Nine Publishing

Are Fairfax NZ paying homage to Channel 7’s 70’s logo for their website, or did they just steal it? icon,

The Age relaunched its website today. It’s interesting it waited until after the federal election for the revamp even though the beta version had been running for the last three months or so.

Fairfax announced today it would split its Domain Group away from its Australia Metro Media division ahead of the company’s full year financial results next week. It also revealed $989 million of pre-tax write-downs for the value of its metro, regional and New Zealand publishing divisions.

Fairfax considering selling their regional papers to a private equity firm - http://www.adnews.com.au/news/fairfax-plots-sale-of-regional-papers

Presumably keeping the suburban weeklies?

I’d assume its their ACM Assets as listed here - http://www.fairfaxmedia.com.au/ArticleDocuments/193/Publications%20and%20Websites%20-Feb16.pdf.aspx?Embed=Y

I wonder if they will try and keep the Canberra Times, Newcastle Herald and the Illawarra Mercury

Personally, I think that Fairfax will most likely keep The Canberra Times. As the largest local newspaper in the national capital, The Canberra Times is currently treated as a “metropolitan” newspaper in many of the same ways (print/website layout, the “Independent Always” slogan, etc) as the SMH or The Age are.

Despite both papers serving two of Australia’s largest non-capital city areas, The Newcastle Herald & Illawarra Mercury are very much treated in the same way as any other regional newspaper currently owned by Fairfax so I won’t be surprised if those two are sold off.

The Illawarra Mercury is printed in Richmond along with the other Fairfax Sydney papers, isn’t it?

1 Like

Fairfax reported its full-year results this morning. It made an underlying profit of $132.5 million, down 7.6% on the previous year. EBIT was $213.2 million with more than half of it coming from Domain ($107.3 million). Its metro division (which publishes The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald) earned $13.8 million, down a massive 55% from last year. The company posted a net loss after tax of $894.5 million after last week’s billion-dollar writedown for its publishing divisions.
The company has also announced it will stop publishing audited digital subscriber figures. It will now release, along with its financial results to the ASX, only a total number of paid digital subscribers based on its internal numbers. It has a total of 209,000 paid digital subscribers across The Age, SMH and AFR.

Wouldnt surprise me, Fairfax centralised their printing operations to a handful of sites a few years ago

No television coverage of this Sunday’s Sydney City2Surf, but it appears that the race will be streamed on Facebook. https://m.facebook.com/cityrunseries

What year was it last televised and by what station?

Turns out Nine did some coverage yesterday. Sunrise did very sparse coverage last year. No idea when it was last broadcast in full. Ten did it for a few years, and before that Seven in Sydney broadcast in full for many years.

1 Like

According to Mumbrella, Fairfax has launched a new subscriber-only website called Subscribers First, which provide readers with a twice-daily curated version of the content from The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald (updated at midnight and midday AEST), with plans to potentially offer readers exclusive content in the future. Subscribers can also access the ‘Today’s Paper’, an interactive digital version of current and archive issues of the SMH and The Age.

The Traveller liftout will be added to The Sunday Age from August 21. In the past few years it has been inserted in The Sun-Herald only on Sundays, as well as The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald on Saturdays. I reckon the move is to counter the relaunch of the Sunday Herald Sun on the same day.

Realistically how long after the end of the print versions would all-digital Fairfax news websites keep names like The Sydney Morning Herald on a digital-only website that is 24/7?

I can’t see the name changing. The Australian Women’s Weekly has been monthly for over 30 years.

1 Like

yeah but it can’t really be called the Australian Women’s Monthly without all the period jokes :smiley:

Good Weekend will publish its first ever glossy issue tomorrow (Saturday) with the Design and Innovation edition. The edition features a cover by Mercedes-Benz to mark the launch of the all-new E-Class.

Has the weekday cover price of The Age gone up? If so, what was it previously and now?