes the music at breakfast is a bit too clangy… Hearing ACDC and Celine Dion at breakfast back to back is not good. They play a few songs that are a bit to ‘hard’ for 6.45 in the morning…

5 Likes