I am not sure if this helps in terms of quality:

1 Like

Hosts

1 Like

Expert commentators 1

2 Likes

Expert commentators 2

2 Likes

So if you live outside Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth, the only way to hear Nine’s radio coverage is through live streaming online or app.

Unless Nine can come to a late deal with other radio networks between now and the opening ceremony, I think analogue radio coverage will be severely limited.

I feel Nine’s coverage is heavily orientated at the four capital cities where it has presence in TV, radio and newspapers, and has no consideration for sports fans living in other parts of Australia, especially areas with limited internet connection.

3 Likes

Schedule

Media Kit can be viewed

7 Likes

Hats off to Nine publicity for that media kit :clap: This should appease some MS members.

4 Likes

looking at the media kit,

Swimming:
Caller: Thompson
Experts: Thrope, Rooney, Cole Campbell
Interviews: Kelly

Athletics:
Callers: Whateley, Culbert
Experts: Johnson, Hooker, Lewis-Maanou
Interviews: Jones

Basketball
Caller: Speed
Expert: Gaze, O’Hea

Beach Volleyball
Caller: Woodbridge?
Expert: Pottharst

BMX
Caller: McGrory
Expert: Buchanan, Williams, Tomlinson,

Boxing
Caller/Expert: Raymond

Canoe
Caller: Culbert, McInnes
Expert: Fox, Tomkins

Cycling
Caller: McGrory, Liggett
Expert: Bates, Evans, Smith, Bates

Diving:
Caller: Taylor
Expert: Fricker

Men’s Soccer:
Caller: Papalia
Expert: Gill

Women’s Soccer
Caller: Speed
Expert: Gill

Hockey
Caller: Davies
Expert: Parker

Rowing
Caller: Hill
Expert: Tomkins, Williams

Rugby 7’s
Caller: ?
Expert: Naiqama, Mitchell

Shooting:
Caller: Psaltis
Expert: Mark

Skateboarding
Caller: ?
Expert: Boserio, Tomlinson

Triathlon
Caller: McCloy
Expert: Snowsill

2 Likes

Yes, a great comprehensive lists there, and thanks @TV.Cynic for adding them.

I know that the schedule for the weeks, that some sports will overlap. But i do hope that Nine will cover most of them, and not overdo the recaps/replays on some of the more well-known sports. 9Gem will certainly cover the “smaller” events.

17.5 hours coverage per day on Nine dedicated to the Olympics, which is great. But am sure that the remaining 6.5 hours will have a huge chunk of coverage (6,30am-11am: Today in Paris. 11am-12pm: Morning News and the 6-7pm News)

1 Like

Sean Maloney will be the caller.

1 Like

Tony Jones and Roz Kelly seemingly demoted (from their Australian Open host positions), as is Emma Lawrence and Matthew Pavlich.

While James Bracey, Nick McArdle and Sam McClure remain hosts at the Olympics.

Add in randoms like Allison Langdon, Eddie McGuire, Leila McKinnon and Sylvia Jeffreys, who aren’t officially part of Wide World of Sports and two who have nothing to do with sport, one isn’t really even at the network anymore. Makes me think this was a higher up decision to keep some network talent happy they are prominent on the Olympic Games coverage or legacy from London 2012 in the case of McGuire (him going back 30+ years with the network and sport) and McKinnon (these two also best mates/spouse of the former two-time long-time CEO).

At least Todd Woodbridge and Dylan Alcott are part of Wwos.

Karl Stefanovic and Sarah Abo aside, given they’re technically hosting The Today Show, whether its in a proper form or not.

2 Likes

The 1 thing I’m hoping 9 does is create a new Twitter account for all their Olympics content. They have one for AFL (Footy on nine) & NRL (NRL on Nine) but use WWOS Twitter for most of their other sports news etc.

Having a dedicated twitter account for Olympics would be great to see Australian medals etc instead of going through their wwos twitter or 9Now to see highlights etc. iirc 7 had a 7olympics Twitter or changed their 7sports into their Olympics channel.

1 Like

Comprehensive release though still not giving everything away.

Should the last line be 8.00 am - 5.00pm

4 Likes

This afternoon I rang up Channel 9 Perth and asked about the availability of NRL Commentators. Mat Thompson and Brenton Speed will be travelling to Paris to call the Swimming and the basketball respectively. I feel that Peter Psaltis is the only NRL caller that he will commentate the rugby league games. The receptionist mentioned that I had a valid point. I believed that Nine need to have extra play-by-play NRL callers while Mat Thompson and Brenton Speed are in Paris.

There won’t be any

2 Likes

Except he’s also calling the Shooting

3 Likes

Cheers mate, although Specsavers will be annoyed with the delayed appointment now lol

Probably the second-worst office to have called about that lol

Previously called Perth Glory games for Fox.

1 Like

I thought Clint Stanaway was part of the team, he’s definitely over there for coverage.

2 Likes

Weekend Today co-anchor?

Wouldn’t be surprised if he pops up ‘around the grounds’ roving reporting or colour pieces (like he does at the Australian Open) and previously the likes of Emma Davenport, Nathan Templeton, the great Neil Kearney at Seven

2 Likes