Nine News Presenters and Reporters

Sophie Walsh presenting the 30 minute East Coast Bulletin this afternoon (Tues 4th)

9 Likes

News presenters do a lot more than just read an hour news bulletin. What about the preparation that they have to do, plus radio duties etc. Itā€™s not as easy as turning up 5 minutes before air time and leaving 5 minutes after it goes to air.

10 Likes

Agreed. Just because theyā€™re on air for an hour + updates doesnā€™t mean that they donā€™t do their 8/9/10 hour days like the rest of us. I know in some stations around the country the anchors are actively involved in producing the bulletin, as well as preparing their scripts, working with reporters to shape stories, record updates/radio segments and participate in community promotional events.

To me it actually seems like a lot to juggle, especially when you consider that lots of anchors around the place have young families and miss out on that crucial after school bonding time.

In saying that, exposure on the 6pm bulletin is invaluable experience for anyone so Iā€™m sure Dougal is just happy to be there.

7 Likes

Gee, how much sympathy must you have for FIFO workers who work (often outdoors) 12 hour shifts each day, sometimes for 2-3 weeks straight and do this year in year out.

Itā€™s not a competition.

6 Likes

His a fairly new young anchor Iā€™m sure he doesnā€™t mind racking up some more experience. Itā€™s not like he had been doing overtime for months on end. Iā€™d probably take the chance too if I was in his boots. Pretty news heavy sort of time, keep the bosses happy also.

3 Likes

No sport presenter again tonight in Melbourne

3 Likes

According to his Facebook page, Hitch is back on Monday.

7 Likes

Livinia also I assume.

1 Like

Over holiday periods in the past we have had newsreaders doing long stints of consecutive days,Dougal will probably have his holidays once Alicia Loxley returns from her holidays this weekend or next weekend.

Plus as already mentioned by @BrekkyTVFan Hitch is back in the chair next week starting his Monday to Thursday roster.

8 Likes

Dougal presented the entire Melbourne bulletin tonight including sport and weather

3 Likes

I canā€™t see Hitch returning next week if there are concerns about a Covid outbreak in the Melbourne newsroom.

1 Like

Wonder if Nine would have the resources and/or be willing to to set up a home studio for Hitch to read the news like Tracy did on ACA, if Hitch doesnā€™t want to come in.

I canā€™t see that happening, it would change the fabric of the bulletin too much.

Thatā€™s different to doing an OB on location for a distinct reason.

2 Likes

Hitch posted on his Instagram this morningā€¦l suppose we will wait and see if this changes over the weekend.
I do remember Hitch saying on radio last year that he was following special precautions in the studio only being around make-up/hair staff and fellow presenters of the bulletin.

2 Likes

Lizzie Pearl presented this bulletin on Wednesday and Thursday this week.

EDIT-
Friday 7 January-

Davina Smith is presenting Morning News and Afternoon News today.

7 Likes

They just aired a promo for his return on Monday.

4 Likes

Charles Croucher is presenting 6pm bulletin tonight in Sydney

UPDATE
Danika Mason on sport and Airlie Walsh on weather

9 Likes

Friday 7 January-

Clint Stanaway came out of isolation this morning and is back presenting sport in Melbourne.
Also Madeline Slattery is back presenting weather tonight.

8 Likes

11 Likes