Nine Olympic Coverage

Versatile and proficient, also calls their Australian Open and worked on Seven’s Olympics (soccer) plus did NRL and AFL for Fox Sports.

I did wonder if Nine might’ve chosen a longer internal candidate, such as Mat Thomson or Peter Psaltis. It’d have been romantic to have Ray Warren back doing it.

Why not just Giaan Rooney or in combo with Ian Thorpe? Wonder if they’ll both be in the commentary box pool-side or if Nine will only use say Thorpe in-studio at the host position, say for discussion and analysis with James Bracey and utilise those screens/graphics/space, like Thorpey and Hamish McLachlan for Tokyo.

3 Likes

Wonder if they will be able to get some space at the centre? AFAIK even when they go overseas for games quite a few of the events are called from the IBC, depending on space at the venues.

1 Like

Peter Psaltis is calling for the event itself (you can hear him on the speaker in the background).

2 Likes

Ah. That explains that.

1 Like

My bet would be on Thompson calling the Olympic swimming and I guess Speed calling the soccer (probably among other things). No idea where that leaves the NRL though.

4 Likes

You’d think unlikely, but funnier things have happened, could it be possible Nine less than two months out have still not finalised their exact commentary teams/positions and that also might be why their full media kit hasn’t been released yet?

Also wonder if/who the IOC might choose from Australia, to join their World Feed? Haven’t Liz Chetkovic and Steve Robilliard been involved for a long time, Seven certainly used them for the gymnastics.

3 Likes

Peter Psaltis

Night 2 of Wide World of Sports with @peterp79 LIVE from the Olympic Swimming Trials!

Tune in now for a packed show 📻📻 pic.twitter.com/6X7uo4GzYi

— 4BC Brisbane (@NewsTalk4BC) June 11, 2024
5 Likes

If you read my comment, I said para races

1 Like

As mentioned many times before, Bruce McAvaney did do swimming for the World Feed in 2012, and is probably well known in Olympic circles with his 35+ years of covering games, so I would assume that he would get some sort of a look in.

I don’t think Seven released their kits until around 3 weeks till the games begin, when scheduling is mainly locked in etc.

1 Like

Nine isn’t providing CBC coverage on Stan Sport. Hope they do so come the 2026 Winter Olympics in Italy.

3 Likes

I reckon 9Now could be in with a chance of breaking 7Plus’ all-time bvod record set by the Matildas last year with 1m live stream viewers (certainly adding on demand), if Nins’s recent SOOs / NRL GF / NRL games are anything to go by.

It’ll definitely beat 7Plus’ Tokyo Olympics, which were consistently in the 100k or sometimes 200k range (which at the time was high and records for 7Plus).

5 Likes

The ratings for Tokyo are pretty much irrelevant anyway due to COVID lockdowns and everyone being home

3 Likes

CBC is my go to for winter games coverage (via VPN) - its so much better than the local coverage

3 Likes
7 Likes

Across the two-week period, 2GB will be on air for 150 odd hours commentating on the games. It will have a team in Paris and a team in Sydney, who will broadcast right across Nine Radio’s network.

Heading into his seventh Olympic Games, Hadley leads the commentary team in Paris, where he will be doing the swimming commentary with Libby Trickett and the athletics commentary with Jane Fleming as co-commentator.

18 people consisting of talent, producers, and journalists will be travelling to Paris for the games and Nine’s two radio breakfast shows, Ben Fordham at 2GB and Ross and Russ at 3AW will be taking their programs over to Paris for the first week of the games.

Nine Radio’s Paris Olympics coverage begins at 6pm AEST each night with a national edition of Wide World of Sports, and finishes at 5.30am next morning.

5 Likes

The studio has been fitted with four TVs to ensure there is complete coverage of all events at all times.

Pwoah, world class that! :joy:

7 Likes

Need 30+ to cover every sport though.

The following paragraph after that clarifies it:

“There’s a total of 46 venues across the Olympics, and we have a view of 44. There’s never a time when all 46 are used at one time, but we’ve got the view to have a look at everything,” Roberts said.

And looking at the images, one of the screens shows a multiview source.

2 Likes

But we’ll only care about the stuff the Australians are in

2 Likes

Stan has no multiview unfortunately