Nine Olympic Coverage

Continuing discussion from

4 Likes

This is way to early, but seeing as it looks like I’ll be the first non-OP here, I’ll fire off first:

Wonder if Nine will run two broadcast feeds (like Seven) say main channel and 9Gem, but due to NRL and other clashes like tennis and RU plus Today Show and 6pm news also have to utilise 9Life or 9Rush in markets when needed?

Also wonder what 9Now’s coverage will include, given Stan Sport - this is sure to polarise/alienate as it can’t not be a factor in both them securing rights and their production.

1 Like

Some coverage of the 12 months to Paris date this morning.

7 Likes

9Go! you’d think, unlikely to use the others due to out-of-metro deficiencies. 9Rush almost certainly will never carry sport. I could see them however moving clashing coverage to 9Now only.

1 Like

They might be okay actually thinking about calenders, maybe only the Rugby Championship (Aus/Nz/Arg/Sa) around that time late July on Saturday nights plus NRL and 6pm news clashes of course. Wimbledon and Super Rugby should have just finished. And don’t think Nine would have other sports around then, unless niche on 9Now or Stan only. Don’t have horse racing like Seven.

Probably only Perth/regional Wa markets on Friday and Saturday night, predicted schedule:

6-7pm:

Channel 9: Nine News Perth
9Gem: NRL or RU
9Go!: Olympics feed 1 (due to news)
9Life or 9Rush: Olympics feed 2 (due to NRL / RU)

And simulcast on 9Now and all sport feeds also on 9Now and Stan Sport (ad free).

It’s messy though, as we saw during Seven’s Tokyo 2020 (2021) and many social media anger and confusion, as both Olympics feeds shift due to not just news but NRL contracted to either 9 or 9Gem (can’t imagine NRL would be happy with 9Go! or especually Life or Rush LOL) even though in AFL markets they’ve had to be on 9Go! before.

I’m presuming Olympics, as always seen at least Seven (what happened during London 2012?) takes precedence over NRL even in Sydney and Brisbane main channel and that would continue in 2024?

2 Likes

NRL I think would be on 9Go!, with a feed staying on 9Gem all the time.

2 Likes

If Nine were smart they would at least convert 9Go! to HD ahead of the games.

4 Likes

7flix was used in Perth during the CG in 2018.

7flix has been used in multiple markets, for multiple feeds, of multiple games, multiple times now. Last IIRC was last year’s Birmingham Comm Games in Perth on Friday and/or Saturdays due to Seven News + AFL + Comm Games 1 + Comm Games 2.

1 Like

Nine’s past Olympic watermark

7 Likes

Nine like 7 will have to juggle between NRL and the Olympics next July

1 Like

Maybe I’m pessimistic but I imagine most of the extra feeds will end up on Stan exclusively.

3 Likes

Surely they’re not going to go backwards from what Seven have done, just like they could’ve but didn’t with the Australian Open. Public backlash / social media will implode on a level we’ve never seen I’m sure!

1 Like

The feeds will all be there, but you can watch in 4K and ad-free on Stan.

NINE ANNOUNCES PARTNERSHIP WITH THE AUSTRALIAN OLYMPIC COMMITTEE

Elite moments created by athletes deserve elite coverage

As the world marks Olympic Day, Nine today announces it has entered into a partnership with the Australian Olympic Committee which will help support and promote athletes on their journey towards Brisbane 2032.

With Nine now an Official Partner of the Australian Olympic Team, the three year partnership gives Nine cross platform marketing rights, and special access to content and athletes. The collaboration provides Nine with an opportunity to champion elite and up and coming athletes across an unrivalled ecosystem of assets covering television, audio and streaming.

The partnership covers Paris 2024, Milan Cortina 2026, the Youth Olympic Games in 2024 and 2026 as well as this year’s Pacific Games and World Beach Games, with Nine receiving exclusive access to the Australian team during these games.

Complementing Nine’s ten year deal with the International Olympic Committee, being an Official Partner of the Australian Olympic Team cements Nine’s role as Australia’s Olympic Network and its commitment to share the inspirational stories of our athletes and growing the Olympic spirit.

Today’s Olympic Day - a global annual event which promotes the Olympic spirit by encouraging people to be active or try an Olympic sport - is recognised in Australia by the #HaveAGo campaign. Led by the AOC, #HaveAGo encourages Australians to put 30 minutes aside to have a go at an Olympic sport, whether it be during their workplace lunch break or out of hours.

Nine’s Chief Executive Officer, Mike Sneesby, said: “Nine is proud to become an official partner of the Australian Olympic Team, playing a part to promote the Olympic movement. We look forward to working with the AOC over the coming years to help support our athletes as they strive for Olympic glory.

“On any given day, countless Australian children are playing sport dreaming of one day competing on the world’s ultimate stage. With Brisbane 2032 less than a decade away, our commitment to the Olympic movement is to shine a light on those dreams, share athletes’ stories and help grow the Olympic spirit.”

AOC Chief Executive Officer, Matt Carroll, said: “This is wonderful news for us on Olympic Day. The deal encompasses Nine’s television and radio networks across Australia as well as video on demand and streaming services.

“Nine will be broadcasting the Paris Games after signing a broadcast deal with the International Olympic Committee (IOC). We are delighted to have Nine on board as a sponsor and we welcome their commitment to the AOC and our Australian Olympic Team.

“The AOC looks forward to a long and fruitful collaboration with Nine’s broadcast deal with the IOC taking them through to the Brisbane 2032 Olympic Games.”

3 Likes

How is it possible that Nine receives exclusive access to the Australian team during Pacific Games in Solomon Islands this year, given that SBS and NITV have exclusive Australian broadcast rights to the Games?

2 Likes

Happy Olympic Day

4 Likes

Article in today’s Daily Telegraph talking about a ‘talent drought’ at Nine for Paris Olympics for both commentators (gone is Ray Warren who commentated swimming) and host presenters.

I’d say James Bracey, Roz Kelly, Tony Jones and dare I say, Eddie Maguire will host coverage. Matt Thompson will probably take the reins from Rabs and do swimming and unfortunately I’m sure Ray Hadley will feature.

3 Likes

Maybe Eddie could host a 7pm highlights/what you missed during the day/overnight (like Hamish McLachlan’s “In Rio Today” in 2016), before James takes over first live session in prime time after? Put TJ on overnights? And Roz during day time?

What about Karl Stefanovic? Could he do more than just Today Show again, like when he featured during London 2012 and he was said to be integral in getting this rights package when Nine went to the IOC.

1 Like

What else do they say? There isn’t a talent drought really. They do fine during tennis.

Additionally you could see/hear Todd Woodbridge, Louise Ransome, Natalia Cooper (is she still at Nine?), Alex Cullen, Tom Rehn, Ben Fordham, Mark Taylor, Danika Mason, Brenton Speed, Peter Psaltis, Nick McArdle, Seb Costello, Emma Lawrence, Alicia Loxley, Sam McClure, Dylan Alcott, Brett Phillips, Clint Stanaway, Jayne Azzopardi, Carrie-Anne Greenbank, Sylvia Jeffreys, Christine Ahern, Catherine Cox, Karl Stefanovic, Nathan Brown, Craig Hutchinson, Neroli Meadows. That’s just the start, not including those who can only be experts.

2 Likes