Nine Olympic Coverage

5:30 or 6am would have been marginally better.

But agree re the Matildas. Couldn’t be a worse time than 3am to be honest.

4 Likes

Found it interesting that the highlights from previous olympics during the swimming trials broadcast tonight have Matt Thompson commentating not the world feed versions that were live in Tokyo. Looks like Thompson has re-recorded voiceovers from Tokyo to be used for promos and shows for Nine. Obviously they wouldn’t have used Seven’s calls but thought it was interesting they have redone them

2 Likes

Yep, Speed has revoiced things for the podcasts and shows too for the other sporting events.

1 Like

That’s an interesting decision to avoid using seven, although probably just copyright issues.

Would’ve thought the world feed would suffice but I’m guessing it lacks authenticity and excitement as it has to be neutral.

2 Likes

What also lacks authenticity is Nine faking history by pretending their commentators called Olympic moments they didn’t have the rights to…

It’s an outrageous rewriting of history.

10 Likes

All Boomers and 2/3 Opals group games are at 7pm or 9:30pm AEST. 4/5 Kookaburras games have start times between 6pm and 9:30pm; Hockeyroos have 3/5.

4 Likes

2am :man_shrugging:

This is ridiculous!

It surely must be some copyright thing, to the original local broadcaster/rights holder of a particular Olympics. I’ve noticed Seven freely using their Tokyo footage with their Olympics watermark this year on news reports and their other past Games as well.

Unlike TA, CA, AFL, etc here who’s current rights holders can freely use raw archived or taped vision from various former broadcasters in replays or highlights.

3AW’s Olympics plug during Football ad breaks on Sundays after midday have been using the same Sydney 2000 beach volleyball Kerri Pottharst moment over and over. Thought it was an original station call, but is this also Thomson perhaps?

3 Likes

I just hope Nine won’t try to have its commentators calling Cathy Freeman’s famous 400m win at Sydney Olympics, for its upcoming Paris Games telecast.

5 Likes

They might use Tim Lane’s ABC radio call, he’s also Nine technically (3AW Football)

1 Like

All the enders (at least for Sydney 2000) had the copyright attributed to the International Olympic Committee, so you would think that they would hold the copyright for Seven’s broadcasts, and could order them to hand over the footage.

I think they got someone else to do it for their Olympic launch promo back in December.

1 Like

Or Ray Hadley’s 2GB call.

Edit: Might have been 2UE.

1 Like

I am sure they had Ray’s call last night on the USA v AUS swimming doco. Could have been the 2GB call.

3 Likes

This is great news

1 Like

That’s great news for Australians and Nine.

4 Likes

Yes 2UE had the rights with ABC radio. They had joint “Australian radio” coverage whereby calls were heard across the stations. The only exception were swimming and athletics whereby they used their own commentators.

2 Likes

Nine only have access to the world feed for Olympics where they weren’t the rights holders. The re-record of a voice would be to get an Australian commentating. Using a Seven commentator is not an option for them.

2 Likes

It won’t be Bruce McAvaney. It would be world free, re-record, or they may be able to use the Hadley call.

Brenton Speed has been commentating the para races at the Australian Swimming Trials so I reckon he will be commentating the swimming events for Nine come Paris.

2 Likes

Just caught a shorter version of Nine’s Olympic promo. Possibly localised for each state as Adelaide got one where there is a shot of the River Torrens.

4 Likes

Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane versions

7 Likes