Nine Radio (Music)

I agree that a rebadge is a good idea for Magic, how about a nod to both the old 3kz and 3xy stations, perhaps, ’ Thats Melbourne! 3XYZ, with a tight playlist of the current hottests hits and great classic top 40 :sunglasses:

1 Like

Technically Radio Hellas don’t own the name, it is available to register.

1 Like

Further to my previous post…Are you reading this ACE, GO AND REGISTER THIS GRANT JOHNSTONE.

3 Likes

I’ve noticed since about last Tuesday or Wednesday (can’t 100% remember, Wednesday I think) that 4BH hasn’t been taking the hourly news after 6pm anymore (at least on weeknights, haven’t checked weekends). 2UE and 3MP still take it, but 4BH has stopped. This matches what 4KQ used to do with regards to news.

7 Likes

Magic 1278 still has news on the hour every hour 24 hours a day except on Saturday nights 7pm-midnight when the party show is on.

2 Likes

Weekends also. Sat and Sun nights are announcer, news and ad free. 3MP still have hourly news 24/7 except Sat 7-11 pm.

3 Likes

So yesterday afternoon on 4BH they played Ride on Time by Black Box. I like that song, but I did not expect to hear that on 4BH, that’s always been more a 97.3 Saturday Night Party Mix type song.

They’re certainly experimenting with the music a bit in the last week or so, heard a few 90s tracks added to the playlist too. Glad to see things are slowly evolving.

5 Likes

The good news with 4BH is I think ACE understand what is at stake here.

Done right, 4BH could really become a powerhouse and even overtake 4BC which would make a few Nine folk jealous.

7 Likes

I’ve just noticed on their website that 4BH now has “Totally 80s” at 7pm to Midnight on Friday nights.

5 Likes

Herald Sun reporting that with Mark Allen and David Schwarz’s 3AW program being axed, the pair will likely end up on Magic 1278 Breakfast next year.

What?? Are they SERIOUSLY considering another failed commercial sports AM station?

I feel sorry for Magic. The boys are good, but not for Magic.

Please NO! Didn’t mind them way back on SEN but don’t need any more ‘blokey’ breakfast shows.

2 Likes

Up against Breeze 92.1 who also have an 80s program at that time.

1 Like

not a question aimed at you as the messenger, but why on earth is this “likely”? I would not be a good fit for the station format at all. Does Melbourne really need another sports-themed breakfast show? There’s already SEN and RSN and neither are rating through the roof.

The only reason I think this could become a reality is because of the Coodabeen’s on 3MP. Maybe they’ll bring them across to Magic and make that more of a classic hits/sports station?

Mind you, the Coodabeen’s would’ve been a better fit on Magic rather than 3MP.

1 Like

The Herald Sun report is 8 days old. I can find no reference anywhere to suggest that Mark Allen and David Schwartz are moving to Magic or any other station. To suggest that it’s “likely” is absurd and unfounded. It’s not even a similar shift.

It’s in Jon Anderson’s sport section.

Definitely not! Why would (or does as in 3MP’s case) any music station have these has beens interrupting the music. They may have been relevant 20 years ago on the ABC but have now surely passed their used by date. Why do some posters want chatter on music stations? Announcers who know the music , yes, blokey know it all chatter, no.

2 Likes

a music station that inherited the old 3AW call sign.

Fact-checking clearly not a strong part of Jon’s columns.

Would be very surprised to see them do breakfast: could potentially make for a replacement for Sportsday across the ACE regional AMs, with Magic giving them a Melbourne outlet?

With ratings of 0.6% they couldn’t do any worse.

2 Likes