Nine Radio (Music)

The first of the now former 4KQ announcers has surfaced at 4BH now.

“BBQ Bob” has popped up in the program guide from Monday doing Breakfast according to the website.

UPDATE: Courier Mail article also confirms this. However, he won’t begin until July 11th.

He said he would bring an “unmistakably” Brisbane feel to the show and tipped to take the station to the next level when he starts on July 11.

Gallagher will be the solo breakfast host, in tandem with guests, listeners calling in and of course, music.

5 Likes

For some reason ace did not go after Laurel, Gary & Mark which is a shame for the trio

3 Likes

Who says they didn’t? Maybe they just couldn’t get a deal. It’s quite likely one or all of them didn’t want to go to 4BH.
Although 4BH’s budget would be fairly limited too, so they’d probably have a hard time making 3 people (plus the support team they’d need - which would be at least one producer) fit into the budget.

6 Likes

Maybe they have another offer?

Speaking of 4BH, it’s their First Night as The Sole AM Music Station in Brisbane following 4KQ’s Demise Last Night.

4 Likes

I’ll be listening to them at work from now on, or my own tunes

1 Like

Not sure if it’s been pointed out previously, but 2UE, Magic and 4BH all share the same Juke Box Saturday Night playlist, with 3MP’s Songfest running a separate log.

Interesting for ACE to do this, given the importance of this show especially in the Brisbane market with 4KQ now gone.

2 Likes

60 minutes commercial free from 9am Monday to Friday on 4BH starting this week.

1 Like

I thought 2ue network with 3mp with Saturday Night Song fest rather with 4bh/magic 1278 since 2ue is easy music not classic hits

Radio listening on a Saturday night in any metro market is very low. A station can be number one but it’s based on a handful of listeners.

1 Like

Looks like a slightly refreshed weekday schedule for 4BH starting tomorrow with the addition of BBQ Bob and JAM Nation being added to the line-up.

05:30 - 0900 BBQ Bob
09:00 - 1200 Emily Canning
12:00 - 1500 Trevor Sinclair
15:00 - 1800 Cathy Jubb
18:00 - 1900 JAM Nation
1900 - 24:00 Scott Menz

Also this article featuring an interview with BBQ Bob was in today’s Sunday Mail ahead of tomorrows first program. It reveals that he’ll be doing the show from home, rather than from the Nine Radio’s Cannon Hill based studios.

Bob Gallagher is stepping back behind the microphone and heading into the future with his new breakfast hosting duties at 4BH to be done from home.

Gallagher starts his role at 4BH Classic Hits on Monday morning without the dreaded 3am wake-up and lonely commute to the studio.

Gallagher said he was always willing to embrace new technology.

“I’ve always been one to accept change, and I’ve seen a lot,” Gallagher said.

“When I first started, we were playing vinyl. Then when CDs arrived, I couldn’t work out how to open the plastic case.

“So this will be great. You can set the studios up in the office, your garage, anywhere really.”

5 Likes

Someone at 4BH has a sense of humour. Someone went to the trouble of updating the banner image on the 4BH Twitter account but there have been no tweets since Nov 2020. When pointed out, they finally made a post to the account. I see the station’s account has 176 followers.

4 Likes

meanwhile 2UE and Magic are still left in the past… :confused:

2 Likes

Still liking 4BH ,less yap.yap,yap , hardly any ads and great music.NO Frank Walker from National Tiles yet👍

2 Likes

hehehehe

6 Likes

There’s a story in the SMH that Bob Rogers may come back to radio on 2UE, but he’s said, they’d have to change their format for his show.

I’m not entirely sure that’d work well for 2UE, while I respect what he’s done for the industry, I feel it was him holding back 2CH in the end, (before SEN bought it), he probably should’ve left earlier than he did, & gone to a community station if he wanted to continue (which it seems he did/does).

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/full-circle-moment-as-bob-rogers-set-for-radio-return-aged-95-20220714-p5b1rv.html

4 Likes

I agree

2 Likes

Bob’s legion of fans have all taken that final ride in the silver hi-ace. Why would Ace bother.

2 Likes

All the ACE CEO said was that he’d have a chat with Bob when he’s back from holidays. I don’t think this will happen especially if Bob wants to play Doris Day songs.

1 Like

I thoroughly enjoyed Bob’s Saturday Night reminiscing show and the very varied and eclectic music selection it contained. Bob’s stories didn’t always seem relevant to the music but the clips of old interviews were good.

Six hours was probably too long. As a shorter once a week show I could see it working. Maybe 9pm-midnight on a Sunday evening.